Simple Machines Community Forum

SMF Support => SMF 2.0.x Support => Topic started by: moonjo on August 18, 2008, 02:30:09 PM

Title: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 18, 2008, 02:30:09 PM
I've setup a membergroup ViceAdmins and gave it almost all permissions from Admin, including Mange and assign membergroups.
However, ViceAdmins don't have the Membergroups menu in their Admin page (they have Member, Permissions, Registration, etc.)
Is this a bug? Or am I setting the wrong permission? (I need ViceAdmins to be able to create,assign Membergroups).
Thanks for reading.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: ccbtimewiz on August 18, 2008, 02:33:28 PM
Why not just add admin as an additional group for those members?
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 18, 2008, 02:46:57 PM
Well wouldn't that give all the permissions of Admin?
ViceAdmin is actually more like a global mod with a few added admin permissions; maybe I'll rename it SuperMod.
Anyways, the question still stands; is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
I tried setting this permission on for other membergroups but no dice for all of them.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: ccbtimewiz on August 18, 2008, 02:48:07 PM
Quote from: moonjo on August 18, 2008, 02:46:57 PM
Well wouldn't that give all the permissions of Admin?
ViceAdmin is actually more like a global mod with a few added admin permissions; maybe I'll rename it SuperMod.
Anyways, the question still stands; is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
I tried setting this permission on for other membergroups but no dice for all of them.

Quite strange actually. Could you check the Reports function and see that the groups in question do indeed have the permission?
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 18, 2008, 03:11:31 PM
yeah, the report shows that membergroup is allowed to 'Manage membergroups'.
Tried creating a new membergroup with maintenance permission profile and still didn't work..
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 19, 2008, 09:03:29 AM
tried it on a windows box, got this error when going to admin page; admin page worked, it just didn't show the membergroup menu.
Anyone who can actually make this work, please post a reply.
This feature is very crucial to my site and I need to know if this is a bug; I don't have any mods installed.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: DragonGem on August 19, 2008, 01:17:06 PM
I am having this same issue on our boards.  We have a sub admin group that we want to have most but not all admin functions but even though they are set to Manage Membergroups, the Membergroups option does not show up in the Admin console for the Members option.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 19, 2008, 03:05:11 PM
Yeah, I think this is a bug..
Quote from: DragonGem on August 19, 2008, 01:17:06 PM
I am having this same issue on our boards.  We have a sub admin group that we want to have most but not all admin functions but even though they are set to Manage Membergroups, the Membergroups option does not show up in the Admin console for the Members option.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: DragonGem on August 20, 2008, 11:37:57 AM
Can someone verify that this is a bug?
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: DragonGem on August 23, 2008, 03:02:26 PM
Anyone?
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: greyknight17 on August 23, 2008, 05:04:09 PM
They're not supposed to have that membergroup setting in the Admin panel from what I understand. That permission (manage and assign membergroups) will only allow you to edit and assign membergroups for your members. So when you go into a certain user's profile and Account Settings, you can change their membergroup there.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: DragonGem on August 23, 2008, 05:06:54 PM
So it doesn't let them create membergroups?  Anyone know what I could mod to make this happen without making them full admins?
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 25, 2008, 09:59:26 AM
Well, they still can't see anything related to membergroup even in the users' account settings.
So it looks certain that this is a bug. Can I report this in the Bug Reports forum?

Quote from: greyknight17 on August 23, 2008, 05:04:09 PM
They're not supposed to have that membergroup setting in the Admin panel from what I understand. That permission (manage and assign membergroups) will only allow you to edit and assign membergroups for your members. So when you go into a certain user's profile and Account Settings, you can change their membergroup there.
Title: Re: Problem with Manage and assign membergroups
Post by: moonjo on August 27, 2008, 09:21:01 AM
Reported as a bug and got a confirmation that it is fixed in beta 4.  :)