News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is it Possible to Prefix?

Started by Emre A., August 30, 2021, 09:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emre A.

Is it possible to create subject prefix for SMF?

-[BUG]- Topic title 
-[Fixed]- Topic title
-[Partial fix]- Topic title
-[SMF 2.0]- Topic title
-[SMF 2.1]- Topic title
-[Add-ons]- Topic title
-[Style]- Topic title

This way it can be easier to use. Especially for development. 

Mick.

I think there's a mod available for that

Emre A.

Move the topic, I'm calling out to my friend. I don't want this feature as a plugin. I want this as the default feature for SMF.

shadav

moved to mod requests as this isn't really a feature request for smf

also what version of smf?

if you do a search on the mod site for prefix

this one pops up
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=4038

shadav

Quote from: Emre A. on August 30, 2021, 09:36:35 PMMove the topic, I'm calling out to my friend. I don't want this feature as a plugin. I want this as the default feature for SMF.
well sorry but as not everyone would need/want this as a default option, it most likely won't be added as a feature, but it can be added as a mod and is already available.

Emre A.

Quote from: shadav on August 30, 2021, 09:37:43 PMmoved to mod requests as this isn't really a feature request for smf

also what version of smf?

if you do a search on the mod site for prefix

this one pops up
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=4038
You can use this for the version currently in development. As one of its former users, I know that this plugin exists. I suggest adding it as a feature, not a plugin.
Quote from: shadav on August 30, 2021, 09:38:46 PM
Quote from: Emre A. on August 30, 2021, 09:36:35 PMMove the topic, I'm calling out to my friend. I don't want this feature as a plugin. I want this as the default feature for SMF.
well sorry but as not everyone would need/want this as a default option, it won't be added as a feature, but it can be added as a mod and is already available.
This feature can be used in many areas. I believe it will be an application that has gained its function among different SMF forum users.

shadav

well at just over 4,000 downloads...who's to say maybe in some future version 3.x 4.x
but seeing as how there are more popular mods sitting at over 100,000 downloads
I still say not everyone would need/want this as a default option and can easily add it as a mod if they so wish to use this on their site(s)

shadav

I've moved this back into the feature request for some more higher ups to decide
but have a feeling it'll end up in the declined board

landyvlad

I use that mod all the time, I love it.

Having said that I see no reason for it to be included in the core SMF product - it's fine as mod.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Shades.

Quote from: landyvlad on August 31, 2021, 12:15:33 AMI use that mod all the time, I love it.

Having said that I see no reason for it to be included in the core SMF product - it's fine as mod.
I agree with that! 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Arantor

I would back it as a core feature.

d3vcho

Quote from: Arantor on August 31, 2021, 03:27:24 AMI would back it as a core feature.

Me too, but this is definitely not going to happen for 2.1.x.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Emre A.

Quote from: shadav on August 30, 2021, 09:54:10 PMwell at just over 4,000 downloads...who's to say maybe in some future version 3.x 4.x
You know better than me why. You were so behind in developing SMF that users now had to switch to different software.

Quote from: shadav on August 30, 2021, 11:17:47 PMI've moved this back into the feature request for some more higher ups to decide
but have a feeling it'll end up in the declined board
I'd rather do something and lose than do nothing for me to improve SMF. At least I tried!

Quote from: d3vcho on August 31, 2021, 03:30:05 AM
Quote from: Arantor on August 31, 2021, 03:27:24 AMI would back it as a core feature.

Me too, but this is definitely not going to happen for 2.1.x.
I don't want to discuss the issue further if it won't come for the 2.1.x version. 

Thank you to everyone who participated in the discussion and shared their thoughts with me. I wish you success in developing SMF.

Arantor

You'd probably best use the mod because if 2.1 is anything to go by, 2.2 is going to be 2030 and the headline feature for it is probably going to be fixing all the time/date storage.

shadav

this late into the development, I seriously doubt any new features will be added into 2.1
now if we are talking about future versions say maybe a 3.x (if there is one), then who's to say

and um sorry but I have nothing to do with the development of smf

I just try to offer help/support where I can

but as stated it is a mod, that's currently available to use if one wants this on their own forum

I mean personally there are a lot of mods that I feel should be core features but eh, at least they are mods so I can add them to my own sites

Emre A.

Quote from: shadav on August 31, 2021, 09:19:57 AMthis late into the development, I seriously doubt any new features will be added into 2.1
now if we are talking about future versions say maybe a 3.x (if there is one), then who's to say

and um sorry but I have nothing to do with the development of smf

I just try to offer help/support where I can

but as stated it is a mod, that's currently available to use if one wants this on their own forum

I mean personally there are a lot of mods that I feel should be core features but eh, at least they are mods so I can add them to my own sites
Too many plugin updates or plugin updates will cause bugs! The more plugins you use, the more problems you will have. As far as I understand, teammates who developed SMF do not want to introduce new features. While many of my forum software sites (Paid/Free) are being written with current php versions, SMF is way behind. 

While I was creating this title, I expressed something that many users wanted, but friends did not want to add it. Since 2007, I have helped many of my friends in the Turkish department. Since 2007, I have solved a lot of support by taking care of it as much as I can. Even though I have voluntarily supported them all these years, I saw that they responded without considering what we said. When this is the case, people inevitably want to leave the team.

That's all I have to say.

Arantor

I'm a former member of the dev team and I think this is a really important feature.

The strength of forums is not just being able to host a discussion that isn't immediate, but also to *be able to find it again*. Or some other way to have metadata for topics that lets you categorise them.

I implemented this on my site, I see the benefits of it, I think it should be core, but i get that if you hold up 2.1 yet again it will do no-one any favours.

But this is also a very clear indication that something is very fundamentally not aligned right in the project. Here we are more than 10 years in to 2.1, which was supposed to be a quick release - and I think it's dying on the hill of "no one knows what it should be".

Kindred

Quote from: Emre A. on August 31, 2021, 10:11:51 AMToo many plugin updates or plugin updates will cause bugs! The more plugins you use, the more problems you will have. As far as I understand, teammates who developed SMF do not want to introduce new features. While many of my forum software sites (Paid/Free) are being written with current php versions, SMF is way behind.
QuoteNot really accurate.   I have run a forum with 164 mods installed and no errors.
Also SMF currently runs on php 7.4....    not sure what you mean by SMF is way behind.

QuoteWhile I was creating this title, I expressed something that many users wanted, but friends did not want to add it. Since 2007, I have helped many of my friends in the Turkish department. Since 2007, I have solved a lot of support by taking care of it as much as I can. Even though I have voluntarily supported them all these years, I saw that they responded without considering what we said. When this is the case, people inevitably want to leave the team.

MANY things are considered. Not all can be done.
That's one reason why we have mods!
Now, I don't think this is a bad idea...  but it *IS* a bad idea for 2.1, since introducing a new feature would delay (yet again) the 2.1 release.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Emre A.

@Kindred Aren't you already late for that? I believe that releasing the version by adding a few features will also have an effect on you. Do you claim that you have never had any problems on a site with 164 plugins? Don't expect me to believe that. Because even the slightest mistake is enough to overturn the form! 

As I said using too many plugins hurts users and SMF! I think bringing some features by default would be better in terms of plugin usage and performance!

Arantor

If you're at the point of running 164 plugins, you're doing some of the work yourself making them play nicely together, which is already top 1% of the SMF userbase. The reality is that the 99% can't do that.

That said, 164 mods also tells me that something is rotten in the state of Denmark because if you're running that many mods, what the hell is the forum doing that SMF is so woefully deficient functionality-wise?

Advertisement: