News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

High CPU Load

Started by patanjali, August 30, 2006, 03:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patanjali

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
I've received a warning from my hosting company that a php script is overloading the server's CPU. My site is small- I've an average of 100 users/day and over 10-15 posts/day...
I'm using SMF 1.1 RC2.
I noticed at the Load Stats of my account that the CPU limit has been exceeded each day since Aug 14th. I noticed about 1000902 queries to the database which could be the reason for the 11% CPU usage. (My CPU limit is 3%)

A link to my forum- hxxp:teoria1.com/smf [nonactive] (currently disabled)
hxxp:teoria1.com/smf/status.php [nonactive]
hxxp:www.teoria1.com/phpinfo.php [nonactive]
I am on a shared hosting plan.
I have persistant connections turned OFF.
I've patched my forum with the Firefox bugfix for 1.1 RC2.
I don't have eAccelerator or another optimizer installed.

J. Williams

You can try upgrading to SMF 1.1 RC3 as it has many bugfixes and a few new features :P
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Tony Reid

Thats not normal for a standard install of RC2.

Do you have any mods installed?
Tony Reid

patanjali

Quote from: J J Williams on August 30, 2006, 03:31:36 AM
You can try upgrading to SMF 1.1 RC3 as it has many bugfixes and a few new features :P
I wish to upgrage, but my site is Joomla+smf and I'm not sure that the bridge will work...

Skipdawg

Quote from: patanjali on August 30, 2006, 04:14:02 AM
Quote from: J J Williams on August 30, 2006, 03:31:36 AM
I wish to upgrage, but my site is Joomla+smf and I'm not sure that the bridge will work...

You should look this over then. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=107585.0
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

patanjali

Quote from: Tony on August 30, 2006, 03:42:35 AM
Thats not normal for a standard install of RC2.

Do you have any mods installed?
I've the following mods installed:
1. Reply To 1.0.3
2. Skype Name Mod 1.0
3. Member list by registration 1.0
4. vDirectNofiy Mod 0.91
5. Now Playing 1.1
6. vWarn Mod 1.08
7. vMulticolor-Stars Mod 0.96
8. Quick Menu 1.2
9. Board Notes 1.0.4
10. SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update 1.0
11. Board Default Sort 1.25
12. Language Tag 1.1.1
13. SMF 1.1 RC2 Security Patch - 2 1.1 RC2

Fizzy

Plenty of Mods there.

If you are under threat from your host then drastic action may be called for.
If I was you I would remove all mods and take the forum back to default, then test and record the server stats.
Once the server stats have settled down then you could add a single mod every few days but test the server stats in between each addition.
If you suddenly see the stats rise then you have found which one was causing the problem.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

H

Did your host say which php script was causing the problem?

It is possible that the problem is being caused by Joomla which uses loads more queries than SMF
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Fizzy

That was what I was wondering Huw, :) hence the suggestion of going back to default and rebuilding the site.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

patanjali

Quote from: huwnet on August 30, 2006, 11:56:28 AM
Did your host say which php script was causing the problem?

It is possible that the problem is being caused by Joomla which uses loads more queries than SMF
I received the following answer:
"I am afraid that I am not able to provide you with the information about which file is causing the load, but I think that it might be the combination of sql queries and traffic to the site.
Regarding the Mysql , unfortunately an update has not been planed for now."
My host uses MySQL 4.1.11

patanjali

Now almost all mods are removed (except Reply and Skype mod). Of course, I can't be sure that the forum was causing the problem...
It's very curious, because I'm not chaged anything during these few weeks, when I experienced this problem... Nothing new installated or changed (both on Joomla and SMF), mods was installated by me on March...
I've repaired and then optimised my tables, using phpMyAdmin.
For yesterday my account has used:4.63% CPU average the last 24 hours. (over 1,5% before)
It's very strange (for me)!  :-\

Anyway, thank you for help! I will keep you in touch. Let me know if you have other suggestions. with my luck,I will try all of them, before take some good results... :)

SleePy

I think joomla causes high cpu loads..
My host suspended my account for high cpu usage on php.. I redid my site using TP as my portal for my homepage. Have not have a problem since. They even said it dropped greatly. Which means what ever joomla does causes slow loads.
I believe its its the buffering system. Which holds all data before it sends it to you so mambots work..
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Hello,

I can't really tell you what is wrong without running a profiler. However, your host should be able to tell you the script path of whichever script it is that's taking long to load / too much CPU time.

Does your Joomla have any type XML parser, or AJAX mods?

-Christian

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

patanjali

Hi Christian,

Quote from: ChristianH. on August 30, 2006, 10:42:47 PM
Does your Joomla have any type XML parser, or AJAX mods?
No  :)

Quote from: ChristianH. on August 30, 2006, 10:42:47 PM
I can't really tell you what is wrong without running a profiler. However, your host should be able to tell you the script path of whichever script it is that's taking long to load / too much CPU time.
My host don't want or can't tell me which script causes the problem. They told me to find to myself where is the problem and don't plan to install new versions of Php, Mysql or some accelerator.... ::)

So, I will change the host first. ;)
Talk later.
Thanks to all!

Advertisement: