News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[BETA] Integrated Chat Mod 2.0 for SMF BETA 5

Started by Goosemoose, May 02, 2004, 07:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

Java is ALWAYS slow :P.  It wasn't that laggy for me, but I'm on DSL.

* [Unknown] is not a Java-ite.

-[Unknown]

brodle

Quote from: Hyperflo on May 05, 2004, 06:03:09 PM
Just want to thank you all for the assistance...i got it to work.  Now that i have it working, I am not too fond of it, i find it slow and laggy, I also would want to have so people could chat AND browse my site.  My forums are starting to become very active, and I want both available at the same time.

If you are curious about the laggy, maybe it is just me, but I started a guest account so you could see the chat; 

Login:  test
Pass   test

You will need to log in to see the chat.

www.megacrew.com/mcforums/

Took me 15 seconds to download and intialized the applet.  Dont think you could get any faster then that. Also you could make the chat link load in a new browser by adding target="_blank" to the url tag.

ms_ukyankee

Quote from: goosemoose on May 05, 2004, 03:50:05 PM
It should, you probably need to set it up in the Admin area, Edit Features and Options, near the bottom.

I've installed this mod manually, after getting frustrated with the Package errors. Though this version was not manual install friendly, I had to do some splicing of chatdb with the 1.1 chatdb to get that to work.

Thank you for your work on this, and updating it so quickly. :)

The chatdb in 2.0 is the exact same file as in 1.1, in fact you shouldn't have to run it again since the tables don't change at all from 1.1. What was the problem you were having?

The reason I had to run it again was that I had only installed it on a test board, not the live board, so I did need to do an install for that one.

1.1 chatdb.php
<?php
/*****************************************************************************/
/* dbmod.php                                                                  */
/* YaBB: Yet another Bulletin Board                                          */
/* Open-Source Project started by Zef Hemel ([email protected])                 */
/* Software Version: YaBB SE                                                 */
/* ========================================================================= */
/* Software Distributed by:    http://www.yabb.info                          */
/* Support, News, Updates at:  http://www.yabb.info/community                */
/*                             http://yabb.xnull.com/community               */
/* ========================================================================= */
/* Copyright (c) 2001-2002 Lewis Media - All Rights Reserved                 */
/* Software by: The YaBB Development Team                                    */
/* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it   */
/* under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the     */
/* Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your    */
/* option) any later version.                                                */
/*                                                                           */
/* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but       */
/* WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                */
/* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General */
/* Public License for more details.                                          */
/*                                                                           */
/* The GNU GPL can be found in gpl.txt in this directory                     */
?>

<html>
<head>
<title>SMF</title>
<style>
<!--
body {
font-family : Verdana;
font-size : 10pt;
}
td {
font-size : 10pt;
}
-->
</style>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<center><table border=0 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=4 bgcolor="#000000" width=90%>
<tr>
<th bgcolor="#34699E"><font color="#FFFFFF">SMF DB Editor</font></th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<?

include_once ("Settings.php");

$error=0;
$dbcon = mysql_connect($db_server, $db_user, $db_passwd);
mysql_select_db($db_name);

/* ### DB QUERIES START ### */

$result = mysql_query("
INSERT INTO {$db_prefix}settings
(variable, value)
VALUES ('chatLanguage', 'embedded'),
('chatRoomName', 'roomName'),
('chatWidth', '700'),
('chatHeight', '500'),
('chatAppend', '_abbrv'),
('chatRoomsTab', 'FALSE'),
('chatPassword', 'NULL')");

if ($result === false)
    echo '
<font color="red">Error updating the DB. SQL Error: ', mysql_error(), '</font><br />';

/* ### DB QUERIES END ### */

echo "</td></tr></table>";
if($error==0)
echo "<P>Upgrade of SQL was successfull.";
elseif ($error==1)
echo "<P>There was <B>1</B> error when upgrading your SQL.";
elseif ($error>1)
echo "<P>There were <B>$error</B> errors when upgrading your SQL.";
?>

2.0 chatdb.php

<?php

$result 
mysql_query("
INSERT INTO 
{$db_prefix}settings
(variable, value)
VALUES ('chatLanguage', 'embedded'),
('chatRoomName', 'roomName'),
('chatWidth', '700'),
('chatHeight', '500'),
('chatAppend', '_abbrv'),
('chatRoomsTab', 'FALSE'),
('chatPassword', 'NULL')"
);

if (
$result === false)
    echo '
<font color="red">Error updating the DB. SQL Error: '
mysql_error(), '</font><br />';

?>

That might have worked in the Package install, but not for a manual install, which I did in the end, ran out of patience with the Package. :-/ I don't mean to complain, just pointing it out. Maybe I downloaded the wrong file, could have been my fault. (That might not be the exact 1.1 file either, I pasted the 2.0 code into a file and have lost track of whether that's the absolute original.)
SMF since 2004 <3

smacktalk

Quote from: smacktalk on May 05, 2004, 02:25:07 AM
I got it to work thanks. One other thing, when I click on the chat button, the chat sign on appears where you have to add your name and room name. I though it would log you in automatically.

any info on my problem. I did have it installed on my YABBSE board and it worked fine.

brodle

Quote from: smacktalk on May 06, 2004, 01:17:15 PM
Quote from: smacktalk on May 05, 2004, 02:25:07 AM
I got it to work thanks. One other thing, when I click on the chat button, the chat sign on appears where you have to add your name and room name. I though it would log you in automatically.

any info on my problem. I did have it installed on my YABBSE board and it worked fine.

I assume you have the config all setup? With what room name to use and abbrv to use for your users? if not check your admin panel.

One could also overide those setting editing I beleive chat.php.

[Unknown]

Quote from: ms_ukyankee on May 06, 2004, 11:16:29 AM
The reason I had to run it again was that I had only installed it on a test board, not the live board, so I did need to do an install for that one.

1.1 chatdb.php
[ ... stuff ... ]
2.0 chatdb.php

[ ... shorter stuff ... ]

That might have worked in the Package install, but not for a manual install, which I did in the end, ran out of patience with the Package. :-/ I don't mean to complain, just pointing it out. Maybe I downloaded the wrong file, could have been my fault. (That might not be the exact 1.1 file either, I pasted the 2.0 code into a file and have lost track of whether that's the absolute original.)

Yes, that is for the package... I redid it because it was first long, and second reconnecting to the database. (inefficient!)

It will need to connect to the database if not from the package manager.

-[Unknown]

Goosemoose

For those of you having problems using the package you can use the mod I posted in the first post and apply it manually by following the directions in the .mod file.

smacktalk

Quote from: goosemoose on May 10, 2004, 01:41:53 AM
For those of you having problems using the package you can use the mod I posted in the first post and apply it manually by following the directions in the .mod file.

I have tried the manual and package installation and I still get the same problem, the login name and room name is blank, see attached.

Oldiesmann

There should be a chat button or link in the menu assuming the mod was installed properly..
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

ms_ukyankee

I don't know if this will help, but here's the difference between your page source and mine, at least for the applet parameters.

yours:
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://irc.everywherechat.com:8000/Java/e.js?room=roomname&roomstab=false&width=600&height=400&nick=__mab&keypass=&paramfilename=English.prm"></script>

mine:
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://irc.everywherechat.com:8000/Java/e.js?room=roomname&roomstab=FALSE&width=500&height=350&nick=nickname_ext&keypass=&paramfilename=embedded.prm">

Could the english/embedded paramfilename language thingy cause it? it looks like the only difference.
SMF since 2004 <3

oer

Quote from: smacktalk on May 12, 2004, 03:17:02 AM
I have tried the manual and package installation and I still get the same problem, the login name and room name is blank, see attached.

I'm getting the same problems as well. Login name and roomname are blank and chat data section is not telling how many users and their names are in the chatroom. 

I get the following error:

Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatLanguage' for key 1
Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatRoomName' for key 1
Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatWidth' for key 1
Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatHeight' for key 1
Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatAppend' for key 1
Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatRoomsTab' for key 1
Error updating the DB. SQL Error: Duplicate entry 'chatPassword' for key 1

Sounds like I'm doing something dumb  :-[ . Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

oer.
hxxp:oneeyed-richmond.com [nonactive] - Home of the Mighty Tigers!

[Unknown]

Oer, you can successfully ignore those problems.  An INSERT IGNORE should probably be used for those keys, by the way, Goosemoose.

But, it should work ever with those.  Just edit the settings in Features Settings and Options under Chat.

-[Unknown]

smacktalk

mcalan2001

Quote from: [Unknown] on May 14, 2004, 11:57:26 PM
But, it should work ever with those.  Just edit the settings in Features Settings and Options under Chat.

Ah! I loaded the Chat Room on my test system and everything seemed to be working. Until I went to Features Settings and Options and got the following:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/sites/site8/web/yabbse/Themes/default/languages/Help.english.php on line 358

Just when it was all going so well.

[Unknown]

Might look earlier in this topic, that's been covered ;).

-[Unknown]

oer

Quote from: [Unknown] on May 14, 2004, 11:57:26 PM
Oer, you can successfully ignore those problems.  An INSERT IGNORE should probably be used for those keys, by the way, Goosemoose.

-[Unknown]

Thanks [Unknown]. The problem was I had a two word name for my chatroom...Doh!  :-[ Once I joined them with an underscore it worked perfectly. I had another prob with "chat.gif" image not coming up but dopey me forgot to add the chat code to the file index_template.php in my new theme directory instead of the default directory. Anyway works a treat now. Thanks goosemoose and [Unknown] for coming up with the mod  :)

Cheers,

oer.
hxxp:oneeyed-richmond.com [nonactive] - Home of the Mighty Tigers!

brodle

Some people have requested different color chat applets for this mod. In order to do this there are about 21  images that make up the skin of the applet. So this means you need to use adobe or some other image program to change the skin. If anyone would like to change the skin color the files are at http://www.everywherechat.com/skins.zip

You can email  me the change files back in a zip to [email protected] and I can work up the code to make it use them.

PlayGroundFor.us

This is a great script/mod thank you for taking the time to put it together. I was wondering if I could get some adivise on how to fix a small problem.  On the index page where it shows the "chat stats" it always says that "there are people talking in the chat room." even when know one is there. I am sure this is do to the problems I had during the install where I installed an uninstalled a couple of times. I have gone through the manual process and everything seems to be done correctly. So if someone could please help.

brodle

I changed the script on my end to display 0 if no one is in the room rather then being blank.  The actual wording is in the php page.

brodle

Quote from: ms_ukyankee on May 13, 2004, 04:12:16 PM
I don't know if this will help, but here's the difference between your page source and mine, at least for the applet parameters.

yours:
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://irc.everywherechat.com:8000/Java/e.js?room=roomname&roomstab=false&width=600&height=400&nick=__mab&keypass=&paramfilename=English.prm"></script>

mine:
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://irc.everywherechat.com:8000/Java/e.js?room=roomname&roomstab=FALSE&width=500&height=350&nick=nickname_ext&keypass=&paramfilename=embedded.prm">

Could the english/embedded paramfilename language thingy cause it? it looks like the only difference.

it should be embedded.prm  for english translation.

Advertisement: