News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Saving Profile - time out

Started by Curbow 5, May 19, 2004, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curbow 5

For some reason, when editing profiles my SMF just 'hangs', times out. i suspect it to be a session issue, but I can't put my finger on it... I'll set up a test / test account, if someone wants to check it out.

My SMF and config

Oldiesmann

I'm not getting that problem from this end on your board, so it might be an issue with your browser or computer. Everything was nice and fast for me...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Curbow 5

i just saw you testing and saw you had no problem changing avatars + adding a sig, etc. i tried editing the test account myself and had no problem!

then i tried editing my own profile (changing my website name and adress) and it timed out again... :(

Curbow 5

to be more exact: i'm only having this problem when editing under 'Forum Profile Information' some of my members experience the same error...

edit: i think i've narrowed it down to the 'I have my own pic' option -> when using this it times out! it does this in the test account as well...

Oldiesmann

It's more likely the "Upload my own picture" option - not sure though. If you try to upload a huge image to use as your avatar, it probably would timeout (after 30 seconds anyway)...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Curbow 5

uploading a avatar doesn't give me any troubles..... but entering something in the 'I have my own pic' field does it for me: every time.

you wanna try to verify?

Oldiesmann

I tried linking to my own pic and it worked fine for me... I did run into an interesting error though - apparently if you try to upload a picture that's too big, it takes you back to that page, with Personal Pic highlighted in red, and the box for "I have my own pic" missing.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Curbow 5

maybe the problem lies in the URL of my avatar then? it has a '~' in it, did yours?
http://users.castel.nl/~hooga07/avatars/avatarcolor.gif

if this i error can't be resolved, i'll just disable the 'I have my own pic' option... :(

Grudge

You're correct - it is timing out for me too with the test account. It's not the tilde as I tried with another image. Do you have any other avatar settings enabled for the "I have my own pic" option - such as max width/height - automatic resizing etc?
I'm only a half geek really...

Curbow 5

Allow members to select an external avatar: checked (duh)
Maximum width and height: 65 x 65
Check the avatar size everytime it is displayed: unchecked
If the avatar is too large: let the HTML resize it

BTW my board is a Beta 4 -> 5 update

[Unknown]

It may just be slow because your server is timing out trying to get the file, or possibly it doesn't have internet access for PHP....

Still happening?  Maybe try turning off the size limits? (make them 0.)

-[Unknown]

Curbow 5

Quote from: [Unknown] on May 28, 2004, 04:14:10 AM
It may just be slow because your server is timing out trying to get the file, or possibly it doesn't have internet access for PHP....

that's right! it doesn't allow 'external connections', but then why is it happening without the 'download and resize it' through GD option?

i think my host is just goofy.....  :-\

[Unknown]

Even with "let html resize it" it has to download the file to check it's dimensions.  To see if it NEEDS to let html resize it.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: