News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

I am stuck on new install of SMF..

Started by Kat-2, September 18, 2006, 01:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat-2

SMF Version: SMF 1.0.8
Last night I was trying to install a fresh copy on my site. All was going well. I have all of my files loaded to ftp, and ready to go. I set all my 777 permissions. Then when it came to the next step, I typed in http://www.name of my domain.tfl/smf/install.php

Got ''Page Cannot Be Displayed'' each time I type that in my browser.

I was however able to get to the ''setup'' for the install by going into my domain and clicking on the smf folder.
Was in the process of filling out the info to do the install (username...host..etc), and ran into a problem (may have put username in wrong, not sure), and I lost it.
Now I can't get back to that at all. The link posted above still says ''Page Cannot Be Displayed'', and now when I go to the smf folder on my domain it says ''Cannot connect to the server, it may be busy''.

:( :( I am stumped....help please..

青山 素子

Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kat-2

Okay, thanks. I will try this and see if it solves my problem..

Kat-2

:( :(

Didn't seem to help anything. When I typed in the install addy, I still get ''Page Cannot Be Displayed''.

When I go to the domain and click on the smf folder I get

QuoteConnection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

WillieO

Im in a similar boat KAT Ill be patiently checking this forum to see if I can get my forum up and running.

青山 素子

The second error is because SMF isn't configured yet. We can ignore that one.

Do you have access to the apache error logs for your site? Also, can you provide a phpinfo (see: What is phpinfo.php?)?
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kat-2

I hope this was what you wanted...if not..duh, and sorry, splain it to me again...LOL :-[

http://www.kccite.com/smf/phpinfo.php

I am lot sure about Apache error logs. I went in, and there were none that I saw.

I hope I was clear that I never was able to finish the first steps in the first process. After I uploaded the files for SMF to my ftp, and changed my permissions to 777, I then started to fill the form out prior to being able to install the forum. When I was in the middle of that, I kept getting rejected and going back trying to put in the correct info for database..etc. Eventually I lost it all, and then could never navigate back to it.

青山 素子

I'm seeing a 404 on that phpinfo link. You sure it is up there?
Motoko-chan

Kat-2

Quote from: Motoko-chan on September 19, 2006, 12:25:53 AM
I'm seeing a 404 on that phpinfo link. You sure it is up there?

You mean all my files loaded into ftp??

Kat-2

I would like to ask you guys your opinion on something concerning SMF.
I have a good copy already on my site. Just put it in a little over a week ago. It is working very well. I installed it from my server CP, as they had it there offered to me. That was how I found SMF (and now love it!)

The reason I was trying to put another copy on another sub-domain was b/c I had someone to tell me it would be better to get a fresh copy loaded.

Do you think I will do just as well to go on and use the copy I have already installed? (both are same version). If so, that would sure solve my problem. :D

青山 素子

Will the forums be seperate, or are you just moving them?
Motoko-chan

Kat-2

Quote from: Motoko-chan on September 19, 2006, 10:49:41 AM
Will the forums be seperate, or are you just moving them?

I am not sure what you mean. The first and good copy of SMF is on one sub domain, and the one I am having trouble getting installed is on another sub domain.

I only need one. I wondered if the copy I have up and running, that was available to me via my host would do just as well, or if I need to put in fresh copy.

青山 素子

If you are installing it as a different forum than the other one, you will need to use a fresh install.
Motoko-chan

Kat-2

Just letting you know that I have my SMF converted (from phpbb), is up and running great. :D :D

I do have a couple of questions. I will ask here, but if I need to put in another area, just let me know and I will.

First, everytime I change themes, I have to go into FTP and reload the English file, as I lose a lot of the controls in the ADM Panel. It blanks out.
Anyone know why it is doing this?

Secondly, with Global Moderators....I am not used to moderators having power over me..i.e. being able to edit my posts..delete my posts etc.
Anyone know how to prevent this?

JayBachatero

If your theme has custom language strings this can happen.  If you change to the theme that you are editing it should load the correct languages.

You can stop this with permissions but if they are editing your posts for no reason then I think you should reconsider having them as moderators.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Advertisement: