i've just updated an older installation of SMF from 2.0.17 to 2.0.19 and have been struggling with some character encoding issues.
I think i managed to fixed them all (switched to utf8, manually fixed some broken chars in DB, ..), but then the homepage of the forum was not loading anymore for not logged in users – only showing a white page.
After some digging deeper i found the source of the issue:
Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 15.16.55.png
(Screenshot from a logged in user)
There is one unicode character "ü" that is right at the edge of truncating it for the preview. When i changed this to just regular "u" in the DB everything works fine. Also the character displays fine in other parts of the page (inside the topic)
All other unicode characters work fine, but i'm not 100% sure if this is a bug in the software, or i might still have missed something else.