News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Running a competition

Started by gamesmad, July 29, 2006, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamesmad

Ive found that running a competition is a great way to get a forum popular and active.  For example, first person to 500 posts wins this free forum themed gift.  If the admin gets to 800 posts first, then noone wins.  It encourages people to post, and post fast, meaning that your forum gets a big post base to start with :)

Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

gamesmad

I included a rule against such posts in my forum agreement.

Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

peterstannard

Quote from: gamesmad on July 29, 2006, 11:43:18 AM
Ive found that running a competition is a great way to get a forum popular and active.  For example, first person to 500 posts wins this free forum themed gift.  If the admin gets to 800 posts first, then noone wins.  It encourages people to post, and post fast, meaning that your forum gets a big post base to start with :)

Will

Not exactly ethical eh  ::)

1MileCrash

That's what i like to call buying members.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

SaikoJosh

I've seen this pulled off very successfully, if you have the funds to advertise your existence and the motivation to keep slogging away at promoting your site it can work. Although it's a lot easier for a competition to fail than it is for it to work.

Digital Home Central - Products for the 21st century home (under construction).

Isaac

Quote from: Tippmaster on July 29, 2006, 06:18:16 PM
Not at all.  Contests can be a great way to get new members, and quality posts.  :)

TheGamer

For instance, right now we're having a contest at my forum, but it's for the person who submits the most articles. :)

I think contests can be great, if presented correctly.

Joshsux

Quote from: Tippmaster on July 29, 2006, 06:18:16 PM

Hey people buy pro's why can't people buy members

I may do a comp soon, but with a game silent hill 4.
If you can't hear it before you see it, then it ain't a harley

gamesmad

Quote from: jcoleuk on July 29, 2006, 08:49:32 PM
I've seen this pulled off very successfully, if you have the funds to advertise your existence and the motivation to keep slogging away at promoting your site it can work. Although it's a lot easier for a competition to fail than it is for it to work.

Hah, SHMUP'd :D

Will

Alan S

Em i just  spread the word about my ( now closed until sep ) site over msn to my friends , they join and tell there friends , who tell there friends etc....it works aswell
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Rubyforlife

I tried this a few days ago, I announced the competition and got quite a few people posting more than usual, but it's died down again after about a day :( I'm gonna check this TAZ that I've seen some of you guys talk about though ;)

SaikoJosh

Quotetried this a few days ago, I announced the competition and got quite a few people posting more than usual, but it's died down again after about a day

You need to be advertising that you have a competition on other websites, or via Google Ads to gain new members. Fresh blood is the key to keeping a community alive. :)

Digital Home Central - Products for the 21st century home (under construction).

Advertisement: