Just wondering which bits are likely to work and which bits aren't. Does anyone have a list?
- I realise PM attachments will not work. What happens to those?
- What about permissions? How are they handled?
- I assume the base installation of SMF 2.0.x would have to be set up for UTF-8. Yes, or no?
- Any other pitfalls?
Converts: categories, boards, membergroups, attachments,polls, personal messages
1. PM attachments would not be converted. They just would not be carried over to the new forum.
2. Permissions are not currently handled by the convertor. board_permissions are converted though
3. Yes would suggest to be on utf8
4. Passwords require file changes on SMF to convert over: Check out https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=572741.0
Ok. What about inline attachments? I assume they would just be converted as standard (not inline) ones. Or do they get binned?
The other thing is if I convert the board to SMF I'd be running Doug's Inline Attachments mod, which means it'd be really cool if there was a way of hooking up phpBB inline attachments to the same code in the mod after conversion. Has anyone ever tried that trick?
I assume there would be some way of making it possible, perhaps involving some custom db queries. The converted posts would presumably still have the required markup in the post content, and the attachments should still be there as standard attachments, so hooking them up somehow should be feasible.
Quote from: Antechinus on May 14, 2020, 07:15:24 PM
The converted posts would presumably still have the required markup in the post content
Yes, almost all messages have these problems (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=572741.msg4052276#msg4052276).
Did you find a solution for that problem?
Without a solution, there is no functional converter.
Unfortunately no, you are right it cannot be used :(
I haven't checked but I think it's the same for phpBB 3.3.0 too.
Ok, so at the moment there is no functioning converter phpBB for 3.2.x to SMF 2.0.x.
Good to know.
Any likelihood of this being fixed, so the converter is usable?
Yes, at some point I can take a look at it probably will be a while though.