• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
December 03, 2021, 03:15:30 AM

News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!


Better Profile Menu (SMF 2.0.x Only)

Started by dougiefresh, July 30, 2014, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

Quote from: SMiFFER on October 18, 2016, 02:39:15 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS NICE THING + the "better" Admin menu!

Greatly appreciated!

One request though: Can you include a sub-option "Show threads" (that the user created) WITHOUT listing the first post as SMF does by default?

That would make it perfect!
Thank you!  I believe that that feature was implemented in version 1.9....  Does it not work?

aegersz

a little late for me but i think that this type of mod makes the Admin interface more intuitive, a good mod bro' !
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

SMiFFER

Quote from: dougiefresh on October 18, 2016, 06:18:07 PM
Quote from: SMiFFER on October 18, 2016, 02:39:15 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS NICE THING + the "better" Admin menu!

Greatly appreciated!

One request though: Can you include a sub-option "Show threads" (that the user created) WITHOUT listing the first post as SMF does by default?

That would make it perfect!
Thank you!  I believe that that feature was implemented in version 1.9....  Does it not work?
Errr read carefully what my actual question was. I wrote:
Can you include a sub-option "Show threads" (that the user created) WITHOUT listing the first post as SMF does by default?
At least these 16 (getting more???)steps must be completed for SMF2.1 Final.
Last Full Version: 2.0 Final released more than 10 years ago on 20110604

QUOTE OF Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen: "That version is old enough to go to school itself."
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

dougiefresh

October 19, 2016, 08:22:31 PM #83 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:53:05 PM by dougiefresh
Quote from: SMiFFER on October 19, 2016, 02:17:47 AM
Errr read carefully what my actual question was. I wrote:
Can you include a sub-option "Show threads" (that the user created) WITHOUT listing the first post as SMF does by default?
Whoops..... You're right.  I didn't read carefully.  After thinking about this particular request, I'm not sure that this falls within the stated function of this mod, as this mod's function has been to alter the top menu's Profile menu to expand upon it.  However, it sounds like an easy mod to build, considering almost all the work has already been done within the profile source code.  All that would really be left for writing such a mod is the new template and a minor function addition....

UPDATE: Try my new Threads Participated In mod I just wrote.....  I'll add support to this mod for that other one....

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.11 - October 19th, 2016
o Added support for my new "Threads Participated In" mod.  (Mentioned in previous post)

SMiFFER

Quote from: dougiefresh on October 19, 2016, 08:22:31 PM
...it sounds like an easy mod to build, considering almost all the work has already been done within the profile source code.  All that would really be left for writing such a mod is the new template and a minor function addition....
Looking forward to that then
At least these 16 (getting more???)steps must be completed for SMF2.1 Final.
Last Full Version: 2.0 Final released more than 10 years ago on 20110604

QUOTE OF Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen: "That version is old enough to go to school itself."
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

dougiefresh

Quote from: SMiFFER on October 24, 2016, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: dougiefresh on October 19, 2016, 08:22:31 PM
...it sounds like an easy mod to build, considering almost all the work has already been done within the profile source code.  All that would really be left for writing such a mod is the new template and a minor function addition....
Looking forward to that then
It's been approved and is available here.

SMiFFER

Sorry for pointing back to what I actiually wrote once more, but apparently I have to:
QuoteErrr read carefully what my actual question was. I wrote:
Can you include a sub-option "Show threads" (that the user created) WITHOUT listing the first post as SMF does by default?

So from the beginning my question was about showing the threads THAT THE USER CREATED and not those where he participated.

At least these 16 (getting more???)steps must be completed for SMF2.1 Final.
Last Full Version: 2.0 Final released more than 10 years ago on 20110604

QUOTE OF Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen: "That version is old enough to go to school itself."
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

dougiefresh

Quote from: SMiFFER on October 30, 2016, 08:23:35 AM
Sorry for pointing back to what I actiually wrote once more, but apparently I have to:
QuoteErrr read carefully what my actual question was. I wrote:
Can you include a sub-option "Show threads" (that the user created) WITHOUT listing the first post as SMF does by default?

So from the beginning my question was about showing the threads THAT THE USER CREATED and not those where he participated.
(Sigh)  Dammit, I wish I could read....  ::) O:)

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.0 - November 2nd, 2016
o Rewritten to use only hooks in order to gather the required information.




@Everybody: This update resolves several issues that I felt were easier to address with the mod being entirely hook-based, than how the current situation was.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.1 - November 3rd, 2016
o Rewrote mod to better capture all profile items available to the user.
o Added hook to clear cached profile menu when Core Settings change.




@Everybody:  Sorry about the quick update.  I noticed that the profile menu wasn't showing as everything available to the user in the profile area, so I fixed it.  Also added the hook (as mentioned) so that all profile menus are updated when Core Settings change....

aegersz

if anyone is interested, this mod installs successfully even if the "My Posts" mod is on but remains inactive until you uninstall "My Posts".

this mod makes me wonder why SMF doesn't do this to all menu options by default.

again, a good mod indeed.


The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Steve

November 05, 2016, 07:23:49 PM #92 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:42:36 PM by Steve
I can't seem to get this to work. After installation, hovering over 'Profile' just gives me 'Summary', 'Account Settings' and 'Forum Profile'. :(

Edit: In addition, in my SMFPacks shoutbox everyone's name becomes mine. No matter who shouts, it shows my name.
Please do not PM me for support.

Kindred

Quote from: aegersz on November 05, 2016, 04:43:22 PM
this mod makes me wonder why SMF doesn't do this to all menu options by default.

because crowding the main menu is a really poor user experience.
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.<br /><br />"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dougiefresh

November 06, 2016, 08:48:48 PM #94 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:07:44 PM by dougiefresh
URGENT!!!  STOP USING VERSION 2.0/2.1 RIGHT NOW!!!
I just got a report of a reproducible MAJOR security issue, and it's a doozie:
Quote
Wanted to let you know I appreciate all the time you took to make the Better Profile Menu mod.  I installed it (SMF 2.0.12) and it worked good.  It was nice having the drop down in the profile fly out.  But after I installed it I could not logout.  Went to a different computer (my wife's) and logged in under a different normal user name and MY admin name and access came up!  And then I could not log out of either account.  Here's what I did to try and fix it....
    * Renaming the Cookies on the forum
    * Switched from Local storage of cookies to subdomain independent cookies
    * Changed the default login cookie length from 60 minutes to 1 minute
    * Changed the unused session timeout from 2880 seconds to 30
    * Cleared all the cookies on my wifes computer
           but it still shows her logged in as me and the moderator options available
    * Emptied the File Cache in the Forum Maintenance
    * Cleared the cookies from my computer

None of that fixed the logout issue.  So I started uninstalling the last few mods I installed in the order I installed them.  I had just installed your mod, Add Join Date, and Mention members.  Removing them one at a time (Mention Members, Join Date and then the Better Profile menu),  Each time I removed one I would try to logout.  It wasn't until I removed the Better Profile Menu that I could logout.  I reinstalled Mention Members & Join Date and the logout is still working.  So I'm guessing it was a conflict in some of those mods and the Better Profile menu.  Either way, I wanted to let you know what happened.  This is in no way a knock on your mod.  I think it was really cool and if it worked with my set up I would be running.  Thank you for making the mod and have a great day.
The mod has been pulled from the Customization Site until the issue has been straightened out!

Ninja ZX-10RR

I'm at 1.7 (lol, pretty much customized all of it), is it affected as well?
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on November 06, 2016, 08:52:17 PM
I'm at 1.7 (lol, pretty much customized all of it), is it affected as well?
No, just version 2.0 and 2.1!

Off-Topic: Mind attaching your Sources/Subs-BetterProfileMenu.php?  I'm curious to see what you did....  O:)

Ninja ZX-10RR

November 06, 2016, 09:23:15 PM #97 Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:39:46 PM by Kindred
Attaching also Subs.php, by the size of it, it should already tell you something ;D I can't remember myself how much code I changed of that thing O:) I just know that it'd be a major pain to uninstall it, because of the way it works it's just part of the system.

And thanks, I guess I won't have to uninstall it :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Thanks, got them.  If you want, you can remove the attachments :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Nope, because of the "funny" edit time limitations :D It's ok anyway.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: