News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Sneaky Editing

Started by Sheda, March 09, 2012, 11:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheda

Link to Mod

With this modification, admins can choose not to leave a "last modified on x by Admin"-message, whenever they edit a post.

To do this, there's a checkbox in the additional post options. It will only work for that one modify, so if you modify the same post again later, you will have to tick the checkbox again, if you want it to be hidden again. The same checkbox can be found next to the submit button when doing a quick modify.

As this mod manipulates your data on the way to the database, there's no way to make your edit show after you "hid" it and there's no way to hide edits that are already there.
On the other hand, edits previously made by the post owners will stay if you edit their posts using the checkbox.

If you want to hide all of your edits, check out this mod.

If you want to hide all of your edits and care about traceless editing of your members' posts (i.e. their "last modified" messages not mysteriously vanishing), install both mods and use the checkbox as needed.

-> The code of this modification is licensed via Artistic License 2.0.

Zuća

Sheda

Thank you.
This reminds me that i wanted to add screens to the mod site too. But i didn't know how to do it. Hope it will work by just adding them to the file list. xD
Yep, got some more screens now. ^^

Branko.

Translation for:

-serbian_latin
-serbian_cyrillic
-croatian
iso/utf8 ..for all also added error="skip"

If you wish include this in next version  ;)
Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up.
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Sheda

Cool, thank you. ^.^
Maybe i'll wait for more languages/changes to pile up, but i will definitely add it.

4Kstore

Nice mod, here is the spanish translation...

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.spanish_es.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<search position="end"></search>
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['hide_edit'] = 'Ocultar "Última Modificación".';]]></add>
</operation>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.spanish_latin.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['hide_edit'] = 'Ocultar "Última Modificación".';]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Adrek

and Polish language :)

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.polish.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['hide_edit'] = 'Ukryj czas ostatniej edycji.';]]></add>
</operation>
</file>
<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.polish-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['hide_edit'] = 'Ukryj czas ostatniej edycji.';]]></add>
</operation>
</file>
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

Sheda

I've made a new version that supports 1.1.x. If there are any bugs, let me know.
When i was at it, i also added all of the languages. 8)

MadTogger

Hi,

great MOD.

As aside to this, does anyone know where in the database the info for the last edits is kept, i.e.

'« Last Edit: March, 30 2012 18:33:49 by Admin »'

I know this MOD will not disable the display of last edits prior to install, I would like to be able to do mine manually from within the database.

Regards..,

MT  :)

Robert.

Nice mod :) Dutch:
$txt['hide_edit'] = 'Verberg "laatst bewerkt".';

MadTogger

Quote from: MadTogger on April 09, 2012, 11:59:49 AM
Hi,

great MOD.

As aside to this, does anyone know where in the database the info for the last edits is kept, i.e.

'« Last Edit: March, 30 2012 18:33:49 by Admin »'

I know this MOD will not disable the display of last edits prior to install, I would like to be able to do mine manually from within the database.

Regards..,

Right, I figured it out.

After adding this great MOD, I really wanted any previous edits that I had done as Admin to also not display:

for example '« Last Edit: March, 30 2012 18:33:49 by Admin »'

I found straight away that I could not acheive this by coding as the data was already written to the database.

I logged into my SMF Forum's database WebAdmin.

Amongst all the tables there is one called 'smf_messages', this looked like a good candidate and low & behold this table held all the data relating to forum messages including 'modified_time' & 'modified_name'.

I just did an SQL Query as follows:

SELECT 'modified_name' FROM 'smf_messages' WHERE 'modified_name' LIKE 'admin'

This returned a list of all messages on my forum where the message had been edited after the initial posting by myself, Admin.

I then just edited these fields one by one deleting the information held in the;

'modified_time' field, a 10 digit number
&
'modified_name' field

saving each entry after making both of these deletions.

Now my forum does not display any edits on posts that I have made prior to installing this MOD.

If anyone else wishes to do the the same, just remember to change the 'modified_name' in the SQL Query to your own actual forum administrator name.

Also, be extremely careful editing the database, you could really screw your forum up.

Regards..,

Advertisement: