News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Smileys disappeared

Started by Oldiesmann, May 06, 2004, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Not sure how this happened, but suddenly the smileys aren't showing up on my friend's board. The only thing I've done recently is installed the shoutbox (by hand - no thanks to "SAFE MODE"...), and that didn't even touch the templates. The only files that modified were modSettings.php, index.php and Subs.php, none of which have anything to do with the smileys. What could be the problem?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Grudge

Are they still appearing in "manage smileys"? Are they still in the SQL table?

If so you haven't disabled the smiley set/chosen an empty smiley set somehow??
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

You can choose not to use smileys in your profile.

-[Unknown]

Oldiesmann

I realize that. The thing is, I haven't chosen that option - they aren't showing up for anyone no matter what I have my smiley-using options set to in my profile.

EDIT: Grudge - the smiley sets are still there, and the custom smileys are still in the manage smileys area and in the database. They were working fine until sometime yesterday...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Chris Cromer

If BBC is disabled in the admin center it also disables smilies... just a note hope it helps.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

Oldiesmann

BBCode isn't disabled either... That's why I can't figure out what the heck is going on.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Oldiesmann

This is really weird. If I use the classic theme, I see an "Add Smileys: " row but no smileys (regardless of what setting I choose). If I use the default theme, I don't even see a row there unless I select "No Smileys", in which case I see a blank row where the smileys would be.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Oldiesmann

Ok... I figured out what happened. It was kinda my fault.

When I was helping my friend set everything up, I also added some custom smileys for him, but didn't realize that if you're using custom smileys, you need to have the regular smileys entered as "custom" smileys too even when you want users to be able to select which smiley set they want to use (I thought custom smileys meant use these images all the time...), so I removed those from the list when I was setting things up. Then, somehow the remaining custom smileys all got set to "hidden", so they weren't showing up either. After grabbing the rest of the smiley stuff from the sql file and re-adding the custom smileys, I re-organized things and now everything's working again... Sure took me long enough to figure that out... :)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: