News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Recent Posts Extremely Slow

Started by Chris Berry, July 31, 2006, 08:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Berry

I'm running SMF 1.0.7. The recent posts page is extremely slow loading taking upwards towards a minute to load. Everything else on my site and my SMF forums are not affected in any way and load just as they should. Any ideas or suggestions?

jerm

Mods installed?
Anything happening in the error log?

Chris Berry

No mods installed whatsoever and nothing is coming up in the error log.

sawz

maybe a link to your forums
have you used the "forum maintenance" link in the admin panel?
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

Chris Berry

I use the forum maintenance about once a week and it never really helps.

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php

Chris Berry

I just went ahead and did an optimize database and it took quite a bit longer than it usually does... about 35 seconds in total when it usually just takes a few.

Chris Berry

It seems that the optimize database really did change the load time when I ran it this time around, usually it doesn't. I'll keep this thread up to date and notify when it starts to slow down again (hopefully it doesn't).

Chris Berry

It is back to taking upwards of a minute...

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Ultra

Quote from: Chris Berry on August 05, 2006, 11:12:35 AM
It is back to taking upwards of a minute...

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

I am having the same problems. 

hxxp:www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]

Sometime it is very fast, other times it takes 43 or more seconds according to the stats at the bottom of the forum and will even at times, time out the connection.  This forum has worked perfectly for over two months prior to this problem.  The forum has no mods and I have run the all of the maintenance options with no effect on the performance of the forum.

Please help.....

Compuart

'Recent posts' is a relatively complex function that we weren't able to fully optimize with the database structure of 1.0. As of 1.1 RC2 the database structure has been updated in order to facilitate a faster 'recent posts' function. If you keep having problems with this page, I'd recommend upgrading to 1.1.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Ultra

Quote from: Compuart on August 21, 2006, 01:08:30 PM
'Recent posts' is a relatively complex function that we weren't able to fully optimize with the database structure of 1.0. As of 1.1 RC2 the database structure has been updated in order to facilitate a faster 'recent posts' function. If you keep having problems with this page, I'd recommend upgrading to 1.1.

This is affecting more that the "recent posts" function.

This is affecting the ability of the forum to reproduce all links clicked to whatever page contained within.

Compuart

Not sure what is causing the speed issues at your forum, but it's definitely something else than I described above. The above problem will probably not occur on a board with less than 100,000 posts.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

ArkServer

Quote from: Compuart on August 21, 2006, 02:42:56 PM
Not sure what is causing the speed issues at your forum, but it's definitely something else than I described above. The above problem will probably not occur on a board with less than 100,000 posts.

So what you are saying is that it actually does occur at 100k+ posts?

Ben_S

Can you try adding

$db_show_debug = true;

To your Settings.php file and copy and paste the output from the debug stuff added to the bottom of the page on the recent posts page?

Ignore that bit, thought you were the original poster.

Also if you have basic html enabled - disable it, that sometimes causes a few problems, but normally on the message index, although I guess it would affect recent too as the bbc is parsed there. If that doesn't help, try the thing I posted above but struck out.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: