News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

PMs won't display in inbox

Started by Jessondair, October 15, 2006, 03:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessondair

I posted a similar thread about a month ago, but because I've narrowed down the problem, I'm posting a new thread asking for help.

The background: I upgraded from 1.0.8 to 1.1 RC3. There were a few errors that I was able to correct, one of which was the inability to view the outbox or send PMs, but because there was an error I was able to see that a row was missing from one of the tables involved, I created the row and that problem was fixed.

The problem that still exists is that the PMs will not display in the inbox.  There is no error message, and if I am sent a PM, I get a notification that I have a new message and the PM notification actually comes through my email, but the inbox is blank.. it doesn't say "there are no messages", it is just blank where the list of messages should be.

Today I deleted the entire forum and started over with a new install of RC3 and pointed it at the existing database, so there is no custom theme installed or anything, and the same problem exists. This tells me that the problem is in the database, but without an error to work with, I don't know what I'm looking for in the database to fix it. Any help would be appreciated in tracking down what's missing or miscoded in the database.

Thanks!

Jess

Pedja

I had similar problem after converting from phpbb to smf 1.1 rc3.

Check table 'smf_pm_recipients', field 'labels'. This files dhould have value of -1 for each personal message that is to be presented in inbox label.

Jessondair

Thanks for your suggestion!  I just checked that table and in the labels field, the default is set to -1 already.

Jessondair

I finally figured out that there is a list of changes that were made to the database in install_1-1.sql and have been going through that list table by table.  I don't know if these things are relevant but here is what I found:

smf_pm_recipients:

• In ID_MEMBER, deleted and is_read the types and attributes in the table didn't match what the sql file said it created.  I made those changes, but it did not affect the inbox.
  • The sql file shows this: PRIMARY KEY (ID_PM, ID_MEMBER),
      UNIQUE ID_MEMBER (ID_MEMBER, deleted, ID_PM) but there is no primary key and when I try to set the primary key, I get this error: #1062 - Duplicate entry '4' for key 1. And the (ID-MEMBER, deleted, ID_PM) key is set as "INDEX" and if I try to change it to "UNIQUE" I get this error: #1062 - Duplicate entry '1118-0-4' for key 1.

I'm not sure if the primary key and unique index type are relevant, but I thought it was worth sharing in case it could help ANYONE help me figure out where this is going wrong!

Thanks again... 

Jessondair

Further investigation...

In smf_pm_recipients, ID_PM for every single row is "4". When looking at the backup of the smf_im_recipients table, that's not the case.   

Is this what's causing my problem?  And if so, how do I fix it?

Jessondair

Well, I backed up the pm_recipients table and then renamed it.  Then I copied the backed up smf_im-recipients table from the old version and imported all the data and made that the new smf_pm_recipients table, adding the "labels" field so it was compatible.  Then I sent myself a message, and there it was! YAY!

So now the only thing missing is all the previous PMs that were in place before I upgraded. I have gotten pretty much no help with this from this support forum and would very much appreciate anything anyone can tell me about why messages that are in the same table in the database as the one I just sent won't show up in the inbox like the one I just sent. (I'm not trying to be snotty, I promise...  I'm exhausted and have been dealing with this for a month with no help, and I figure SOMEONE must know what they're talking about so I don't have to comb through every single field in every single table to figure this out.)

I offer a sincere thank you to anyone who can help me.

Jessondair

Do I smell or something? :'(

Not only can I not get the old PMs back, but the line at the top of the page where it says "you have 9 messages, 0 are new" takes me to a blank page in the PMs because it keeps trying to take me to page 2 and there is only one page of PMs.

If I'm askng questions that aren't appropriate for this forum or something, somebody tell me. I desperately need help here, guys.

青山 素子

DO NOT BUMP TOPICS NEWER THAN 24 HOURS.

Please send a backup of the database as it currently is, I'll take a look at it. It is rather difficult to visualise from your description. Send a URL in PM or a request for an e-mail or ftp to upload it to. Do not post publically (unless you like the world getting your board data).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Jessondair

Sorry, I wasn't trying to bump the topic just for the sake of bumping it, I thought I was adding additional information that would help troubleshoot.  In the future I'll just modify the first post.

Thanks for your help. I'm making a new backup now and will PM you the URL when it's done.

Advertisement: