News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Archive

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, August 08, 2006, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac

Quote from: Skunkie on January 12, 2007, 11:31:47 PM
Isaac, you would need to create/modify your robots.txt located in your forums' root.  You can actually find quite a few dicussions here on the SMF board about good ways to create one.
I know that, I was hoping someone knew the exact code to be used.  I'll look into it more though.

Skunkie

I will gladly share what I have done.

User-agent: msnbot
Disallow: /attachments/
Disallow: /avatars/
Disallow: /Packages/
Disallow: /pjirc/
Disallow: /Smileys/
Disallow: /Sources/
Disallow: /Themes/
Disallow: /index,php/
Disallow: /index.php?*

User-agent: Slurp
Allow: /archive.php
Disallow: /

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow: /
Allow: /archive.php

User-agent: *
Disallow: /attachments/
Disallow: /avatars/
Disallow: /Packages/
Disallow: /pjirc/
Disallow: /Smileys/
Disallow: /Sources/
Disallow: /Themes/

I specified Yahoo (Slurp) and Google to get notified of archive.php seeing as they recognize the "Allow" specifier.  MSN recognizes wildcards, so I use that to direct it to using the index.php only which will then link to my archive.php.

This covers the 3 major search engines that I am worried about site rank on.  So the other bots can index what they like as long as they stay out of my specified directories.  ;)

I hope this was helpful in some way.
Punk Labs - https://punklabs.com

clemenzo

Does restricting bots to just the archive page and not the forum pages affects the google ads being shown on the forum pages?

Roph

Quote from: clemenzo on February 15, 2007, 10:27:11 AM
Does restricting bots to just the archive page and not the forum pages affects the google ads being shown on the forum pages?
I know that google at least uses seperate bots for normal search indexing and indexing for ads.

The adsense bot (mediapartners-google, or something similar) isn't specified in Skunkie's robots.txt, though it would follow the rules from the last part and stay out of those certain directories. Either way, it'd still be able to see all of the useful information on your fourm without any problems. :)

Skunkie

Keep in mind the adsense bot only crawls your site when you have adsense on your forums.

clemenzo

I see.. I do have adsense in my forums and would give this try when I have the time.. Thank you!

Skunkie

I would suggest not restricting the adsense bot to just the archive unless that is the only place you have your ads.

It is against Google's rules to not allow the adsense bot to crawl places where you have ads.

RoarinRow

How can you make it so it doesn't display the hidden boards based on permission?  I only want the this archive mod to show boards I have given only 'Guests' to view.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

TrueSatan

I've had it working on SMF 1.1.1 without problems...I'll try it on 1.1.2 but I think it's fine on that too.

TrueSatan

It's fine on SMF 1.1.2...worked perfectly.

Marko...please consider letting us see your /sources/subs.php file You may well have another mod installed that is causing your problems.

Roph

I got similar errors, though I just edited the script and disabled the error reporting. It works fine: http://rmrk.net/archive.php

Gourgi

i installed this mod in 2 forums running SMF 1.1.2
and both give me errors

forum1
Notice: Undefined index: server in /var/www/forum/Sources/Subs.php on line 1776

Notice: Undefined index: server in /var/www/forum/Sources/Subs.php on line 2502

forum2
Notice: Undefined index: server in /home/gourgi/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs.php on line 1696

Notice: Undefined index: server in /home/gourgi/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs.php on line 2422

i attached both forum's Subs.php if someone can help me
Όσο ζώ, μαθαίνω ...

Roph

Gourgi, I had the same problem, though I just changed error reporting to:

error_reporting(0);

And now it works fine :)

Gourgi

thanks Silverline
Quote from: Silverline on March 19, 2007, 10:00:43 AM
Gourgi, I had the same problem, though I just changed error reporting to:

error_reporting(0);

And now it works fine :)
WOW ! Thanks Silverline !!!  :D
That did the work :D
I'm very thankful for your quick reply   ;)
Όσο ζώ, μαθαίνω ...

katoona

Quote from: RoarinRow on February 16, 2007, 09:54:53 PM
How can you make it so it doesn't display the hidden boards based on permission?  I only want the this archive mod to show boards I have given only 'Guests' to view.

Me too, is this possible?

tatore

Quote from: katoona on June 12, 2007, 06:01:08 AM
Quote from: RoarinRow on February 16, 2007, 09:54:53 PM

Me too, is this possible?
If you have the rights you can see...but if you logout you don't.
*Salvo*

Quote from: RumbaarI wont jump to conclusion, but you might be hacked?

tatore

I just wonder why, if I click on  |Help |Search| Member List| it redirects to main page of the forum (/forum/index.php), not in lo version.
The remaining works fine. I didn,t linked yet neither in footer nor in header. Could it be for it?

Edit: solved!! Just replaced the commands "act=" in "action=" . It works like a charm
*Salvo*

Xenlarod

Hi... I try to create a multi-language archive, but always give me an error... How must I?
I try to insert some tag content in a language file, but not work... so, I try to create a Archive language, but always not work... Thanks a lot for reply
P.S.: Sorry for my bad English ;_;!

tatore

Sorry if I say silly things and maybe it isn't what you were looking for.
That's what I did:

Quote<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
   <meta name="description" content="' . $title . '" />
   <title>' . $title . '</title>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="archive.css" />
</head>
<body>
   <div id="header">
      <div id="fullver">Full Version: <a href="' . $url . '">' . $title . '</a>
      </div>
      <div id="menu" align="center"><a href="' . $boardurl . '/index.php?action=help">Help</a>&nbsp;<a href="' . $boardurl . '/index.php?action=search">Ricerca</a>&nbsp;<a href="' . $boardurl . '/index.php?action=mlist">Utenti</a>
      </div>
   </div>';
The red words are the words you may change...in your language
*Salvo*

Advertisement: