News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Invision Power Board 2.1.3 -> SMF, hello?

Started by dreamwraith, August 06, 2006, 07:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamwraith

I am posting a new topic, because there are way too many topics down pages to figure out which to post in.

Its been well over a month since the guy who was working on it last posted regarding the IPB converter. Currently, as just about every post on here I can find, the latest version still does not convert quotes, code tags, and smilies properly.

I had hoped to move my forum to SMF. Our license for IPB is up, and we can no longer receive updates, and I have consequently had to shut the forum down both because of the license, and for security concerns.

I understand as a project being released free of charge, I cannot expect daily turnarounds, but again, no one has even posted regarding this in the last several weeks.

I really just need to know wether there will be any more updates, or I should start looking elsewhere for software options.

H

If you use SMF 1.1 RC2 and the convert.php and converter from this thread which errors do you get? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=65677.0
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

dreamwraith

The conversion process itself goes fine. Its the results that are troubling. After conversion, quotes and smilies are not converted properly. As far as i can tell, this was the problem people were having with 2.1.3 as of the last time Oldiesman was working on it. He hasnt posted since june now from what i can tell.

I did some research on what other forum systems were doing in regards to IPB 2.1.3+ imports. It turns out, vBulletin was having a similar issue, and they releases a "cleanup.php" that went through the database to correct such mistakes.

As I understand it from reading there, the problem is cause by how IPB is storing stuff in the dbase. They are storing raw HTML rather than bbcode in the database, and they only parse it back to bbcode when editing.

If i were more skilled with SQL, i would write my own script to clean up the quotes and such, but my skills are limited to more basic php.

Thanks in advance!

dreamwraith

I thought this might be of some use. It is the thread on the vB forums about this issue. Perhaps it might shed some light.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192096&highlight=IPB+2.1.3 [nofollow]

青山 素子

I might have some time to look at this later this week. I'll need a copy of the IPB database so I can test the converter and make any needed changes.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

dreamwraith

青山 素子

If you can post it somewhere, pm me a link through here. Otherwise, contact me on one of my IM names and we can work out something.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

dreamwraith

Edit: You probably don't want everyone downloading a copy of your db. - Motoko-chan

青山 素子

Slowly fixing the 2.1 script for 2.1.3.

I seriously don't see a reason why they did this except to break converters (make it harder to leave their system).
Motoko-chan

dreamwraith

i agree. that is my theory as well. it seems they have done alot of this type of stuff as of late.

青山 素子

Okay, my work so far:

IPB 2.1.3 to SMF 1.1 RC2 script. This needs the RC2 convert.php from this board.

I think I got all the re-formatted tags, although I probably missed some. Please go through and see how it is. Quotes changes the most, so there might be yet another style I missed. Let me know the thread IDs that show problems (only one thread per problem please).

Polls have changed around completely, and I haven't had a chance to fix them yet.

For being in the 2.1 series, they sure broke a lot.
Motoko-chan

dreamwraith

ok, first messed on ive found:

the IPB info on the post is: topic number 2948 post number 24372

the thread number after conversion is the same, not sure about post number.

after conversion, this is what i see:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\'][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

CONTENT(edited out for eye health)

[/quote]

dreamwraith

It looks like the quotes still have the [snapback] tags in the ends. IIRC smf doesnt have this, but is there any EASY way to clean them up in the conversion? if not, i can live with those, they arent as big of a deal.

dreamwraith

ok another. this one is code tags rather than quote tags.

topic=2294.0 post=19068

This is repeated several times in the post. all have the same form it seems.

blah blah
[!--c1--][div class=\'codetop\'][/div][div class=\'codemain\'][!--ec1--]

bunch of code,

[ /code]

dreamwraith

topic=2797.0
p=24097

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\'][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
blah
.[/quote]

blah

blah blah
[/quote]

dreamwraith

well, that looks to be about it, any others i found are exactly the same in their form as those error'd posts.

青山 素子

Cleaned up those tags, download a new copy and give it a check. It looks fine here now on almost everything.

User #1323 (Hardstuff) has a sig that is messed up, but it is the way the source code is, and by correcting that, it might introduce other fun bugs.

I'll be working on polls now.

Polls now working. If you grabbed the zip before this message, please get it again.

The converter should now be complete. Please check for any more conversion issues and let me know.
Motoko-chan

dreamwraith

OK great. I will check this out ASAP. As far as signatures go, im not all too concerned, as they usually end up messed in ANY forum conversion i have done in the past.

dreamwraith

Wow! everything is working great. I cannot thank you enough! Kudos!

catchmeonline

Ok. so this is a complete? the transition between IPB to SMF is a go? I can actually transfer over  :D out of curiosity will member log in user/pass remain the same? there will be no need for any interuption in my member(s) site experience (other than the obvious design/layout) ????

catchmeonline

青山 素子

Well, check out the 2.1.4 thread. Right now I don't have any major sample data to use as an adjustment for 2.1.4 (as the code in posts changed yet again). You are welcome to send me a db dump from 2.1.4 so I can finish that conversion up. Please pm a location, don't post directly in this public thread.
Motoko-chan

catchmeonline

yeah i kinda got that one under wraps ;) lol. I also just realised something. i may not have 2.1.4 db updates. i may still be running 2.1.3 but useing the 2.1.4 files.. not sure if i did the upgrade to 2.1.4 or just updated the files themselve. will get back to tyou  on this.. in the process of conversion atm. ;) god i hope this works. i love smf. i have used almost every forums script that has ANYTHING to offer. and SMF makes my blood flow :D i just hate the thought of ONCE AGAIN having my members re register. lmao. wish me luck

青山 素子

It will be fine. The scripts don't erase existing data, so if it doesn't quite work, it can be fixed and you can convert again.
Motoko-chan

catchmeonline

as a safety i simply created another DB, copied the current 2.1.4 DB to the duplicat DB. will use that DB as my conversion db. hope that will work.

My members will lynch me if i screw the site up again. :D

青山 素子

Remember to make a new copy once you are done with testing, or they'll hurt you for losing posts.
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: