News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need feedback for blog mod

Started by Spaceman-Spiff, April 27, 2004, 04:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman-Spiff

Heya guys,

I'm still in the design phase of coding a blog mod for SMF. I'm planning to rewrite the whole mod. I came to a dilemma in the main design. I still haven't decided to do this using sub boards or topics (like in YSE mod). In details:

Sub-Boards
Description:
- each blog owner (writer) will have his/her own sub board inside the Blog Board
- blog entries -> topics
- user comments -> posts

Pros:
- easier to implement the permissions (maybe)
- can use many preexisting SMF features (RSS, WAP, etc)

Cons:
- if there are many blog owners (example: 40), there will be 40 sub-boards, and it will look weird. the jump to box will be filled with those sub-boards, the MessageIndex will look weird, etc
- takes longer to read the blog entries

Topics
Description:
- each blog writer has his/her own topic inside the Blog Board
- blog entries -> posts
- user comments -> popup (stored in a new table)

Pros:
- easier to read the blog entries, instead of visiting each topics

Cons:
- more database changes
- might be harder to implement

another alternative is to totaly change the forum look and come up with a blog template, which actually might be cool to do ;)

Oldiesmann

I think the topics version makes more sense, but I don't know what the users would like best. Most of the people I know who have blogs use Xanga, which is quite fancy and really popular...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

mironicus

@spaceman

Could you write a little program to convert old blogs from yabbse to smf if your new version is ready? :)

Alexandre P.

What I think could be interesting:

- Each user has its own board for his blog.
- Every child-board in the blog's boards are categories.  (If no child-board selected, could be, like, a General Category.)
- Every 1st post is is an entry.  Replies are comments.

So, it includes the ability to use the categories like in Dotclear, b2, WordPress, etc.

Of course, if there are a lot of people who have their weblog, it would display a lot of boards.  But, in SMF, cannot a board be invisible?
Aucun support par M.P., courriel ou messagerie instantanée / No support by P.M., email or I.M.

BiErLeEuW

I am very interresting in this mod... But i think it's better to make a new page.

http://sgstudents.com/forum/journal.php (vBulletin version)

QuoteIdea ?!
Admin grants permissions to view journals by usergroup.
Admin grants permissions to create journals by usergroup.
Admin names & sets up multiple instances (types, kinds, categories, whatever) of journals.

For example: "JOURNALS" "SHORT STORIES" "DEAR DIARY" "FAMILY TRIPS"

In the navigation there should be a dropdown list instead of the present "JOURNALS" link.
Basically, the categories regardless of their names are just: Journal 1, Journal 2, Journal 3, Journal 4
as each is just a duplication or multiple instance of the original "journal" in terms of presentation.
A link is presented on these pages for members to "CREATE THEIR OWN" based on which category they are viewing.

Members add entries into their journals, designating whether they are:
Public (all members may view and comment)
Public no comments (all members may view but comments are disabled)
Buddies (only members on their buddy's list may view & comment)
Buddies no comments (buddy's may view but comments are disabled)
Private (no viewing or commenting)

WYSIWYG submission form with preview option for entries.
Photos allowed (thumbnails?)
Attachments allowed
Word wrap
Users may edit or delete own entries
Link in user's profile to various submission pages
(example: add to journal
add to short story
add to dear diary
add to family trip)

STYLE: templates & .css that may be ammended by admin and incorporated into all styles available on board

Pagination for both entries, entry lists and comments.
Number of comments display.

There should be links in postbit (including legacy postbit) to view user's journals if they exist.

Admin can delete journals.
Admin can view/delete/edit rights for all entries.
Admin allow/disallow BBcode in entries & comments.

Perhaps tables could be added to memberlist to show categories with icon links to journal pages.

This gives you roughly an idea of what this hack would be...a lot of work, I know!

I have the time to help Spaceman-Spiff , feel free and ask me if you need help ;)

Spaceman-Spiff

Quote from: mironicus on April 30, 2004, 05:41:52 PM
@spaceman

Could you write a little program to convert old blogs from yabbse to smf if your new version is ready? :)
yes

about the design, i've thought to make a new template (not based on boards, topics, etc). I was already thinking to put the user info on top of each journal, sort of like livejournal
not sure when i can start implementing this... school and work have eaten up a lot of my time these last few semesters

BiErLeEuW

I think a new template (like a Diary) would be very nice... ?
Right side
user info 
archive and

left site
forum header?

nameless

Spaceman I hope this is the right place to ask but how did you create that cool page to integrate with the blog on your board?

http://www.monkey-pirate.com/blogs/spiff/

Skate, Snow, and Surf - SF Boarders - Bringing San Francisco Bay Area boarders together.

quake101

Hey Spaceman-Spiff,
I think this mod is a great idea. Any idea on when it will be done for smf? Maybe i can help(code/beta test)?

zom

I'm looking also for a smf mod to co,vert as a blog  ... It would be great because smf has much more capability than blog scripts. It is more a presentation problem. I think

Vinoth

sounds good and interesting lets see,
Vinoth And Sachin ( SpecHackers Team )
The Best  Way to Help Poor Is not Becoming One Of Them.

Protoss

Anymore news on this? I just tried out Xanga and loved it. I was wanting to try something integrated into SMF...

NoRad

I'm not a big blogger myself, but I like the feature. What about going with option #2 and forgetting about the ability for users to make comments on the blog? The comments made can be sent as private messages instead? This would make the mod easier to get working. My guess is that people using SMF would prefer something simple that's integrated over something complex that requires a lot more work... Otherwise they can go with something like xanga.

Eibwen

How is this blog/journal mod proceeding?

I'm just curious :)
http://www.chatwired.com/ [nofollow] ~ IRC Webchat

http://www.2039.org/ [nofollow] ~ The Future Site

OvermindDL1

If people are interested in an integrated blog mod I am making such a module for my forum and portal I made.  Could easily be used standalone though.  you give it a board ID, generally one hidden to members.  For every person that starts a blog it creates a child board in there, every blog post is a new thread in that board, and comments to the blog post are the replies to the thread.  The blog will be able to be displayed however on the userpage.

This is really quite simple to setup, if anyone has more time, create it, collage started back up for me so mine may not be finished for a little time...
All permission controlled of course. :)

NoRad

That sounds like the best method to make it happen. ETA?

mahdi

OvermindDL1

It will not be available for download from me until I get a good amount of time away from college.  Someone else can make it though, it is not difficult.

Trekkie101

Phew its been a long time since anyone posted here, ill ask the dreaded question of, any status updates?

Ive just relized how cool Blogs actually are, ive looked for bridges but everything just ends up here, can anyone say how the YaBBSE one looked, I havent seen it, the download link is bust aswell.

Some info on that would be cool also, anyone know of any bridge threads aswell? Ive looked just havent seen.

peterstannard

i'd just like to register an interest in this mod.

hope there is a release soon.

Advertisement: