News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Server Load

Started by SleePy, August 14, 2006, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
Hello,

The other day my server was using to much cpu processes. So I redid my forums and added TP in it so it would also double as my Homepage and I could drop Joomla.
That worked and brought down my cpu usage greatly...

Today The server is taking another beating of slowness. I couldn't access my ftp for a while now because of it. Page load times were at 3 seconds. So I disabled forums for about 1 min and it brought it down to 0.2 secs.. Which did some good and got my ftp back for me.

There are some hidden settings I heard in my version that prevent server overloads???
What are they and suggested changes for them?

I am running on a shared server with php 5.1.4 installed and MySQL 4.1.20-standard

My status.php file shows:
Operating System:     CentOS release 3.7 (Final)
Processor:    Intel® Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz (2992.808MHz)
Load averages:    5.39, 8.96, 9.47
Current processes:    236 (228 sleeping, 1 running, 7 zombie)
Processes by CPU:    mysqld (1) 8.9%, php (1) 4.2%, exim (20) 3.7%, spamd (3) 2.2%, imapd (10) 0.7%
Memory usage:    95.875% (2945260k / 3071980k)
Swap: 1.867% (156568k / 8385920k)

From doing a little searching I hopefully got this correct but want to make sure.
Memory usage is ok to be that high for a linux server right? but want low Swap?
And Sleeping Processes are ok but not zombie?

Could I be told why my mysql usage is high? that seems like allot to me and stays about their all day no mater the php usage or not..

I disabled hostname lookups. Does that have an effect on the server? I read somewhere that it helps performance. But I would like to clarify this.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Ben_S

Quote from: SleePy on August 14, 2006, 01:27:34 PM
I am running on a shared server with php 5.1.4 installed and MySQL 4.1.20-standard

Impossible to tell anything then really since the load is for the entire server not just your account.

From doing a little searching I hopefully got this correct but want to make sure.
Memory usage is ok to be that high for a linux server right? but want low Swap?
And Sleeping Processes are ok but not zombie?

Load is perhaps a tad high although it depends on exactly what is causing it as to whether it is an issue, memory and ram usage is fine.

QuoteCould I be told why my mysql usage is high? that seems like allot to me and stays about their all day no mater the php usage or not..

It isn't just your MySQL usage.

QuoteI disabled hostname lookups. Does that have an effect on the server? I read somewhere that it helps performance. But I would like to clarify this.

Nope, they are only looked up when needed, it won't really affect anything.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

SleePy

mysqld isn't just mysql usage? then what is it all?

Would their be a way to determine what is causing the higher than normal php usage?
I run a phpnuke and php-evo site as well but they do not take as many hits as my main site does. They run most current versions.

So a Hostname would only be looked up for people who do not have one stored in the database or come from a different ip (range?) than the current one?

I disabled search a while ago to keep my usage down even though its not used much. People are to lazy to search up stuff.

Im on a shared server with lunarpages who does weird things to determine the amount of usage each user uses. So would the stats shown be mine or the whole server?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Ben_S

Quote from: SleePy on August 14, 2006, 01:57:59 PM
mysqld isn't just mysql usage? then what is it all?

It's MySQL usage for the entire server, not just your account.

QuoteWould their be a way to determine what is causing the higher than normal php usage?
I run a phpnuke and php-evo site as well but they do not take as many hits as my main site does. They run most current versions.

Again, this is just pulled from the output of top which means the values for php related to the entire server, not just your account.

QuoteSo a Hostname would only be looked up for people who do not have one stored in the database or come from a different ip (range?) than the current one?

Hostnames are not stored in the database, they are worked out when someone with permission to see IP's views a profile.

QuoteIm on a shared server with lunarpages who does weird things to determine the amount of usage each user uses. So would the stats shown be mine or the whole server?

The whole server.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: