News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Archive

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, August 08, 2006, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleworld

I am not sure whether this question has been asked: will the archive in SMF 2.0 create a duplicate content which is bad for SEO? Is there a need to modify the robots.txt with this MOD?

vbgamer45

It would be considered duplicate since it is the same content just with less theme stuff.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

humbleworld

thank you vbgamer45, if that is the case, that would be bad for SEO? What would be the solution? Should I modify the robots.txt so that it won't be indexed by search robots?

If it creates a duplicate content, then it is best that this archive section is only for human consumption, not for search engines. Is there a better way to do it that would make this archive mod seo-friendly. I love this MOD.

humbleworld

Hi VBGamer,

I want to add a text on the title of each archived thread. Let's say, instead of the title itself, I want to put a prefix on it like: Archived Copy Only - Title of the thread Here.

I want this new title to be different from the Full Version. How shall I edit the archive2.php file?

pbackx

I was wondering the same thing. Is it still a good idea to have this running? I still occasionally get search results that point to archive pages, but I have a feeling I would be better of redirecting this to the "real" forum.

Any thoughts?

Tomy Tran

Myself opinion: "Real forum is better, wap or mobile mode is for dial-up or slow connection, so this mod is not really neccessary, I have uninstalled it already a long time."

humbleworld

Can anyone please help me how to redirect pages with archive2.php?topic=* to the main forum site? I removed the mod but a lot of my site pages are still there in Google search results.

I know the redirection can be done via .htaccess. I am not just sure how to do it. Thanks for the help, friends at SMF.

Tomy Tran

just create a file archive2.php, use code PHP header() to redirect all to your homepage in side that file:

header( "Location: " . $your_homepage_url );

humbleworld

Thank you, Tomy. I also tried ErrorDocument 404 /index.php, which I placed in .htaccess. It works well so far.

Tomy Tran

Nice to know, can you show your solution in detail?

mikedijital

the mod works, im using the archive2.php file    im using 2.0.2 but im getting this in the header space

Notice: Undefined index: user in /home/content/m/i/k/mikedijital/html/deggi5/Sources/Load.php(2331) : eval()'d code on line 479

Notice: Undefined index: user in /home/content/m/i/k/mikedijital/html/deggi5/Sources/Load.php(2331) : eval()'d code on line 549

Notice: Undefined index: user in /home/content/m/i/k/mikedijital/html/deggi5/Sources/Load.php(2331) : eval()'d code on line 479

Notice: Undefined index: user in /home/content/m/i/k/mikedijital/html/deggi5/Sources/Load.php(2331) : eval()'d code on line 549

here is the link   
http://mikedijital.us/deggi5/archive2.php

in my load file

479 // Set up the $user_info array.
480 $user_info += array(
481  'id' => $id_member,

and

547 // Do we have any languages to validate this?
548 if (!empty($modSettings['userLanguage']) && (!empty($_GET['language']) || !empty($_SESSION['language'])))
549 $languages = getLanguages();

mikedijital

vbgamer45

Open archive2.php

Find

include 'SSI.php';

Add before

ini_set('display_errors', '0');

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

mikedijital

Thank you so much VBgamer,works like a charm!    =)

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

mikedijital

for anyone reading this, this archive mod is a GREAT mod to promote for phone users!  its so slim and quick, it loads up in a second, if your forum is mainly public, this is a great way to browse on a mobile device.

I add a menu button called  PHONE and link it to this, or just tell users to go directly to  www.yourforumurl.com/forum/archive.php   

Great mod guys, been using it as a mobile device page since it came out for SMF 1

pikeman

Hello,
how to add banners to the archive?

vbgamer45

You have to edit the archive.php file in the root of your forum directory.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

pikeman

I know that :), but I do not know where to position the code and how to define it.

To stand at the top of the page, like this...

http://poljoinfo.com/archive/index.php/t-1399.html?s=45af8e201988bab774354f66a5688356

pikeman

I found where, after this code fragment...

<div id="fullver">Full Version: <a href="' . $url . '">' . $title . '</a>
</div>

Advertisement: