Ideas for new admins ...

Started by Niteblade, August 25, 2006, 06:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niteblade

• Take advantage of myspace !
If you don't already have a myspace page, create one. If you're the type that needs a place for everything and everything in its place, then create a myspace page that advertises yourself that is distinct from your personal one. My myspace page is : http://www.myspace.com/tgrijalva ... On it, I provide links back to my forum, and I'm hosting images of book covers on my site that are called from myspace. Clicking on the images of the book takes you to my online bookstore.

• If you haven't already, advertise your forum in your signature
Moreover, this is important after reading this blog : http://www.nevblog.com/2005/07/google-experiment-2-herb-kelleher.html ... Therefore, when you advertise your forum, do so in a descriptive keyword kind of way. Instead of naming your link "My forum," ... name it "Halo Community Site" or "Halo cheat codes" or something of the like.

• Provide an incentive for people to post
On my West Texas Blogging site, there is the possibility, through wordpress, for people, ANYONE, to contribute an article and earn adsense revenue credit on it. Some people are opposed to this idea because it detracts from "quality" and favors "quantity" however, adsense revenue sharing is, in my opinion, a good way to encourage new posters to a blog -- moreover, the diversity of people will keep people on your site longer, and the longer they stay, the more interested they are .... and if they are interested, they might even bookmark it. An on the blog site, you have have a ... guess what ??? .... a LINK that points to your forum!

• Don't be discouraged by people not signing up -- by people not posting
I've had my forum for months and have 9 members -- none contribute because they are "too busy". Granted, my niche is an area of high competition (stock market information sharing) and people tend to stay away from forums with little to no activity. Therefore, attempt to recruit your friends and family who share similar interests... also, friends and family might even use your forum or chat room to keep in touch moreso than email. Hey, it's possible. I've attempted, and have thus far failed. Therefore my forum have become somewhat of a blog ?
When is someone gonna develop a mod for SMF that allows for adsense revenue sharing ?!?!??!?!

• Don't think that your forum is going to earn your money.
There are a handful of admins who make a living from their forum. If you're one of them, great. But for the rest of us, a forum is slow to start, hand to get members to post, and is more of a hobby than a business adventure. Therefore, use your forum as a blog, or use it to communicate with a few select people in the beginning. As long as you keep your forum online, as I have for several months with no "success," it is NOT dead.

• Use Google to get the word out[/u]
As long as my forum and other sites, such as my Bookstore have little traffic, I budget $1.00 per day per site to advertise on Google.

In closing, your forum represent "you". And this is essentially, how your forum differs from any one else's. Your insights, your thoughts, your observations, and your suggestions, are YOURS. And therefore, you have a chance to be unique. Diversity is always a good thing in cyberspace.

affiliate blog

Gary

Its also a good idea to have a website of some sort to help back up your forum.

Some very nice tips there Nite.

-AwwLilMaggie
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Skipdawg

Nice job with the tips there.  ;)
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

kylratix

Cool post.

With any form of community site, you gotta have a gimmick. That is the "location, location, location" equivalent for websites.

If you only install a forum for a given subject and do nothing more than wish for the best, it will fail.

With forums, you need a reason for people to browse the forum. People will contribute after they find useful information that benefits them. This means that you have to do work ... other than just running a forum.

What you're really doing with a forum - or any site - is marketing. You have to completely identify your target audience, your market, and then identify exactly what they want. Most forum administrators have no idea what their forum wants. This is why most forums fail. Pick up pen & pad and make a list. If you have Outlook, make a re-occurring calendar item that reminds you of your goals for this, like salesmen do.

Think about what you would want as a reader. Fulfill the reader's needs first and a percentage of those people will become posters by default.

TANDIONO.COM

H

Quote* Take advantage of myspace !

If you don't already have a myspace page, create one. If you're the type that needs a place for everything and everything in its place, then create a myspace page that advertises yourself that is distinct from your personal one. My myspace page is : http://www.myspace.com/tgrijalva ... On it, I provide links back to my forum, and I'm hosting images of book covers on my site that are called from myspace. Clicking on the images of the book takes you to my online bookstore.

Really this is only relevant if your target audience is people age 15-25 ;)

Apart from that, good post :D
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Niteblade

Moreover, if you haven't done so already, place a small icon next to your adsense ads, if you use adsense. Many have reported that their CTR increases with the addition of a nice little icon.
affiliate blog

xlegacyx

Quote from: nite0859 on August 27, 2006, 09:34:01 PM
Moreover, if you haven't done so already, place a small icon next to your adsense ads, if you use adsense. Many have reported that their CTR increases with the addition of a nice little icon.
Yeah, I've tried that on one of my websites and the CTR did indeed increase. Just make sure they don't relate to the ad too much or it would violate Google's rather strict TOS.

samames

Yeah, some nice advice there! aah, I've just setup a new topic called 'the myspace technique' check it out if you want to add me to ur myspace...
Firefox 3 user. Mac user. Pc user.

rockinaway

Yes a website is useful to have.

Post exchanges are good to do, as sometimes the members can on. Link exchanges etc
Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

sypher88

I'm lost on how to start out my forum. I've gotten a couple of members but the topic I'm doing my forum about really doesn't sell I don't beleive. I'm thinking of starting up a different forum under another domain name. Here is my current forum please give me some helpful advice http://www.creative-myspace.com/forums2 [nofollow]

Thanks  :(

rockinaway

Hmm.. it is a 'different' subject to pick :D ... well the same applies as said above, just I would say that you will have to work hard on it.

If you are comitted to that topic and can talk alot about it then getting members shouldn't be a problem. Post good content for each of your sections, so people get attracted and are interested to join.

The obvious thing advertise on MySpace, you are bound to get a few  ;)

Another way, which I havent tried and i don't think it would work for site but this is general :D, is try giving people business cards to keep in their shops, probably for more professional sites!

Hope that helps

Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

sypher88

Thanks !!! I'm just starting out. I'm 17 years old and already in college for Web Design. I know HTML, CSS, XHTML and thats basically it. I'm able to tell what I'm looking at somewhat when I look at PHP and things like that so I'm learning along the way. I think I want to change my forum topic to something more easy going, something everyone can relate too and not just my friends on Myspace.

Thanks for the Advice !!!  :D

rockinaway

Right, fyi im only 13 :P and me too I am learning on the way!

One big thing you said wrong there. The forum should be about something you can talk about as I said. Dont have it so that you want other people to come, if you believe in the topic, and can talk and live with it then go for it.

sypher88

I'm still not too sure what I want my forum to be about. I need to put more effort into it before I decide my final forum topic. I'm pretty sure Myspace is overfilled with tons of forums already and mine will be really hard to succeed with. I'll eventually think of another idea but for now I'm doing what I can to learn.

Thanks Again !!!  8)

rockinaway

Try getting a piece of paper, write down all your hobbies and interests and then branch off them to see the different aspects and then there you got it :D

Advertisement: