Simple Machines Community Forum

SMF Support => SMF 2.0.x Support => Topic started by: pingpongrob on June 10, 2010, 12:42:29 PM

Title: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 10, 2010, 12:42:29 PM
Hi All, dont know why I have this problem, but when logged in as a General Member all posts can be seen, but guests that are viewing cannot see anything except an error

http://www.affordablett.com.au/smf/index.php/topic,601.0.html (http://www.affordablett.com.au/smf/index.php/topic,601.0.html)

I'm using the Latest version of Smf. I've also searched permissions for guests but cannot find anything that would change this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: smp420 on June 10, 2010, 12:51:12 PM
Edit the board make sure guest access is checked.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 10, 2010, 02:59:11 PM
Are guests allowed to view the forum? Admin -> Edit and Features.

What modifications did you install?
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 10, 2010, 08:57:54 PM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 10, 2010, 02:59:11 PM
Are guests allowed to view the forum? Admin -> Edit and Features.

What modifications did you install?
Thanks for taking the time to help.
In Admin, the section I think you are taking about is Admin->Features & Options.  There is nothing there for guest access.
Here is the link to the screenshot. I tried to attach - but an error occured 3 times.
(http://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_1.jpg)
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 01:43:00 AM
Could you try disabling Search Friendly Url's?

Do you have any mods installed?
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 02:12:16 AM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 01:43:00 AM
Could you try disabling Search Friendly Url's?

Do you have any mods installed?
I have the following
(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_4.jpg)

I also have the following happen, easier to explain with pictures
Awaiting Approval
(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_2.jpg)

And error message when clicked
(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_3.jpg)
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 02:24:09 AM
Please turn off Search Friendly Url's and see if that works.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 02:35:27 AM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 02:24:09 AM
Please turn off Search Friendly Url's and see if that works.
I did that before post the above.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 02:46:52 AM
Sorry, missed that.

In Admin -> Configuration -> Core Features, do you have Postmoderation enabled? I'm not sure how it works and where the messages can be approved, but it's probably somewhere in the Moderation Centre.

To see if this causes the issue, try turning off Postmoderation.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 04:23:00 AM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 02:46:52 AM
Sorry, missed that.

In Admin -> Configuration -> Core Features, do you have Postmoderation enabled? I'm not sure how it works and where the messages can be approved, but it's probably somewhere in the Moderation Centre.

To see if this causes the issue, try turning off Postmoderation.
Postmoderation was OFF, but I turned it on then turned it back off.  Now the error has gone away, but no posts show. See pic below.
(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_5.jpg)
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: CapadY on June 11, 2010, 05:12:24 AM
Goto Admin - Forum - Boards - Modify Board.

Open modifying a board and you will be able to select the usergroups that are able to view the board.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 05:38:21 AM
Quote from: capady on June 11, 2010, 05:12:24 AM
Goto Admin - Forum - Boards - Modify Board.

Open modifying a board and you will be able to select the usergroups that are able to view the board.
been there, but there is no such option for guests.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: CapadY on June 11, 2010, 05:57:47 AM
When that option isn't there you have removed the "Guest" usergroup.
All available usergroups are shown there and you can enable or disable if they can view the particular board.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 07:01:24 AM
Quote from: capady on June 11, 2010, 05:57:47 AM
When that option isn't there you have removed the "Guest" usergroup.
All available usergroups are shown there and you can enable or disable if they can view the particular board.
The Guest user group is there - below is a picture
(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_6.jpg)

here are the options
(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_7.jpg)
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: CapadY on June 11, 2010, 07:23:27 AM
That's not the place I told you to look at.

I Told you to have a look at the Boards and you are looking at the Permissions.

Once again:

Go to Admin - Forum - Boards - Modify Board

And then click Modify for the board you want guest to be able to see.

Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 08:25:37 AM
Quote from: capady on June 11, 2010, 07:23:27 AM
That's not the place I told you to look at.

I Told you to have a look at the Boards and you are looking at the Permissions.

Once again:

Go to Admin - Forum - Boards - Modify Board

And then click Modify for the board you want guest to be able to see.
Firstly thankyou for taking the time to help, I know it can be frustrating, but I'm also pulling my hair out trying to solve this problem.
Below is the screen shot.

(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_8.jpg)
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 02:15:45 PM
Pingpongrob, were you able to fix this? It seems I can open a couple of topics, though some boards seem to be empty while posts were counted on the boardindex. Can you post back on your progress?
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 04:06:05 PM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 02:15:45 PM
Pingpongrob, were you able to fix this? It seems I can open a couple of topics, though some boards seem to be empty while posts were counted on the boardindex. Can you post back on your progress?
Good Morning Xenovanis,  I have cleared my cache and when logged out I cannot view the Topic at all,
http://www.affordablett.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=601.0 (http://www.affordablett.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=601.0)

Does anyone know what value needs to be changed in my database, I am happy to try this through PHP.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: smp420 on June 11, 2010, 04:10:09 PM
Try enabling post moderation again and go to Moderation Center » Unapproved Posts there you can approve all posts then disable it again.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 04:35:47 PM
Quote from: smp420 on June 11, 2010, 04:10:09 PM
Try enabling post moderation again and go to Moderation Center » Unapproved Posts there you can approve all posts then disable it again.
Tried that. Funny thing - have a look at the picture below.

(https://www.affordablett.com.au/temppics/problem_9.jpg)

Another thing in PHP - topic database I notice that mine aren't in order according to the id_topic field - is this normal.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 04:39:29 PM
I'd say something has seriously messed up your forums  :o My bet is it's one of those mods.

Back to basics. How about Admin -> Forum Maintenance -> Find and repair any errors and Recount all forum totalsand statistics?

Quote from: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 04:06:05 PM
Good Morning Xenovanis,

Thanks, but it's allmost bedtime over here  :D
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 05:05:07 PM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 04:39:29 PM
I'd say something has seriously messed up your forums  :o My bet is it's one of those mods.

Back to basics. How about Admin -> Forum Maintenance -> Find and repair any errors and Recount all forum totalsand statistics?

Quote from: pingpongrob on June 11, 2010, 04:06:05 PM
Good Morning Xenovanis,

Thanks, but it's allmost bedtime over here  :D
Done that. Nothing changed.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 05:14:22 PM
Would you mind uploading the files from the upgradepackage to overwrite the existing files? No need to upload the files upgrade.php and .sql.

This will break your mods though. However, I really suspect the issue is caused by one of these mods. Make a backup of your files before you proceed.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 13, 2010, 09:55:59 AM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 11, 2010, 05:14:22 PM
Would you mind uploading the files from the upgradepackage to overwrite the existing files? No need to upload the files upgrade.php and .sql.

This will break your mods though. However, I really suspect the issue is caused by one of these mods. Make a backup of your files before you proceed.
1. I uninstalled all my Mods.
2. Downloaded and extracted the fresh upgrade package.
3. Uploaded to the server.

Still have the same problem.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 AM
Whats with the red Asterisk besides post - It says thay their are posts waiting to be approved, but all post moderation setting are turned of in Admin.  Is this a known bug in Version RC3.

The only way I can remove it is to use PHP -> and change the value in the Table Boards -> Unaproved_topics.  And then mysteriously it comes back again.  What am I doing wrong.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 14, 2010, 06:47:50 AM
Hi pingpongrob,

I'm sorry, I've no idea what could cause this, of what would be a proper solution. I replied to your other topic (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=386338.0), is this the same forum? If so, would you mind posting back on this after you reinstalled and upgraded?
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: pingpongrob on June 14, 2010, 07:47:17 AM
Quote from: xenovanis on June 14, 2010, 06:47:50 AM
Hi pingpongrob,

I'm sorry, I've no idea what could cause this, of what would be a proper solution. I replied to your other topic (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=386338.0), is this the same forum? If so, would you mind posting back on this after you reinstalled and upgraded?
I found a download link to RC2 and installed it. Changed the settings in the settings.php file and all is well again.  I have no idea what caused it.
Thanks for trying to assist.
Title: Re: No Post shown when Guest tries to view Forum
Post by: xenovanis on June 14, 2010, 08:03:49 AM
No problem, just glad you managed to fix it  :)