Load balancing: Workaround for maxconnections issue?

Started by minstrel, August 07, 2006, 01:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minstrel

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
My host has a limit of 50K MySQL connections per hour which my forum is now running into.

I am told that I can get around this by creating additional users and having the forum switch among them on a random basis.

In settings.php, lines 40-41:

$db_user = 'username';
$db_passwd = 'password';

I need to change this to

{if some random number} then
$db_user = 'username';
$db_passwd = 'password';
else {if some other random number}
$db_user = 'username2';
$db_passwd = 'password2';
else {if some other random number}
$db_user = 'username3';
$db_passwd = 'password3';

etc.

How can I do this?

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

minstrel

No.

What will that do and how will it help?

I was under the impression that would increase server load in some way...

It's shared hosting,, not dedicated...

Ben_S

It means MySQL won't close the connection when it's finnished with it meaning that it will be reused when someone else visits. As for increasing load, in reality, it should decrease it as it gets rid of the overhead of opening and closing connections, although the way some shared hosts have things set up, they don't like persistant connections.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Skipdawg

Let us know how it goes. I may give it a shot on my VPS if it helps some.
Skipdawg's Community