News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[Mod request] Universal Ban Database a.ka. "The SMF Blacklist"

Started by Niteblade, July 04, 2006, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niteblade

Recently, and not so recently, we all have heard of some person from Turkey attempting to do an exploit, sometimes successfully for those not patched and sometimes un-successfully for those who are patched, with Tiny Portal.

I think it would be in the interest of all SMF admins, novices and experienced alike, to be able to share the most severe cases of who is banned and for what reason. I think we all, as admins, can agree that the person from Turkey, with the username "DELi1" and email address "[email protected]" must be banned from all SMF sites because of user's interest in hacking those of us who run Tiny Portal.

As per this post, http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=97391.0, from a trusted member of the SMF community, I banned user "DELi1" without question and without hesitation.

Since SMF automatically communicates to the mother site, simplemachines.org proper, though the admin interface, it would be nice to see the ability to update the "SMF Blacklist" in this manner from the SMF parent site. All admins "trust" information, patches, mods, and software packages given by the simplemachines mother site, therefore, I believe that the SMF mother site should also distribute the blacklist.

I have no idea how this would be implemented or how the Blacklist would be updated, however, the need for admins to share information among themselves regarding the most severe cases of users "hacking" SMF sites needs to be made known --- and users, email accounts, and ip addresses need to be pre-emptively banned on the recommendation from the SMF parent site.

I would, without question or hesitation, ban anyone that is recommended to be banned by the senior members of this site, and by the communial collaboration of all the admins who visit this site. If someone has a problem as to "why" they were added to the blacklist, then a corresponding link to the
SMF parent site would be provided.

Does anyone else have any contributing ideas to the logistical "structure" of such a modification ?

Each one of us, as admins, have put in hours, days, weeks, and months of labor and anguish into our respective sites. And for one person, or many people, to come along and screw with our harmony deeply angers me. If someone screwed around with an admin from another SMF site, I don't even want to run the risk of having them mess around on my site. I would ban such a user pre-emptively, and refer them to a corresponding link.

I'm attempting to run a finance site; and if a user screws around with the admin of an automotive SMF site, then I would immediately ban them from accessing my finance site.

I'm interesting in hearing all opinions on this. I'm a newbie admin myself. I'm attempting to learn SMF, PHP, hosting, and the like. I've put real time, effort, and my personal money into making my site happen. And I'm sure there are many people like myself who look to the programmers and coders and mod makers of SMF for advice and help.

To have one individual attempt to bring any site down for any reason infuriates me to no end. I wish I could do more than just "ban" them because they are messing around with the product of my love and labor.

Anyhow, I'm done venting. Please contribute your thought to this thread.
affiliate blog

Jon Just Jon

I think this is a great idea.

Your comment on the 'hours, weeks, months' spent on creating a Forum, and therefore a Community that is focused and therefore worthwhile totally rings true with me.

Thankfully I have had no intrusions, but I can see the danger - allways best to be paranoid :)

Thumbs up on this idea.
Best of luck with your Forum nite0859.
Love, Peace and...

niko

If this will be "mod" it can't use official site since it's unofficial modification to smf.

I don't like this idea because no body want to keep "alone" database up. So it would require that "any admin/moderator" can ban from their own forum someone with reason being they don't like this person or rather hates she/he so much that could do very bad things, so they could easily make up reasons and submit it to global database.

I would more like feature that anyone could submit information about bans, reasons, but it would not do anything in place of admin.

So website with database and integration to fetch and check if theres someone has account/visited etc. your site. And email alert when they register.

It would be like posting here and then admin checking if she/he has visited forum. Automated with email alert, and also alert of new bans posted to database.
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Advertisement: