The conversion seems to have went without a hitch. I worked around the password issue to get access. I'm experiencing a lot of strikethrough text in quotes and even in some of the forum text.
Example: the quick reply window text
With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.
Is all strikethrough.
Is there an easy way to fix this?
Everything else seems (so far) to have worked fine.
just so I and others understand
the old posts are fine, it's when you are creating a new post that for some reason it's being striked through?
and is it only doing it with the quick reply or does it do it also when you press on reply too?
It's hard to explain as I don't know exactly what all is affected.
This is mostly old posts that were converted over from the old forum and it's mostly quoted text that has been affected. I'm saying mostly because if I respond to a thread that has all of the strikethrough already in it, it seems to carry over in to the new posts. The strikethrough seems to get worse as a thread goes on and eventually affects the forum itself.
If I start a new thread, everything works as it should. This only seems to be an issue on threads that were imported from phpbb.
There are some other areas that I see strikethrough text as well, like in signatures, but it's far less common and could be sorted out by someone changing their signature.
I exported the database for smf and looked thorough some of the message bodies. They are chalked full of strange tags that carried over from phpbb. The tags aren't in the message bodies on the phpbb forum so I'm not sure what's going on? I found another thread addressing this issue. I may be able to just use a code editor and remove all of the tags with a search and replace?
That sounds a little scary to me but right now, I'll try just about anything to see if it works.
ok so it's from the phpbb conversion not from smf itself, that's what I was trying to figure out
yeah this is an issue with phpbb that I ran into as well, phpbb doesn't actually use bbcode, they use html so it doesn't translate well when converting, and there's no rhyme or reason to where and how phpbb changed the code
what I found was it was mostly urls, embeded videos, and images that got messed up for me it threw in random s, r, and e tags ???
I just went through and manually edited each and every post one by one to format them correctly
unfortunately there's no easy way to fix it other than just doing them one by one, post by post
tedious but worth it in the end
in hindsight, I think for me at least, it would have been easier if I had uninstalled any mods/extensions from phpbb first before doing the conversion, I think maybe that would have lightened the load a bit but still wouldn't have really helped much as again it just doesn't handle bbcode as again phpbb didn't really use bbcode but used html tags instead so I still would have run into the same issue with all of the weird strikethru and stuff
Before I did the conversion, I made a clone of my phpbb site, removed all mods, removed all themes, removed all extra bbcode, etc. I cleaned it up as much as possible as I expected some garbage to come through.
What you're explaining is exactly what I'm finding. lots of s, r, and e tags everywhere. In the places that you mention, but also in quoted text. I think that it only happens in multi-quoted text but don't hold me to that. :D
I may try to do it with a code editor and remove all of the tags and see how it goes by testing for a couple of weeks before taking it live.