News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[REQUEST] Misery / Alternative to banning [REQUEST]

Started by jkrlvgn, July 09, 2006, 09:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkrlvgn

-=[ Misery ]=-

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/5837

Quoted from the above website:

Quote###################
Misery Users 1.2 for ipb2.1.x
Original from .MutantMonkey
Port by TCattitude
###################

First of all, thanks to .MutantMonkey for this mod.
This is just a clean port of his hack from
ipb2.0.x to ipb2.1.x.

A version of "miserable users" from vbulletin.
This allows you to make a member MISERABLE instead
of put a direct ban on it. A MISERABLE user have
random time outs, not found pages, home redirects
and long delays when is trying to navigate your
board  ;)
More effective way to "ban" problematics users.

Have you ever had a member that was hassling you or your members?  Have you ever had that one problem user that JUST wouldn't go away?  Banning isn't working, because the little bugger just uses a different way to connect to the board?

Well, THIS mod would be a great addition to help deal with those users.  They wouldn't know it was a direct ban, because it'd seem like there would just be problems with the server...and eventually, due to frustration, they'd give up.

If I knew PHP, I'd be coding this for SMF right now...I think that this would be a useful mod (not a feature, mind you, because some people don't need it), and I think that all of you code-wizards would have a ball coding and claiming this mod.

Well...that, and I could really use it for something other than IPB.

Consider it, and lemme know?

Thanks!

- JK

jkrlvgn

Mmmhmm.

Is it that no one wants to do it, or that it can't be done?  If it's a matter of getting paid, lemme know...maybe we can work something out.

Tony Reid

Its not a very constructive idea for a mod because all its going to do is enrage them.

If you really want to aggravate them then would it not be better to use the permissions system to reduce there ability and what they can/cannot see?.

Perhaps give them a really nasty looking theme?

Anyhow its not the sort of thing I would do - and I doubt many others would either.

The simple thing is to ban them.

Tony Reid

jkrlvgn

Well...it -might- enrage them, but I doubt it.

I've used it in the past, on IPB, and with the way it actually works, it just makes it seem like the page isn't working/taking too long to load...

Banning them would enrage them too, if they were the type, and more than likely, if they wanted to, they'd find a way back on.  Then again, that might be just me, I don't know.

But...it's ok.  It was just an idea from another forum that I thought might be useful.

*S*

Thanks, though, for the reply!

Advertisement: