News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum Frontpage

Started by Vinspire, September 19, 2006, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinspire

I plan to have a forum frontpage ... which software do you guys suggestion ?

Joomla , mambo or just use the tinyportal ?  ;) ;D :D

Kindred

what do you plan to do with your "front page"?

If you don't need all the optional components and tack-ons that joomla and mambo have, then I suggest tiny portal.   It uses the SMF interfacem displays news, and several "block" type content things...

Joomla/mambo is much more powerful... there are thousands of add-ons for both systems, but, unless you need all the extras, it's probably not worth the effort to set it up and keep it configured.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Vinspire

Quote from: Kindred on September 19, 2006, 11:48:08 AM
what do you plan to do with your "front page"?

If you don't need all the optional components and tack-ons that joomla and mambo have, then I suggest tiny portal.   It uses the SMF interfacem displays news, and several "block" type content things...

Joomla/mambo is much more powerful... there are thousands of add-ons for both systems, but, unless you need all the extras, it's probably not worth the effort to set it up and keep it configured.

Front page as in the main interface for my side ... Sorrry, I know I am bad in explaining this.

I got tinyportal installed on my site and when i browse through a site which used mambo and joomla ... it look super awesome.

Which one is more compatible with SMF ? ( joomla or mambo )

rockinaway

What Kindred was saying is, what do you want to do with your frontpage? If you want it plain then go for TinyPortal, or add ons for TinyPortal are good, but there isn't as much. But if you want a very flexible and a software with alot of modules then use Joomla.

They are both compatible with SMF but TinyPortal was actually built for SMF, so you don't have to do any extra changes to the software to 'fuse' with your forum, whereas with Joomla you do, but you can get good support for that.

What exactly do you want to do with it?
Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

Vinspire

rockinaway, i am still undecided of what i would like to use in my frontpage but it seems like tinyportal don't really cater my need as it is kinda basic. this is why i thought of making a survery regarding joomla or mambo.

rockinaway

Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

Vinspire

Quote from: rockinaway on September 19, 2006, 01:22:15 PM
What about MKPortal?

I will pass on MKPortal as I did use Tinyportal for some times and I am quite familiar with Tinyportal now.

The thing i like about Tinyportal

- The front page is easy to setup
- The theme changed together with the theme that you choose

The thing i like about joomla / mambo

- It is more advance & flexible

I've heard of SMSeo and that mod look kinda awesome except it is still buggy :(

rockinaway

Yes it is buggy, TinyPortal is built for SMF like I said therefore it joins the template. But MKPortal cn sort of.

Joomla doesn't of what I know, but yes it has more extras, more each day!

Vinspire

So, SMSeo is out from my list of choice.

I like joomla interface as it look more tidy and profesional - http://demo.joomla.org/

but

I also like tinyportal as it is made for SMF and the themes changed based on the forummers choice.

Is it possible for me to modify the tinyportal so it would look something like joomla ?  :-\

rockinaway

It could be done, but would be hard and time consuming I guess.

Well it really depends what extras you are after..

Advertisement: