RSS Feed Icon for boards

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, July 17, 2006, 01:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel15

QuoteYou can use vbgamers very nice tool to find out this: http://server.daniel15.com/smf/package.php
That's not vbgamers' tool - Look at the domain it's on, and guess who wrote it :D
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Tanks

Quote from: Daniel15 on February 11, 2007, 03:02:00 AM
QuoteYou can use vbgamers very nice tool to find out this: http://server.daniel15.com/smf/package.php
That's not vbgamers' tool - Look at the domain it's on, and guess who wrote it :D

Woops, sorry dude - it is a nice tool you created. I just got confused about the names ;)

chep

I just wanted to mention Feedburner. http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/home

I have a small limit of how many SQL queries my service will allow in a day. Therefore I would like to take advantage of feedburner. I moved my blog over to it and redirection of board feeds might not be a bad idea too in this case. I have not tried it yet for board feeds but I don't see any reason it would not work. What I have happening is that some people have email clients fetching the feeds every 2 minutes, 24hrs a day. It must be their work computers or something.

Anyway that's all...

spiros

I had RC3 and the Babylon theme, and although the mod said that it was installed happily, it did not work and had to modify code manually.

By the way, it would be great if you could also add rss icons for each topic, so someone could follow ONLY a specific topic if they want so.

sparky33

That's how mine works, take a look at my site, and you have to modify all themes except for the default for it to work (it's just one line of code in the board index template and the message index template)
www.dublinforums.org

www.renaultforums.co

spiros

You mean your site http://www.coupe-club.org.uk?
And it works how exactly? I see no feed icons on boards and not on topics either.

sparky33

Take another look, I had changed themes and forgot to add the code.

I've noticed it follows boards as apposed to topics.
www.dublinforums.org

www.renaultforums.co

spiros

I see, but this is standard functionality; I was inquiring about rss for topics.

ehansen

I'm using feed.zip package (very nice), but I'd like to enable feeds for each Category (group of boards).  Is this possible?  If so, how?

thanks!

jorgejorge

I have the 4 documents in my computer, what I have to do to set up it in my forum??

Thank you.

manudevil

Don't unzip the package. Go to your boad, in the Admin section. There is a way to upload zipped packages. Very user-friendly. :)

cappadonna

Hi great mod. Was wondering. I have a main site that i would like certain topics to feed too. Have it show the posts name and then so many characters say 25 then they click to read the full thing in the forum.  I am using a wordpress mod that you plug in rss feeds and it makes posts. Your feeds work great with the wordpress mod but of course it also feeds the comments too. So it ends up making more and more posts just based on comments. I know this isnt your fault but wondered if you know away I can just feed the first post in these topics. If anyone has any ideas I would really apperciate it, thankyou.

clubbuilder

Question, about RSS Showing emails:

In a previous post, you state to hide emails in the rss feed, to disable email. I have successfully done that for a guest, but don't know which button to check for a normal user. Under Admin>Permissions>Regular Members in the General Area I have: Send user email disabled. Yet the emails still show to regular members in the rss feed.

Do you know which setting will turn this off. As you know posting peoples emails through the rss feed is not a good idea. Please help me with this issue if you have some time.
Visit our Sports Forum:
hxxp:www.bullseyesportssearch.com/sports_forum/index.php [nonactive]

vbgamer45

That's a general SMF questoin. But it will show the email if the logged in user has permission to view the emails.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

bigjdunham

I second the idea for RSS for Topics.  I would find it extremely useful to have my users be able to follow only specific topics if they would like.

GazOutEast

Hi I've got it in SMF 1.1.4 and done the remove "type=rss" hack so the url now shows me an xml list properly in the browser.
However, when I try to use that url for a WordPress sidebar rss widget, it tells me no such rss feed can be found at that url
- is this because the feed is xml?  I didn't think that mattered, because the rss feeds I'm running into SMF via FeedPoster are all xml url's
Really stumped now because I have 2 board that I really wanted to use for sidebar teasers in the blog to pull people into the forums (mainly because the WordPress SEO mod genuinely works whereas all the SMF ones just trash my forum).
I've tried using the url in WordPress with & without the type=rss, and have even tried switching roung the index.php and action=xml (that had an interesting effect - try it some time in a blank browser window  ;))
Anyone got any clues?
Gaz
I have 20:20 vision - I can see anything bigger than 20" x 20"

Aileen

Installation went well, but icons not showing on a dilber theme. Would it be easy to have it shown. thanks

TrueSatan

Please consider not using themes that you appear to be unable to edit for yourself. Dilber MC in particular tends to be a problem for inexperienced users and I've already given you details of the SMF documantation regarding editing mods into themes in other replies.

taurean

Hi,

is this link Ok with a particular board of my site?

http://mysite.com/smf/index.php?action=.xml;board=38;type=rss

As i have many boards can i submit all those board feeds as RSS. pls help
Eager to Learn SMF

Aileen

Quote from: TrueSatan on November 28, 2007, 05:44:46 AM
Please consider not using themes that you appear to be unable to edit for yourself. Dilber MC in particular tends to be a problem for inexperienced users and I've already given you details of the SMF documantation regarding editing mods into themes in other replies.
SO it would be difficult. Sorry for this dumb question since I am new to all of this

Advertisement: