News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Changes in style.css won't take effect

Started by jcommander, December 10, 2009, 07:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

owner: read, write (4+2)
group: read (4)
world: read (4)
= 644

That should let anyone make use of (read) your style.css file. Now, who is the owner? They will have write access, for editing and updates. Is '99' in the owner or in the group field?

jcommander

99 is in the group field.
Im suspecting the source. If Im running ver 1.1.10, is it right to just copy and paste whatever is in style.css if it comes from a different version?
Or both have to be the same version?

MrPhil

What version are you copying from? From 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 there was one line changed; nothing since then.

jcommander

Well, since I can't change diorectly from the .css file, I made a little experiment. Took the style.css from Khaki theme (compatible w/ ver 1.1.5, 1.1.6, 1.1.7) and it changed well. It should not be anyway ....

MrPhil

I don't get it. You say that you can edit style.css, and the changes don't show up in your forum. However, you can replace style.css with a different one, and you see the changes? That leads me to suspect that you're editing the wrong file, but replacing the right one. Or, you're editing incorrectly and the resulting CSS is ignored. You have checked that your edits are saved in the file, and are still there when you go back in?

From your earlier confusion about permissions, you still may not be using them correctly. Directories (folders) should be 755 (rwxr-xr-x). Files (including style.css) should be 644 (rw-r--r--). If it's not readable by "everyone", it may be falling back to the default theme's style.css.

jcommander

Thank you MrPhil and the rest of the staff, I uploaded a theme called Waltz, then made some editing and almost got what I want. Im sorry if I led you guys to any confusion. Also please bear with me that my first language is Spanish. Im happy with your support and keep up the good work!  8) 8) 8)

Advertisement: