• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
November 27, 2021, 05:42:05 AM

News:

SMF 2.0.18 has been released! Please update. Read more.


Call to undefined function dl()

Started by beckzy, January 03, 2020, 12:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckzy

I made the mistake of upgrading from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16 (though I'm now using 2.0.17) using the Large Upgrade. Ever since my forum members have been receiving this error when trying to change their avatar, signiture, and adding photos to the SMF Gallery:



Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks :)

Kindred

If you used the large upgrade, then you partially deleted all of your mods.

1- restore the backup of the 2.0.15 files that you took before starting your upgrade
2- use the package manager and the patch files to update.

if you did not take a backup (which should teach you -- ALWAYS take a backup in the future)
Maybe your host has a daily backup?


otherwise -- then you have a more complicated task.. you have to find what code got erased and what code remains...  and then manually put the missing code back in.
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.<br /><br />"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

also hooks may not be in place as they should be. which will cause issues like this.

shawnb61

Just a thought...   Might it be cleaner to remove hooks & simply reinstall?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

beckzy

Quote from: Kindred on January 03, 2020, 12:43:36 PM
If you used the large upgrade, then you partially deleted all of your mods.

1- restore the backup of the 2.0.15 files that you took before starting your upgrade
2- use the package manager and the patch files to update.

if you did not take a backup (which should teach you -- ALWAYS take a backup in the future)
Maybe your host has a daily backup?


otherwise -- then you have a more complicated task.. you have to find what code got erased and what code remains...  and then manually put the missing code back in.
So restore all the backup files then run the upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.0.17 using package manager?

Quote from: shawnb61 on January 03, 2020, 12:58:32 PM
Just a thought...   Might it be cleaner to remove hooks & simply reinstall?
That didn't work :(

Illori

how did you attempt to remove the hooks?

beckzy


vbgamer45

What PHP version are you on? It sounds like that might have been upgraded since dl is an older php function.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Shambles

This "undefined function dl()" error has cropped up previously in the past couple of days.

The dl() function seems to be called by PHP when a required extension has not been nominated in the php.ini file to handle an operation (eg, a file interrogation operation). Some code, somewhere, is trying to circumvent that missing object by doing a dynamic load of the required extension. The dl() function has been deprecated for quite some time as extensions in the php.ini file are the way forward.

The right answer here is to ensure the minimum extension set has been entered in the php.ini file, including (but not limited to)

Code (Windows NT) Select
extension=php_fileinfo.dll

- or (I think) -

Code (Linux) Select
extension=php72-fileinfo

beckzy

January 03, 2020, 01:51:32 PM #9 Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 02:08:44 PM by beckzy
Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 03, 2020, 01:21:52 PM
What PHP version are you on? It sounds like that might have been upgraded since dl is an older php function.
7.2.

Quote from: Shambles on January 03, 2020, 01:28:47 PM
This "undefined function dl()" error has cropped up previously in the past couple of days.

The dl() function seems to be called by PHP when a required extension has not been nominated in the php.ini file to handle an operation (eg, a file interrogation operation). Some code, somewhere, is trying to circumvent that missing object by doing a dynamic load of the required extension. The dl() function has been deprecated for quite some time as extensions in the php.ini file are the way forward.

The right answer here is to ensure the minimum extension set has been entered in the php.ini file, including (but not limited to)

Code (Windows NT) Select
extension=php_fileinfo.dll

- or (I think) -

Code (Linux) Select
extension=php72-fileinfo
Downgrading back to SMF 2.0.15 from backup then upgrading using package manager didn't work. So I'll try that ^, thanks!

Edit: Adding the extension didn't work. The error is still happening

m4z

Quote from: Shambles on January 03, 2020, 01:28:47 PM
- or (I think) -

Code (Linux) Select
extension=php72-fileinfo

That should instead be:
Code (Linux) Select
extension=fileinfo


Edit: Looked up the correct value
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!
<werbung>Meine Freundin hat ihr erstes Buch veröffentlicht!</werbung>

beckzy

Quote from: m4z on January 03, 2020, 02:15:03 PM
Quote from: Shambles on January 03, 2020, 01:28:47 PM
- or (I think) -

Code (Linux) Select
extension=php72-fileinfo

That should instead be:
Code (Linux) Select
extension=fileinfo


Edit: Looked up the correct value

It's working now. Thanks a lot everyone :)

Shambles

Splendid. I'll mark this topic as solved.

shawnb61

Quote from: Shambles on January 03, 2020, 01:28:47 PM
This "undefined function dl()" error has cropped up previously in the past couple of days.

The dl() function seems to be called by PHP when a required extension has not been nominated in the php.ini file to handle an operation (eg, a file interrogation operation). Some code, somewhere, is trying to circumvent that missing object by doing a dynamic load of the required extension. The dl() function has been deprecated for quite some time as extensions in the php.ini file are the way forward.

The right answer here is to ensure the minimum extension set has been entered in the php.ini file, including (but not limited to)

Code (Windows NT) Select
extension=php_fileinfo.dll

- or (I think) -

Code (Linux) Select
extension=php72-fileinfo

Thanks Shambles.  Helpful. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

ozbob

June 09, 2020, 03:39:46 AM #14 Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:02:22 AM by ozbob
Hello.

I have this error too.  Call to undefined function dl()

Bottom of this page https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=12687.msg236629#new

Any idea how I can fix this.  Thread seems to be locked.

The user who caused the error reported that:

" I've been trying to upload an attachment (~130kB PNG) and it's failing miserably. That was fine, but what's really busted things up is when I tried to add it on the edit. "

Thanks
Bob

Arantor

See the quoted post above yours...
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

ozbob

Thanks.  I have managed to resolve the error.

Advertisement: