Customizing SMF > Building Your Community and other Forum Advice

Need advice regarding silent forum joiners...

(1/3) > >>

DreamBliss:
I can't help but be suspicious of the some of the new signups I'm seeing over at my forums (SMF 1.0.7):
http://nucleus.planetunreal.gamespy.com/smf/index.php

I've had two new signups in 2 days, and the forum has been pretty much dead for a few years now. I have recently updated my site, so maybe some life is breathing back into it, but I'm not sure. So I was wondering what the best way is to deal with folks that sign up, and then never post or do anything. How can I be sure they'r not letting bots in to harvest e-mail addresses or something? Why would folks sitgn up and never do anything in the first place? I do have e-mail confirmation on, and guests can only browse the forum but that's it. Any advice regarding what else I should do, if anything, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
- Deathbliss

Isaac:
Turning Lurkers into Posters

DreamBliss:
Thank you, but that in't really the issue I'm sure. Although I welcome anyone here to browse around my forums as a guest at let me know what they think. Anyhow I'll look into the tips posted in that thread, maybe even use a few of those ideas, but I'm pretty sure that there are more malicious things going on and I just want to find out how to discover if this is the case, and then if so how to deal with it.
- Deathbliss

Wolfenrook:
Don't know if it will help you but on my site we have 2 rules that may help you:-

1) All new members have to post an intro within 10 days of joining, else they get 2 warning pms and then their accounts are deleted.
2) Members have to post at least once in any 6 month period.

I have no time for lurkers, it doesn't hurt to post something at least occasionally, even if it's just to say hi.

Wolfenrook

Bigguy:
Those aren`t bad rules. Do you find you get alot more posters or are you deleting alot of accounts.

--- Quote from: Wolfenrook on August 02, 2006, 12:52:07 PM ---Don't know if it will help you but on my site we have 2 rules that may help you:-

1) All new members have to post an intro within 10 days of joining, else they get 2 warning pms and then their accounts are deleted.
2) Members have to post at least once in any 6 month period.

I have no time for lurkers, it doesn't hurt to post something at least occasionally, even if it's just to say hi.

Wolfenrook

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version