News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What do i need to know if I switch from a Windows server to Linux?

Started by Dave P, August 21, 2006, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave P

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
My forum keeps getting sluggish and then giving me PHP error messages. I'm lead to believe that this is because I'm on a Windows server, which has memory management issues, and I should switch to a Linux server.

Is there anything I need to know before I request this from my provider? If they do the switch will everything carry on as normal or do I need to do stuff? I lost everything upgrading from 1.0.7 to 1.1 RC2 and don't want to have to start again!

(yes I did backup from the admin panel but couldn't find a way of uploading the backup.)

I know this might have been asked many times but a couple of forum searches didn't find anything.

BTW - despite my problems so far i have to say taht SMF is rfeally rather good. Top stuff.

kegobeer

You shouldn't have any problems if your host moves your site to a Linux box.  In this case, I would download all of the files to your local machine and also use phpMyAdmin to do a complete database dump just in case your host accidentally loses your files and/or database during the move.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

vbgamer45

I run it on windows and am I fine.
The main thing after you move you will need to run repair settings since the file paths will change.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: