Help converting from Yabb 1.3.1 to SE to SMF

Started by Satrina, May 23, 2004, 04:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satrina

Hi, I would really appriciate any help you can think of!

I have a YaBB 1.3.1 board that I want to become an SMF forum.

I installed a YaBBSE forum in a new directory, that is up and working.

I downloaded the converter yabb2yabbse_1-5 and ran that.

I gave the converted all of my information, it did a ton of stuff and converted several things, but I think it gets stuck somewhere on the messages. Here is the last thing it prints:

QuoteWe are now going to attempt to convert your message files. This may take a while.
Initializing member data for processing
Importing sticky topic data
Importing Categories

Inserting Categories

Inserting row 1 to 4
    Data inserted successfully!

Importing Boards

Inserting Boards

Inserting row 1 to 9

Importing 'mark as read' data

Inserting 'mark as read' data

Inserting row 1 to 71

Importing Board Logs

Inserting Board Logs

Inserting row 1 to 500
    Inserting row 501 to 825

Importing Topics

Then that is all it is done, there are no links or buttons on the converted page. So I go back to my main forum page and see it added the new catagories, and all of the original members, but there are no messages.

My original forum had about 7000 topics.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Also once this does work and I have a fully functional YabbSE,  I have the SMF upgrade I believe I need, do I install that inside of the same directory as the YaBBSE and "upgrade" that, or do I put all the new files inside of a new directory and it does like the Yabb converter, you tell it where the YabbSE stuff it?

The forum I am trying to convert to is here:

hxxp:myphotos.aboutbeanies.com/chat/index.php [nonactive]

Any help would be great thank you!

-Marie

Satrina

After adding some debug to the converter script I can tell it stops before it prints "test111"

echo 'test1';
                        if (!checkFile($_REQUEST['boardsdir'] . '/' . $boardname . '.txt'))
                                continue;
echo 'test11';
                        $boardFile = file($_REQUEST['boardsdir'] . '/' . $boardname . '.txt');
echo 'test111';

I don't know anything about php, is it possible to turn on more debug in a script?

UPDATE Well I tried running the script again after adding more debug and this time it didn't even get as far, only got to the " Initializing member data for processing" line this time. hmmmmm

-Marie

Springer

When you converted to yabbse did you go to version 1.5.X?  If so were all the members and messages there?

Ben_S

Are you sure the converter had finnished running?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Satrina

Welp nothing yet, it appears to have "finished" the browser stopped but that was it.

Im trying to convert this Yabb 1.3.1 (all the members are here)
This is just a copy of my active forum without any mods, just members, messages and boards from my active forum.
hxxp:myphotos.aboutbeanies.com/chatold/YaBB.cgi [nonactive]

to this YabbSE 1.5.5
hxxp:myphotos.aboutbeanies.com/chat/ [nonactive]

...back to try something else!

thanx!

--Marie

Ben_S

Satrina

Yup that is the one I am using. Can be run from here:

hxxp:myphotos.aboutbeanies.com/chat/yabb2yabbse.php [nonactive]

Install directory

/export/vhosts/myphotos.aboutbeanies.com/chatold

Current YabbSE dir

/export/vhosts/myphotos.aboutbeanies.com/chat

-Marie

ms_ukyankee

Hi, if your forum is large, it can take a good 10-15 minutes or more for it to import all of the messages, I had 30,000 posts on my board, and I was worried that it had stopped, but I left it, and it did import. How long did you leave it?
SMF since 2004 <3

Satrina

hmm I left it like 10 minutes, just in case, but the browser stop within 30 seconds of starting.

I want SMF!!!!! ;)

-Marie

Ben_S

If you have a large board, it may be an idea to install a webserver on your local pc and download your board and do the conversion there.

Thats how I did my gold > se conversion all those years back.

Satrina

Anyone know if there is a manual way to finish where the script left off? Load the database another way? Nothing seems to get it past that point, my old forum was about 7000 posts doesn't seem to to large.

I have direct access to the server, I just don't know enough about mysql and php yet.

hmmm....

Satrina

[Unknown]

Do you know what the memory limits and timeout settings are in php.ini?

Have you tried repairing your YaBB database?

-[Unknown]

Thunderace

I downloaded and uploaded a 44mb yabbse on 40k dialup (although I don't recommend it as a past time  :D)

What I did ..

in PHPMYADMIN I looked at the dB and noted the large tables, they were messages and topics.

I downloaded the big files first individually (gzip)

Then downloaded the rest as one unit. (gzip)

I found that if I uploaded (gzipped) SQL textfiles over 2.5 MB it would "time-out" so I broke the tables down into 2.5 mb chunks and uploaded them individually.

The only thing to remember is that if you break down "e.g _messages" into 4 chunks .. the 1st chunk will create a table so has to be done as an SQL command in the main DB

The subsequent "chunks" are only "insert" so do not create a table so must be done in the newly created table.

Don't know if this will help or not   :-\

About GZIP .. if you're not sure how to do this I highly recommend the free software HERE Just remember to zip files as gzip not 7-zip. I'm sure the guys here will know of better but it's been great to me.

krizz

I remember a small problem with converting yabb gold --> yabbse --> smf.

I'm not sure in which face of the process, but it's a problem with the sorting of the posts. After the upgrading all the posts are stored in database and displayed in SMF in exactly the other way sorting.

I remember it excists a script that solves the problem, but I can't find it any more.

Any help on that?

[Unknown]

Quote from: krizz on August 31, 2004, 05:29:22 AM
I remember a small problem with converting yabb gold --> yabbse --> smf.

I'm not sure in which face of the process, but it's a problem with the sorting of the posts. After the upgrading all the posts are stored in database and displayed in SMF in exactly the other way sorting.

I remember it excists a script that solves the problem, but I can't find it any more.

Any help on that?

This only happens if you use an older converter.  I have an updated converter on the forum at yabbse.org which is much preferred, and does not have such bugs in it.

-[Unknown]

krizz

You are correct! I tried it and it works fine!

thanks

crash07

Hello! :)

I try to convert my YaBB Gold 1.3.1 to YaBBSE, but I find out, that all [ quote author=XXXXX link=YYYY date=ZZZZ]... [ /quote] qoutes will convert to [ quote]... [ /quote] and DELETE all information about links to another postings, threads and boards! :(

Converter:
$messageinfo[8] = preg_replace('/\[ quote (.+?)]/i', '[ quote]', $messageinfo[8]);

Can you help me please!!!!!!

Thanx a lot in advance! :)

Ben_S

crash07

Quote from: Ben_S on September 22, 2004, 08:15:20 AM
Its a but in RC1, it will be fixed in RC2.
Hello Ben,

what do you mean with RC2: Release Candidate of SMF or RC of Converter from YaBB Gold to SMF? I have troubles with qoutes in converter from Yabb Gold to SMF - all qoutes will be delete!!!

Advertisement: