News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

how to turn of password encryption?

Started by hexxi, May 18, 2004, 12:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hexxi

I`d like to handle the user data with other programs. Passwords seem to be unreadable, encrypted. Is there any way to make SMF handle passwords just like normal text?

Besides the SMF, my website has some other pages like picture galleries which need restricted access. Ideally the website should just have a single login or at least user names and passwords should be the same for both the discussion forum and the gallery pages.

LiroyvH

you mean like, a normal password instead of the mySQL string?
Nope... that isnt possible...

well yeah maybe its still possible trough a certain program, but that will take your computer a few long days before it finally gots the password :-X
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Grudge

Turning off password encryption is, IMHO, nothing short of criminal unless you put a big notice informing people that their passwords won't be encrypted.

The passwords are generated using something called md5 and you can easily use the method to allow people to log in to the rest of your site. Infact if you include SSI.php (in your forum directory) into ANY of your other website pages you can immediatly find out all user information, including if they are logged in, without any complicated code.

There are many examples of how to do this - I recommend taking a look around the board - the whole of this site uses SSI.
I'm only a half geek really...

Spaceman-Spiff

It's a BAD BAD programming practise if you don't encrypt user passwords. You should just use SMF password function for the rest of the site/gallery, like what Grudge said. You can also try the Coppermine Gallery, since it can be intergrated with SMF user database.

Advertisement: