News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

renaming "Child Boards:"

Started by Cypher7, May 21, 2004, 10:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypher7

Hey,

I want to change the text "Child Boards:" as displayed on the forum index (under the description of the Parent board) and on the Parent of the child boards, to something like "Sub Boards" or "Sub Catagories" ... where do I go to change that, and is it possible!?

is it anywhere here in the boardindex template? (not coded as it causes a massive side scroll!!)

// Show the "Child Boards: ". (there's a link_children but we're going to bold the new ones...)
            if (!empty($board['children']))
            {
               // Sort the links into an array with new boards bold so it can be imploded.
               $children = array();
               /* Each child in each board's children has:
                  id, name, description, new (is it new?), topics (#), posts (#), href, link, and last_post. */
               foreach ($board['children'] as $child)
               {
                  $child['link'] = '<a href="' . $child['href'] . '" title="' . ($child['new'] ? $txt[333] : $txt[334]) . ' (' . $txt[330] . ': ' . $child['topics'] . ', ' . $txt[21] . ': ' . $child['posts'] . ')">' . $child['name'] . '</a>';
                  $children[] = $child['new'] ? '<b>' . $child['link'] . '</b>' : $child['link'];
               }

Cheers,

Jay

Oldiesmann

Open up Themes/default/languages/index.english.php and look for $txt['parent_boards'] and change that to whatever you want.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Cypher7

great stuff that works a treat, also found some other text I wanted to change!

thanks a mil...

JayK

TarantinoArchives

i have a related problem.
How would I go about when deciding to re-style the way how childboards are listed.
currently, i have it like the SMF default template

Child Boards: Whateverboard

What I'd like to do is, make it something like this:

Child Boards: Whateverboard
                                Whateverboard 2

and the font sizes increased.
So that people easier see the Child Boards...
I found out that the class used is just "smalltext" and i didnt find a better CSS entry for the child boards

[Unknown]

It's in the BoardIndex template... search for "child".

-[Unknown]

TarantinoArchives

pretty cool, muchas gracias muchacho :-)

TarantinoArchives

got another question. right now i have:

echo'           
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="90%" style="margin-left:20px; margin-top:2px; border: 1px gray; border-style: dashed; padding: 2px;">
  <tr>
     <td class="smalltext"><i>Child Boards:</i></td>
     <td class="smalltext"><i>Last post:</i></td>
     <td class="smalltext"><i>Moderator(s):</i></td>
  </tr>';

/* Each child in each board's children has:
                  id, name, description, new (is it new?), topics (#), posts (#), href, link, and last_post. */
               foreach ($board['children'] as $child)
               {
               echo '<tr>
    <td width="30%" class="smalltext"><b><a href="' . $child['href'] . '">' . $child['name'] . '</a></b></td>
    <td width="40%" class="smalltext">', $child['last_post']['link'], '</td></tr>
    <td width="30%" class="smalltext">';
if (!empty($child['moderators']))
               echo '<i>', $board['link_moderators'], '</i>
</td>
</tr>';

what's giving me trouble is the BOLD RED  thing. i want the moderators of the respective child boards to be shown. what variable/array is it? the way it is right now it doesnt work

[Unknown]

I'm afraid the children of children are not loaded.

-[Unknown]

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 02, 2005, 01:09:03 PM
I'm afraid the children of children are not loaded.

-[Unknown]

nono. i dont want children of children. just the moderators of child boards

Curvalicious

Hi,

I'm sorry for reviving what appears to be a dead thread but I thought it was easier and less messy than starting a new one.

I want to change the name "child boards" to something else.  I've done the forum search and everything I've found has said to go into Themes/default/languages/index.english.php and look for $txt['parent_boards'] and replace 'child boards' with whatever I want it to say.

I'm wondering if this works for SMF 1.1 RC2 as well...

I have edited index.english.php in both the default theme and the custom theme I'm using and I have changed 'child boards' to 'game boards' but it still shows on the forums as being 'child boards'...

Have I done something incorrectly, or is there a different way to do this in SMF 1.1 RC2?  Preferably something easy as I really understand less than zero .php!

Thanks,

Advertisement: