I recently upgraded a site that I took over from SMF 1 to SMF 2.
After fixing most of the problems, there's still an odd one that remains. Seems to be triggered by special characters and punctuation.
Thread subjects have issues with quotation marks in the subject when shown on the front page, easier to just show with the screenshot.
The other issue seems to affect only some UK users when they post apostrophes, I've noticed their apostrophes are slightly different than most users. Thier newer posts don't seem to have the issue, but anything the posted before they upgrade looks like:
Back when the site was still running off 1.x, there was a similar issue where the apostrophe and other characters UK users used would make the rest of the post vanish, it was fixed by checking the box for UTF-8. But I don't see that option in Ver 2.x unless I'm just not looking in the right places.
Any help is appreciated.
you upgraded to version 2. what?
Confirm that you are indeed running utf-8?
(what is your forum URL?)
Sorry, I meant to put the exact version number.
It's version SMF 2.0.18.
I don't know how to check to see if I'm running UTF-8 in this version.
I would rather not post the URL as it's a slightly "adult" oriented site, no nudity or sex etc but mildly fetish themed. However if you do need it I can private message it to you.
That's a known bug in 2.0.18. There is a fix posted for it elsewhere...
before I install the patch, can anyone confirm that it will fix my specific issue?
The reason I ask is what's described in that thread is different than what Im seeing. Says it only for problems with the less than/greater than signs, and nothing mentioned about it affecting the text in the posts itself which only seems to affect UK users on my board.
Not possible to confirm without trying it . Just install the patch and check the results ..
well, installing the pacth won't hurt (although you might have to uninstall it before installing 2.0.19, when it gets released)
However, I don't believe that it would affect your problem since that patch/problem was indicitive in the index pages, not within posts (IIRC)
Your issue definitely seems to be UTF8 related.
1- check your page (on your index, view the page source -- see if these two lines exist
var smf_charset = "UTF-8";
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
2- Check your database using phpmyadmin. Confirm that the datatabase is UTF8 and that the tables and columns are also UTF8 (especially check the smf_messages table and columns)
OK, the lines of code are there in the index page.
The database also looks to be set to UTF-8. It says utf8mb4_general_ci under collation when I look under PHPmyadmin. Database server charset is:
Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
I got to SMF_messages, this is where I get a little lost. I poked around in there and under structure it's got utf8_general_ci under collation, but I don't know how to check the smf_message table and columns specifically.
So I'm not sure if I'm poking around in the right place. I'm a fast learner and I think am picking this up pretty quick considering I've never done this before last month, but I think I'm getting a little lost navigating around in there.
Altho, I would assume it is set correctly because it's ONLY the posts from before the upgrade that have that issue, anything posted since the upgrade doesn't have the issue.
Also, I just installed the patch and tested. Seems to have fixed the issue with the post subjects on the index page.
So thanks, that's one problem down. :)