I have not yet been able to reproduce this. I'll try on my localhost.
I upgraded a forum from 1.1.4 (clean minus the installation of tinyportal and felblog, which were both removed prior to upgrade) to 2.0 beta 3 public today.
As I was going over the user preferences, I noticed the drop down language selection under Account Settings was set on Persian. I quickly changed that to English, but when I did so, numerous text strings disappeared, likely all of the text strings new to 2.0.
I'm not sure if this is the manner which I uploaded the files (didn't want to bother with a stand-alone ftp program, so I used Cpanel's filemanager (new one in v11), extracted the upgrade archive to a different folder and moved the new files into the current forum.
Also possible that it was due to the extremely sluggish upgrade process. Possible that's due to my host having some problems over the past few day.
I'd love to chalk this one up to "human error/act of the internet" but I don't want to leave it as such if this is being experienced by others.
And yeah, this should go in bug reports, but I'd want to confirm it as such before it's moved.
Did you overwrote the language files properly?
Try deleting all the language files and uploading new ones from a default SMF package
Language files are in /Themes/default/languages.
Also make sure that you use Default Theme - Core,
The language files are not ready for SMF 2.0 Beta 3 yet. Having these in your language folder will cause issues.
Make sure the languages folder got updated with the new english language files.
Ok, well then perhaps the upgrade could delete them? I installed this installation from Fantastico, which installs ALL of the language files by default.
I'll restore the language files from the install archive and see if that works.
You can simply put your forum into maintenance mode 2 (via Settings.php in FTP or File Manager).
First making a backup. Then remove the old languages folder and finally uploading the new languages folder. This would be the quickest way to do this.
We know about the Fantastico issue. Sadly these things take time and then once they are fixed your host needs to update their cpanel to get the fix..
Ok, I'm quite certain this was just a botched upload. No bug here, I think.
Let us know if you get this fixed :)
No need, it was on a forum I used for testing purposes.
I'll just be sure to use a real FTP program next time.
ok, i'll mark it solved then.