• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
October 25, 2021, 11:26:52 AM

News:

SMF 2.1 RC4 has been released! Try it out and help us test! :) Read more.


Deny Access to a board

Started by Alexa Lynne, November 29, 2013, 11:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexa Lynne

I am not sure this has been implemented into 2.x, but I have a board that requires 100 posts in order for members to view it (Not required for Admins). I also state that members must be in good standing in order to view it. What i'm wanting to do is if a member screws up or breaks a rule, and requires punishment, I want to block just that person from viewing this particular board.  Is there a way to do this?

Kindred

not easily... if at all....

board viewing permissions do not include the ability to DENY.
and if a user is in the 100+ count post group, then they have permission to access it.
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: Kindred on November 29, 2013, 11:42:12 PM
not easily... if at all....

board viewing permissions do not include the ability to DENY.
and if a user is in the 100+ count post group, then they have permission to access it.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'm not sure what to do. Guess I will have to come up with some other punishment. . LOL

Burke ♞ Knight

Can't you just make a new member group that has no permission to view the board?

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: BurkeKnight on November 29, 2013, 11:48:43 PM
Can't you just make a new member group that has no permission to view the board?

Never thought of that. . BUT if i did that, and put the troubled member in that group, wouldn't that deny him from viewing the entire forum?

Arantor

There is no way to do this in SMF right now.

SMF 2.1 has some functionality around denying groups to boards, though it won't be easy to backport into a mod.

There was a mod, ages ago, that could do it but it hasn't been updated in years.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Burke ♞ Knight

All you need to do, is set the boards up so that group can not see the ones you do not want them to see.

Modify board, and make sure that the new group is not check marked to view the board. :)

Arantor

Except the scenario he outlined can't be done.

If you make the board open to 100+ posts, there's *no* way to prevent anyone with 100+ posts from entering that board without a code change. You *can* create a new group and lock out permissions in that board but it won't prevent entering it.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: BurkeKnight on November 29, 2013, 11:48:43 PM
Can't you just make a new member group that has no permission to view the board?

I created the new membergroup, unchecked the boards that I didn't want the members to be able to view, but apparently i'm still doin somethin wrong.  It's not working correctly. I can still see the board and still be able to view the topics in the board (I created a test member so i can test stuff like this).

Arantor

No, you're not doing anything wrong.

I guess I will say it a THIRD time: YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN A BASE SMF 2.0. NO MATTER HOW YOU CONFIGURE IT.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 30, 2013, 12:56:46 AM
No, you're not doing anything wrong.

I guess I will say it a THIRD time: YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN A BASE SMF 2.0. NO MATTER HOW YOU CONFIGURE IT.

My bad Arantor. . I didn't see where u said  "You *can* create a new group and lock out permissions in that board but it won't prevent entering it."

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 30, 2013, 12:05:43 AM
Except the scenario he outlined can't be done.

If you make the board open to 100+ posts, there's *no* way to prevent anyone with 100+ posts from entering that board without a code change. You *can* create a new group and lock out permissions in that board but it won't prevent entering it.

Since it won't prevent them from "entering" that board, will it prevent them from viewing any of the posts that's in that board?

Arantor

Nope, if they can enter it, they can see all the posts. You know, like I said up front that what you want to do can't be done in a standard SMF install.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 30, 2013, 01:15:30 AM
Nope, if they can enter it, they can see all the posts. You know, like I said up front that what you want to do can't be done in a standard SMF install.

I'm sure a lot of coding would need to be done in order for what I want to do, to work.  Maybe SMF 2.1 or whatever version is next will have this implemented :)

Kindred

this is, of course, also the answer that I gave you within 5 minutes of your question... :P

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 29, 2013, 11:56:53 PM
There is no way to do this in SMF right now.

SMF 2.1 has some functionality around denying groups to boards, though it won't be easy to backport into a mod.

There was a mod, ages ago, that could do it but it hasn't been updated in years.
it was a mod first ;) before it was in 2.1

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3311

Arantor

There is also http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2309 which did it back in 2009 but not so easy to configure...
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Alexa Lynne

Quote from: Illori on November 30, 2013, 06:13:20 AM
Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 29, 2013, 11:56:53 PM
There is no way to do this in SMF right now.

SMF 2.1 has some functionality around denying groups to boards, though it won't be easy to backport into a mod.

There was a mod, ages ago, that could do it but it hasn't been updated in years.
it was a mod first ;) before it was in 2.1

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3311


Thank You!  This one works perfectly!

Advertisement: