News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Users getting error I have no clue about

Started by bigmo66, Today at 08:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmo66

Hello friends, maybe I can get a little guidance. SMF has been so good to us that I rarely need any help. Lately, there have been a few users getting errors that I just don't know how to address.  Any guidance is surely appreciated.

User receiving the following error

Arantor

bigmo66

Quote from: Arantor on Today at 09:47:39 AMWhat version of SMF do you have?

Sorry, 2.0.19

Been meaning to upgrade, but have years worth of mods and customization.

One user on chrome/windows 10 and another on chrome with an android phone.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: bigmo66 on Today at 10:15:33 AMSorry, 2.0.19

I moved this to the correct board.

What is the collation set to for your sfmf_mesages table in general and the body field in particular? Can you go to the smf_messages table at the database, click the Structure tab and make a screenshot and post it here?

bigmo66

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on Today at 10:33:43 AM
Quote from: bigmo66 on Today at 10:15:33 AMSorry, 2.0.19

I moved this to the correct board.

What is the collation set to for your sfmf_mesages table in general and the body field in particular? Can you go to the smf_messages table at the database, click the Structure tab and make a screenshot and post it here?

I have never did this so don't know how to get there.
Thanks

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: bigmo66 on Today at 10:52:53 AMI have never did this so don't know how to get there.
Thanks

It's very easy. All you have to do is go to phpmyadmin, or whatever tool that you are using to manage your database, select the database that you have used to install the smf forum and go from there. If you don't know the name of the database, you can get it from the Settings.php file. (the value for the $db_name var) Hope it helps.

bigmo66

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: bigmo66 on Today at 12:16:26 PMI think I found it.

Are you sure that you are running Smf 2.0.19 as you said above? I'am asking because looking at your screenshot the column names don't match those of the smf_message table from the 2.0.19 version. You are either running a 1.0.x or 1.1.x version or you made a screenshot of the wrong database. Which is it?

If you run this query at the SQL tab of the right dataabse, what results do you get?

SELECT value FROM smf_settings WHERE variable = 'smfVersion';

I think that it's best if we got the correct forum version sorted out before we proceed to the next step(s).

bigmo66

I am using 2.0.19, but then some older version files. Probably because of the customizing.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: bigmo66 on Today at 12:56:49 PMI am using 2.0.19, but then some older version files. Probably because of the customizing.

In that case the screenshot that you posted above doesn't belong to the dataabse that you have used to install your Smf 2.0.x forum, but to a different one.

Can you please post a screenshot of the smf_settings table from the correct database?

bigmo66

I'll keep trying until you can sick of me!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: bigmo66 on Today at 04:13:11 PMI'll keep trying until you can sick of me!

We have established that you are using smf 2.0.x. Can you please post a screenshot of smf_messages's structure, but please make sure that it's from the right database?

Those users who were getting that error, were they trying to post content with spacial characters in it?

bigmo66

I'll ask what exactly they were posting.

Advertisement: