Can you reference (link to) a topic in a separate topin (not a reply)?

Started by yianni, August 14, 2006, 03:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yianni

I'm trying to create a forum where a registered user should be able to post a new topic and include a reference to another topic in the form of a link. The idea is like this:

Scenario 1

User A creates Post A1
User B creates Post B1 and in it has a reference and link to Post A1

OR

Scenario 2

User A creates Post A1
User B creates Post B1
User C replies to post B1 and in in his/her reply has a reference and link to Post A1

Is that possible and if so how?

Thanks in advance.

sawz

you mean like this?

if you click the Re: Name of Subject, the link is shown in the address bar, cut n paste
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

sawz

Quote from: sawz on August 15, 2006, 08:44:42 AM
you mean like this?

if you click the Re: Name of Subject, the link is shown in the address bar, cut n paste

and add this link

hope thats what you meant. :)

yianni

Thanks for the reply but, unless I missed what you were showing me, it's not exactly what I need. What I'm looking for is the ability to include a link to a message that is on a different topic and/or thread all together. The challenge is to get this link at the time of compositing your own message.

So for example I would like to be able to link to this without having to go and look for it before. Something like having a drop down or a search for option within the message composition screen.

sawz

knt3424

Just open up a second browser and use it to find the link you want without leaving your posting screen.  It would basically be the same thing as having to wade through a menu to find it.  Then if you want to link to several different posts, you could use the second browser to find the post when you need it in that part of your message...  copy paste alt-tab back and forth and you'll be flying through what you need...  at work I enter orders while using about 10 different systems (all intranet/internet based) and having IE open 10 times (they won't let us use firefox..grrrr) and copy/paste/alt-tab are the only way to stay ahead!

algieres

Quote from: yianni on August 14, 2006, 03:04:25 PM
I'm trying to create a forum where a registered user should be able to post a new topic and include a reference to another topic in the form of a link. The idea is like this:

Scenario 1

User A creates Post A1
User B creates Post B1 and in it has a reference and link to Post A1

OR

Scenario 2

User A creates Post A1
User B creates Post B1
User C replies to post B1 and in in his/her reply has a reference and link to Post A1

Is that possible and if so how?

Thanks in advance.
dude, just copy and paste right out of the brouser! write ya message and paste the link at end of it! and it becomes a link to other page!

Advertisement: