News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Help converting from Yabb 1.3.1 to SE to SMF

Started by Satrina, May 23, 2004, 04:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EG

you need to upload the database in MyPHP in Cpanel.

you cant FTP it

jezinho

Ouch!

Thanx alot! Though, it's still a bit confusing to me, as it doesn't say anything about "uploading" in PHPMyAdmin.
Is this the right menu to upload the files?

-> Databases -> [Choose Database] -> SQL -> Enter Location of the textfile

Though, another problem...uploading is limited to 8MB...my largest file is 60MB :-\

Ben_S

Thats the option, you can split the sql file into smaller chunks, just make sure as you not split it half way through a statement or ask your host to import it for you.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

jezinho

D'oh! I've no idea how to do this, but I also don't want to send 90MB to my host with my slow internet connection, and then maybe it's not working & I have to send it again. My host anyway doesn't like me at the moment, as they say my current Yabb 1.3.1 would slow down the server & I'd have to switch to another forum-software :-\

Is there maybe another way to do the upgrade online - As said, everything is going fine until it displays "Importing Messages" after about two minutes (Step6). After that nothing happens - and I waited several hours...and I started from scratch at least five times now - but the problems reamins, every time I try.

When I enter YabbSE after the unfinished conversion, all the Categories and Members are converted, but no topic and messages are displayed. When I delete the categories in YabbSE, it says "Removing Topic...Removing Messages", so it must have converted some messages. Is it maybe possible to split this Step 6 in two "smaller" steps?

[Unknown]

The YaBB converter is not very efficient.  As I've said before, I'm working on an optimized version that will be able to handle larger forums.  I am not done yet, however.

-[Unknown]

jezinho

My Yabb has about 5000 Threads, 95000 Messages and 1325 Users.
As said, if I do it offline, converting is no problem. But online it doesn't complete converting.

Could the size be the problem anyway (so that it might work if I delete some thousand postings)?

Ben_S

The size causes it, your host has the server configured to time out after a while. You could try deleting posts, but you may have to delete most of them.

If you could upload the file, I'm sure your host would do it for you since it gets you away from YaBB.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

jezinho

I've been deleting posts for about 15 hours now...deleted about 170 users, 1700 threads and 20000 postings...and still it won't run through :P

So all they'd need to do would be putting the FRM + MYI + MYD files into the mysql directory?

On my local installation I used a different username + password for mysql´- would it work anyway?

[Unknown]

You could use phpMyAdmin or a similar tool to copy over the converted database.

-[Unknown]

jezinho

Wow, what a fast reply :)

The problem is, I'm not sure how to do this for files bigger than 8MB (which seems to be the maximum file size for uploading). I already tried your "restore_backup.php" script, but it also doesn't run through :(

Do you know of similar tools?

[Unknown]

Please reply to the topic that contains restore_backup.php with those errors you got, and make sure you're using the most recent attached version I posted.

-[Unknown]

jezinho

D'oh!!!
I'm afraid...looks like I didn't use the latest version...after about 20 hours nonstop in front of my pc screen I just got a bit dull I suppose :D

After my last posting I downloaded another script called "Bigdump" which worked perfectly. SMF is running now...so all the deleting etc. was useless, as I uploaded my (original) database including all 95000 messages.

Anyway thanks for your help!
Despite all the problems while getting the database running I think I've switched to the best forum software around :)

Advertisement: