News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum running very slow

Started by tpruessner, August 09, 2006, 08:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpruessner

SMF Version: SMF 1.0.7
Hi,
In the last 2 weeks, our forum has started running slow.  I have gone through and done the maintenance that is in the admin section, I have gone through the checklist on this site and have done what I know how to do.  Today, it started running very slow, then would pick up, then would run very slow again.  I have checked to see if we have a lot of users on when it runs slow - but at that time, there was only 2-4 users online.  We have had 13 users on, all posting, and it run faster.  My users are starting to be very frustrated.  A couple of them do get the "Gateway 504 Timeout" as well - I am not sure if this is related or not.

Here is the link to our forum - http://mommysgetaway.com/smf/index.php
Here is the link to my status.php - http://www.mommysgetaway.com/status.php
Here is the link to my phpinfo.php - http://www.mommysgetaway.com/phpinfo.php

I am w/ a hosting package on GoDaddy.com - This site is on a shared server and the package info for this site is the deluxe plan on a Linux server - here is the link - https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=260

Our total topics is: 1024 and total posts: 53670  (as of right when I posted this).

We have anywhere from 6-10 users that log in during 8a-5p EST Monday through Friday.  We have a total of 45 members.

There are no mods installed at this time.

Can someone please help me out?  I can give a user/pass if that helps?

Thank you for your help!
Tamara

Bigguy

have you gone into the admin panel and then to the packages and installed the patch that is there to be installed. ???

sawz

the forums are real slow for me too, never did see the staus page.
have you tried using the forum maintenance tools?

Admin> Forum Maintenance

Optimize all tables to improve performance.
Check all files against current versions.
Find and repair any errors.
Recount all forum totals and statistics.
Empty out unimportant logs.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

tpruessner

Quote from: Bigguy on August 09, 2006, 09:26:41 PM
have you gone into the admin panel and then to the packages and installed the patch that is there to be installed. ???
I have gone into the admin panel and it shows that everything is completely updated.

Quote from: sawz on August 09, 2006, 09:45:23 PM
the forums are real slow for me too, never did see the staus page.
have you tried using the forum maintenance tools?

Admin> Forum Maintenance

Optimize all tables to improve performance.
Check all files against current versions.
Find and repair any errors.
Recount all forum totals and statistics.
Empty out unimportant logs.
I did all of the forum maintenance tools this past Sunday night.

I don't know what else to do at this point.  I have tried to figure out the eAccelerator stuff, but I am not a programmer and I am having a time figuring it out.  I have talked to the GoDaddy site until I am blue in the face and they say it isn't them.   ::)  ???

Bigguy

Disable your caching in the admin panel and see if that makes a difference....or have you tried that ???

tpruessner

Where is the caching at?  Do you mean this --> "Allow browsers to go back to cached pages"?

Bigguy

You said something about eAccelerator so I assumed you had been in the "admin cp" then to "Server settings" then to "caching" to enable it. If so disable caching and see what happens.

tpruessner

The eAccelerator program had me confused and I didn't even get it installed properly.  I really appreciate all your help too by the way.

Bigguy

What do you mean you didn`t get it installed properly. ??? Just asking because this might be your problem. If you didn`t get it uninstalled right then it might have an effect. Althought I don`t know why you would have to install anything yourself for this is a feature the server must turn on as far as I know.

tpruessner

Well, I started going through the eAccel site to figure out how to install it properly (I have very little experience with php) and never got it installed.  I found the program after the MG Forum started getting slow.  I did a lot of searches on this site to figure out how to make my site go faster or if anyone else had the same problem and what they did.  That is how I found the eAccel program.  I have no idea if this is what the server needs to turn on or not - it was listed as a possible solution, so I was willing to try anything.   

Bigguy

The link you gave to the status.php didn`t work at all after 2 minutes, your phpinfo worked and I really didn`t see anything wrong with it. Your forum does load slow though. Maybe some others have some ideas.

dschwab9

How are you installing eaccelerator on a shared server?  This is something that the server admin would have to install.

tpruessner

The status.php loads very very slowly for me too...here it has loaded and this time, this is what it says.

Basic Information
August 09, 2006, 08:50:33 PM
Operating System:    Linux 2.4.21-27.ELsmp
Processor:                Intel® Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.260MHz)
Load averages:              20.98, 25.24, 28.06
Current processes:     480 (468 sleeping, 9 running, 3 zombie)
Processes by CPU:     httpd (398) 44.3%, Calcium310.pl (1) 24.3%, php (13) 5.7%, htcached (1) 4.4%, (other) (40) 1.2%
Memory usage:             95.3% (5868420k / 6157848k)
Swap:                        2.943% (61684k / 2096120k)

MySQL Statistics
MySQL 4.0.x
Connections per second:    6.9208
Kilobytes received per second:    0.5984
Kilobytes sent per second:    0.0832
Queries per second:    170.6349
Percentage of slow queries:    0
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)    55486.79 (should be <= 80)
Table cache usage:
(table_cache)    1 (should be >= 0.5 and <= 0.9)
Key buffer read hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.0081 (should be <= 0.01)
Key buffer write hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.023 (should be <= 0.5)
Thread cache hit rate:
(thread_cache_size)    98.8186 (should be >= 30 )
Thread cache usage:
(thread_cache_size)    0.75 (should be >= 0.7 and <= 0.9)
Temporary table disk usage:
(tmp_table_size)    0.3254 (should be <= 0.5)
Sort merge pass rate:
(sort_buffer)    0 (should be <= 0.001)
Query cache enabled:
(query_cache_type)    1 (should be >= 1 and <= 1)
Query cache miss rate:
(query_cache_limit)    0.0512 (should be <= 0.1)
Query cache prune rate:
(query_cache_size)    0.4004 (should be <= 0.05)

tpruessner

Quote from: dschwab9 on August 09, 2006, 11:51:50 PM
How are you installing eaccelerator on a shared server?  This is something that the server admin would have to install.

I never got it installed...I started going through the eAccel site to figure out how to install it properly and never got it installed.

Bigguy

that`s what I thought. You shouldn`t be trying to install it at all.

Quote from: Bigguy on August 09, 2006, 11:19:33 PM
Althought I don`t know why you would have to install anything yourself for this is a feature the server must turn on as far as I know.

tpruessner

Is there anything else I can do or that I am not doing that could speed the forums up to what they were?  It is crazy - today for instance, they were fairly quick this morning for everyone, then this afternoon - they were as slow as molasses, then this evening - they sped back up, but now they have slowed back down.  There hasn't been more than 8 users on at one time today and I think that was this morning when it was going the fastest. 

青山 素子

Quote from: tpruessner on August 09, 2006, 11:52:03 PM
The status.php loads very very slowly for me too...here it has loaded and this time, this is what it says.

Basic Information
Load averages:              20.98, 25.24, 28.06
Processes by CPU:     httpd (398) 44.3%, Calcium310.pl (1) 24.3%, php (13) 5.7%, htcached (1) 4.4%, (other) (40) 1.2%

Those load averages are insane. To me, It looks like the Calcium310.pl script (whatever that is) is hogging a good portion of the CPU, probably helping cause the slowdown issues. Load hogging like that hurts on shared servers. Whoever that script belongs to needs to fix it. Perhaps you could forward the info to GoDaddy support?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

tpruessner

Ok, I will send it to GoDaddy and ask them what to do from here.  Thank you for your help!  The forum has been running faster this weekend than it was last week.  I may wait and see how this week pans out.  Thanks again!

Nifelhein

I am an admin in a site that is also hosted on GoDaddy and it runs slowly now and then for me, at other times it is lightning fast, time to create page is always less than a second, even when i get 5, 10 and even more seconds to load pages.

My computer is configured fine so i guess it may be a server issue, it seems GoDaddy, while good, has some crawls for hosted sites... let us know of any result you get there. ;)

tpruessner

So far, this week, it has been running fine.  I do think you are right...it is GoDaddy's servers...whether or not they will admit to it..who knows.

Advertisement: