News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Preview][SMF 2.1]Operating System Based SMF Themes

Started by TwitchisMental, March 05, 2022, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwitchisMental

Well I have been having fun with this so far, so I am going to make it my next project.

I am making a theme pack with the design colors based on various different Operating Systems. I am not going to be making a theme based on every Operating System under the sun though . I will be choosing really colorful Operating Systems.

These will all be built upon my Orangey theme.

So far I have planned Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Windows XP, FreeBSD,Hot Dog Stand Windows 3.1, and Mac OS X. This list could expand.

Previews -

Ubuntu

You cannot view this attachment.

OpenSuse

You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

TwitchisMental

With a little bit of research and tinkering... I made the category bar look like a Windows XP taskbar for my Windows XP theme :D .

You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

gevv

Hi,

Ubuntu theme eye strain.  Background color can be darker.

just idea :)
you are the expert
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

TwitchisMental

Quote from: gevv on March 05, 2022, 04:11:47 PMHi,

Ubuntu theme eye strain.  Background color can be darker.

just idea :)
you are the expert
All feedback is welcome. I am by no means an expert lol.  What specifically is causing eye strain?

My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

gevv

Hi,

it looks better when the background color is darker (in my opinion)

+ white sections light yellow
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

mickjav

Quote from: gevv on March 06, 2022, 02:40:22 AMHi,

it looks better when the background color is darker (in my opinion)

+ white sections light yellow

No A Fan of that lol

Home of Chart Tracker Elite, Apollo & DJ 2020, Coming soon The Librarian.

Antes

Quote from: TwitchisMental on March 05, 2022, 01:47:37 PMWith a little bit of research and tinkering... I made the category bar look like a Windows XP taskbar for my Windows XP theme :D .

You cannot view this attachment.

Here have my suffering... https://github.com/XinYenFon/winXP

mickjav

Quote from: TwitchisMental on March 05, 2022, 01:47:37 PMWith a little bit of research and tinkering... I made the category bar look like a Windows XP taskbar for my Windows XP theme :D .

You cannot view this attachment.

That reminds ne of windows 3.1 Good Old Days Lol

Home of Chart Tracker Elite, Apollo & DJ 2020, Coming soon The Librarian.

TwitchisMental

So I don't know how far I will really go with this XP theme... but I just had to do this lol.

I made a windows xp taskbar with start button lmao.

You cannot view this attachment.



My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

TwitchisMental

OpenSuse Theme Update -

Board Index :

You cannot view this attachment.

Message Index :

You cannot view this attachment.

Post :

You cannot view this attachment.

Ubuntu Theme -

Board Index :

You cannot view this attachment.

Message Index :

You cannot view this attachment.

Post :

You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

TwitchisMental

Changed the body background color for the OpenSuse and Ubuntu themes. I think it makes it pop more.

You cannot view this attachment.


You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

Antechinus

You mean it will distract attention from the forum content and focus it more on the background, thus causing internal conflict in anyone trying to read posts.

I don't agree with gevv's suggestion of colours, but I do agree with the basic principle. Personally I find themes much easier to use in practice if the body background on desktop is a darker shade that "blends into the background" rather than trying to make things "pop".

There's a difference between making something that just looks cool, and making it easy and pleasant to use. My 2c. :)

(Incidentally, translucent themes are a great example of this problem. I've seen plenty that look cool, and have even made some myself, but they tend to be an absolute bastard to use for any length of time.)

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Antechinus on March 07, 2022, 04:05:13 PMYou mean it will distract attention from the forum content and focus it more on the background, thus causing internal conflict in anyone trying to read posts.

I don't agree with gevv's suggestion of colours, but I do agree with the basic principle. Personally I find themes much easier to use in practice if the body background on desktop is a darker shade that "blends into the background" rather than trying to make things "pop".

There's a difference between making something that just looks cool, and making it easy and pleasant to use. My 2c. :)

(Incidentally, translucent themes are a great example of this problem. I've seen plenty that look cool, and have even made some myself, but they tend to be an absolute bastard to use for any length of time.)
I mean to be fair, the body background is still a darker shade :P. If you get distracted by a plain background color well that is all on you haha :P.

Joking aside, I felt like the background was a bit to dark, now it is just a bit to light.  Middle grounds will need to be found haha. Thank you for the feedback.

My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

Antechinus

I don't get distracted by a plain background colour (ha ha). I get distracted by a background shade that is too light in comparison to the forum content (ha ha). It's a question of balance, not of colour per se (ha ha). Which I thought I had made clear (ha ha).

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Antechinus on March 07, 2022, 04:19:55 PMI don't get distracted by a plain background colour (ha ha). I get distracted by a background shade that is too light in comparison to the forum content (ha ha). It's a question of balance, not of colour per se (ha ha). Which I thought I had made clear (ha ha).

Well do you think either of these two would be better choices as far as the body background color goes?

1

You cannot view this attachment.

2

You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

Antechinus

I'd go with something like the green. I think it's a better fit with the rest of the theme.

TwitchisMental

Been pretty busy as of late, but I got some time to fiddle with the XP theme some more.

You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

TwitchisMental

Alright I am pretty much done with the Ubuntu and OpenSuse inspired themes.  Windows XP one is slowly getting done.  The Windows 3.1 HotDog theme is probably the next one I will start one.

Ubuntu -

You cannot view this attachment.

OpenSuse -

You cannot view this attachment.

Windows XP -

You cannot view this attachment.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

TwitchisMental

MY EYES OH GOD MY EYES HAHAHAHAHAHA

I give to you.. the start of the 3.1 HotDog Stand Theme -

You cannot view this attachment.

Yes I still have a lot left to do, but it has begun XD.
My SMF Themes - Remixed Breadcrumb Tutorial -
My SMF 2.1 Themes Demo
Need a Custom SMF Theme? Send me a message.

Dave J

I like the XP theme, that's very good  ;)

Are you planning on sharing soon?
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Advertisement: