Started by karlbenson, September 20, 2007, 10:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

Link to Mod

IMDB INFOGRABBER v1.0
By Karl Benson

Link to Mod | Comment On This Mod

Introduction
Adds [imdb][/imdb] bbcode supporting IMDB Films and Names (actor/writer/director) pages. It grabs the info from IMDB (caching if enabled) for use in posts.

Installation
Simply install the package to install this modification on the Default theme.

Manual edits will be required for non-default themes to insert the BBcode button onto the Post.template.php and (unlikely) the admin settings onto the Admin.template.php

A copy of the imdblogo.gif will also need to be placed in the images folder of each theme and a copy of the the imdb.gif in the images/bbc folder of each theme.

For non-english languages you will need to copy the imdb language strings from Modifications.english.php to your language version of the file.

This mod requires the PHP Function file_get_contents to be enabled.  If your host has disabled it, you will NOT be able to use this mod.

Features
o Admin settings [via Admin > Posts & Topics]
- Enable mod
- Enable imdb entry database caching (holds each film/name record for 7 days to improve speed) [recommended]
o BBCode Button to insert [imdb][/imdb] tags
- Works with full urls
- Works with ids only eg tt1234567 (for films) or nm1234567 (for people)
o Supports English/English-utf8

NOTE: It is not recommended to use more than a couple of these tags PER TOPIC, because otherwise you will get slowdown whilst the information is being grabbed for each IMDB tag.

Support
Please use the modification thread for support with this modification.
(Please don't ask me to do the edits for you)

Changelog
1.0 - 15th September 2007
o Initial release

HuRRR

Very good work my friend. Thanks very much for your great work, very appreciated. It's cool to see people like you who give us chance to make SMF advance.

My respect (sorry if bad english)

Thanks, HuRRR

Erbros

Very nice mod. You could remove the trailing slash from the url automaticaly. I will at least do it on my forum, cus I know people on my forum will forget to remove it themself.

MkC

No respect license!
QuoteLicense and Site Access
IMDb grants you a limited license to access and make personal use of this site and not to download (other than page caching) or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of IMDb. This site or any portion of this site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of IMDb. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents or any derivative use of this site or its contents.

Robots and Screen Scraping: You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on this site, except with our express written consent as noted below.

Framing: You may not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of IMDb and our affiliates without express written consent.

Meta Tags: You may not use any meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing IMDb's name or trademarks without the express written consent of IMDb. Any unauthorized use terminates the permission or license granted by IMDb.

Licensing IMDb Content; Consent to Use Robots and Crawlers: If you are interested in receiving our express written permission to use IMDb content for your non-personal (including commercial) use, please visit our Content Licensing section or contact our Licensing Department. We do allow the limited use of robots and crawlers, such as those from certain search engines, with our express written consent. If you are interested in receiving our express written permission to use robots or crawlers on our site, please contact our Licensing Department.

Linking to IMDb: You are granted a limited, revocable, and nonexclusive right to create a hyperlink to the IMDb site so long as the link follows our linking guide and does not portray IMDb, its affiliates, or their services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive matter. You may not use any IMDb logo or other proprietary graphic or trademark as part of the link without express written permission except as outlined in our help section.
http://french.imdb.com/help/show_article?conditions

karlbenson

hmmm.

I never found that, despite searching IMDB itself and downloading their full database.  It must be well hidden.  Even google didn't return it.

I've seen this mod used by hundreds of forums and various software providers. How do they get away with it?
I actually only created this mod as a replacement for the current IMDB mod for when the Turkish author disappeared.

After reading through it and I'm not a lawyer, I wonder whether it falls under the 'page caching' exception.  It is more ethical than any other infograbber I've seen in that it caches the page data so it doesn't get it from IMDB every time.

NEMINI

I'm sure you could just pop an email to imdb and they'll answer you.

On a side note any idea why this would clash with the smilie limit mod?

I have it set to allow 7 smilies per post but when I use the imdb tags it always tells me I am over the limit.
signatures are boring.

karlbenson

I am unaware until you posted that there maybe an issue with the smilie limit mod.

maybe there is some html which is similar to your smilie definitions?

Goto your smilie definition page (where all the codes are posted eg =D ;))
In a new window/tab post an imdb tag,
view source
find the bit the imdb tag adds and compare it to the smilie code definitions.

MkC

@karlbenson:
Sorry but:
QuoteRobots and Screen Scraping: You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on this site, except with our express written consent as noted below.
Your mod  extract data on imdb site......
The Turkish author no respect license perhaps, you too......

QuoteI never found that, despite searching IMDB itself and downloading their full database.  It must be well hidden.  Even google didn't return it.
Look cap1.jpg .....  :-X

QuoteIt is more ethical than any other infograbber I've seen in that it caches the page data so it doesn't get it from IMDB every time.
Nevertheless it is very clear:
QuoteLinking to IMDb: You are granted a limited, revocable, and nonexclusive right to create a hyperlink to the IMDb site so long as the link follows our linking guide and does not portray IMDb, its affiliates, or their services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive matter. You may not use any IMDb logo or other proprietary graphic or trademark as part of the link without express written permission except as outlined in our help section.

lhb

Any word on if this mod is a violation of the IMDb license?  Seems like a great addition, and a nice implementation.

karlbenson

no word as yet from imdb.

I've had lots of comments from 'other' people though.  Some say its ok, others not.

If I have to pull the mod, I won't be distributing it further. So if you want a copy, save it now.

MkC

Quote from: lhb on September 26, 2007, 08:42:18 PM
Any word on if this mod is a violation of the IMDb license? 
License IMDB:
QuoteRobots and Screen Scraping: You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on this site, except with our express written consent as noted below.
In the mod:
Quote// CREATE THE LINK TO USE (FOR BOTH FILM AND PERSON)
      $link = 'http://www.imdb.com/'.$link.$id;

// PREPARE TO GO GRAB THE INFORMATION FROM IMDB
      // SET USER AGENT SO AMAZON KNOWS WHO IS VISITING AND A FAST TIMEOUT
      ini_set('user_agent','SMF IMDB InfoGrabber');
      $timeout = ini_get('default_socket_timeout');
      ini_set('default_socket_timeout',5);
      $page = @file_get_contents($link);
:D

Quoteno word as yet from imdb.

I've had lots of comments from 'other' people though.  Some say its ok, others not.

If I have to pull the mod, I won't be distributing it further. So if you want a copy, save it now.

I too to redistribute the product smf modified  8)

For information the sites which use this mod are also in illegality, it is not very sly to encourage them.

karlbenson

All I'm saying is that that any sites which choose to use it, do so at their choice.
What people do with it once they've got a copy is their decision.
All I'm saying is once I'm forced to take it offline i won't be providing further copies.

Still no word yet.

Advertisement: