How to convert YaBB Gold 1.1 to SMF 1.0 Beta 5 Public ?

Started by Ravey76, May 09, 2004, 11:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravey76

Hello everybody,

I´ sure this topic has been discussed already somewhere - but I found no answer .... maybe some can help me?
(this is my first thread in this forum)

I have following problem:

-> I am an absoulte "database-newby" and I just got my first databased forum installed
(have a look:  http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/YaBBSE/index.php ;don´t mind about the YABBSE-folder; it is SMF1 - I just mistyped it during installation)

I am running an older forum, which is a YaBB Gold 1.1
(have a look:  http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl )

Now I´d like to convert somehow my members and postings to the new forum.

How can I do that?

I found already some converters mentioned in this forum here, but no one
seems to work (they are all for YaBBSE 1.5.1 a.s.o.)

Does anybody have any instructions / hints / tools for me?

Thanks in advance,
Ravey

Grudge

Hi,

Unfortunatly we don't have a direct converter at the moment. What you are going to have to do (I'm afraid) is install YaBBSE 1.5.5 as well, and use the converter that exists for YaBBSE  to convert it, and then up to SMF afterwards, as detailed here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=433.0

Basically, you need an extra step :)
I'm only a half geek really...

Ravey76

Hi again,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Can you tell me if there will be a converter Yabb > SMF in the near future?

If not, I will give the "Two-Step-solution" - as described in the links - a try.

Another question:

- If I have to install YaBB SE 1.5.x, do I have to create another Database?
Please don´t laugh  :D  -  can I install this "older" forum (YaBB SE) within
this database (for example as another instance?). My problem is that my provider
(to be more detailled: my web-package) contains just ONE MySQL-database.
In case I can install both forums within one database - do they interfere somehow,
or can I de-install the YaBBSE-forum afterwards without any problems?

As I mentioned ... my first steps in database´ing   ;)

Thanks a lot for your help   :)

Ravey

[Unknown]

No, what you'd do is just use one database that will eventually only hold SMF.  The SMF upgrade package takes that database (the YaBB SE one) and upgrades it for SMF.

-[Unknown]

ms_ukyankee

QuoteMy problem is that my provider
(to be more detailled: my web-package) contains just ONE MySQL-database.
In case I can install both forums within one database - do they interfere somehow,
or can I de-install the YaBBSE-forum afterwards without any problems?

You can have multiple applications using the tables in one database if they have different prefixes, for instance, smf_ prefix for smf tables, and gallery_ for some sort of gallery tables, or yabbse_ for another forum, etc. These prefixes are settings in the applications.

Just wanted to point that out as I was a database noob not very long ago. :)
SMF since 2004 <3

Ravey76

Hello ms_ukyankee ,

thank you for your help, I will give YaBBSE a try   :)

How many applications can I use within a database?
Do they decrease (somehow) a database performance? (attention:  *noob-alert!*)   ;)

Nevertheless I hope there will be a direct converter from YaBB 1G to SMF someday.
Maybe some of the developers can tell me if such an converter will be publishes (and maybe when?)

Thanks a lot,
Ravey

Oldiesmann

There really isn't a given limit as to how many applications can be running on a single database, and performance depends on a lot of things, such as what the applications are doing with the database, and whether or not they leave open connections all over the place. Some things will require a constant connection to the database regardless of whether or not they're using it, while others try not to bog down the server and free up any memory used by the query results when they're done with them.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Ravey76

Hi there,

it works!   :D

I installed the YABBSE 1.5.5, converted my "old" data from YaBB Gold SP 1 to YABB SE,
and afterwards I upgraded everything to SMF!

It was easy - thanX for your help!

But I still have some questions (or maybe some "bugs" in the software?)

Problem 1:
On some computers sometimes appears after logon a popup window, which tries to save
the "index.php"-file of my forum to my HDD. I have to click on "Cancel" and on "Home" > everything is
normal again & works well ... until next logon! This problem doesn't appear everytime;
one some computers it doesn't appear at all, on others every time... funny, isn' t it?

Maybe someone has an idea, what this means ...

Problem 2:
Not really a problem ... I´d like to convert my MOD´s from my YaBB Gold - forum to the new
one. Okay, I know this are two different systems; but maybe someone has a link to some kind
of "Mod-Page" for SMF.  I´d really like to have a "Member Map" for my new SMF-forum  :D

Thanks a lot,
Ravey

Ravey76

Short addition ... another bug?

Sometimes (maybe it depends on browser?) I cannot upload / display pictures within a thread.
Some of my members even get an error message like this:

Fatal error: imagecreatetruecolor(): requires GD 2.0 or later in [location-of-file] /YaBBSE155/Sources/Subs-Graphics.php on line 162

Can someone tell me whats the meaning of this?

Thanks a lot,
Ravey

Oldiesmann

A few other people have run into the problem of the browser trying to download index.php... I think the problem is caused by incorrect PHP configuration, so talk to your host about that one.

Currently there is no membermap mod for SMF that I know of, but Globalopper is working on one. It will probably be available when SMF 1.0 Final is released later this year...

The third problem is being caused because you either don't have the GD library or you have an older version. The GD library is a graphics library that does cool things with images. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to disable that function, so you should talk to your host about this as well. They shouldn't have a problem installing the GD library because it's quite common.

EDIT: More information about the GD Library and php image functions can be found at http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Ravey76

@ Oldiesmann:

Hello Oldiesmann,

thanks for your help.
I checked my providers website and they are using GD 1.6.2 ... I guess this is ´lil bit too old, isn' t it?

About my index.php-problem I found some funny interaction:
- as soon as I tried to upload a picture into a thread of mine, the picture got "undisplayable" (red X). Even if I download the attachmend, it could' t be displayed (file seems to be corrupt). I logged off my forum and tried to login as ADMIN -> but hey, my old pal "index.php"-error (file tries to download) appears again.

Then I deactivated "GD-stuff" and "file-upload", closed my IE, opened it again and - Voilá, it works again, no problems.

Here some tech-specs from my provider:

ZLib 1.13
XML Support
WDDX Support
Session Support (maxlifetime 1440, auto_start OFF)
Posix 1.1.1.1
PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions)
MySQL Support
mcrypt 2.4.x (Modes: cbc cfb ecb nofb ofb stream)
gd Version 1.6.2 (Formate: jpg, png, wbmp), gif-Support wird aus lizenzrechtlichen Gründen nicht bereitgestellt   (means: licence-problems; no gif´s)
domxml Version 2.3.6
dba Support (Handler: gdbm ndbm db2)
Calendar Support
BCMath Support
other Modules: sysvshm , sysvsem, mhash, dbase

Can you do something with this information?

Thanks,
Ravey

Oldiesmann

What version of php are they using? PHP has come bundled with GD 2 since version 4.3
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

Many people compile in old versions of GD to get gif support.  Technically, this *could* be considered illegal outside the United States... and it is sticky.  After this summer, newer versions of GD should have gif support built back in.

-[Unknown]

Ravey76

@ Oldiesmann

*uuh*  I don' t  know which exact version they use. In their FAQ the yjust mention "PHP 4", thats all.
How can I find out the PHP-version?

Oldiesmann

Open notepad, copy and paste the following code, save it as phpinfo.php, upload it to your server and then run it:

<?php
phpinfo
();
?>

Leave it up there after you see it and I'll take a look at it as well.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Ravey76

Hello Oldiesmann,

okay - uploaded that phpinfo-file. It says lots of stuff (e.g. PHP 4.1.2)

And heres the link:
( see your eMail )

My forum:
http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/YaBBSE155/index.php

Previous Test-Forum (directly installed, without upgrade - but same problems):
http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/YaBBSE/index.php

Greetings,
Ravey

Oldiesmann

Yeah... PHP 4.1.2 is a bit old (according to that thing, about 2 years old). GD2 has come bundled with PHP since version 4.3 (which is still old, but not as old as your version). Ask your host to upgrade to the latest version of PHP (and MySQL while they're at it - no sense in running the latest PHP version with an outdated MySQL version) and you shouldn't have any more problems. If they refuse, tell them you'll take your site elsewhere, and if they still refuse then I'd find another host.

I also noticed that your host has PHP set up to run as CGI, but that's not really a big issue.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: