Java SMF automated database backup

Started by viulian, September 24, 2006, 05:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viulian

I see ... I only tested Java SMF Backup with Apache / Nginx web servers.

I'm not sure I understand "I tried to open a log" .. you mean the log file from JSB folder ? In JSB there's a setting that allows you to have Debug logging. Please set it to debug and attempt another backup. Then, in the folder where you run JSB there will be a .log file - can you please paste the content of that file here ? (of course, you have to edit it to suppress your specific hostname, etc).

Also: It might that the server treats the browsers differently - you may try to fiddle with User Agent settings and act as Internet Explorer or Firefox ?

In the worst case scenario, in the past I've asked the users to activate a temporary admin user so that I can try it myself and try to figure out what happens.

Please keep me posted.

tfs

Quote from: viulian on November 30, 2010, 03:02:26 PM
Application doesn't have support for HTTPS. I will have time to investigate this, but in the weekend to come...

Any chance for an RC5 update that works with HTTPS?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

viulian

I've installed an HTTPS server and playing with it. I cannot give a time reference as I gave, since a lot of things are happening now, but I will get it done :)

tfs

Thanks.  Looking forward to using this on HTTPS when you get the time.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

perfec2

Is there a way I can back t up online and how?. And how can restore it?
I am using version 1.1.13

tfs

This program backs up your online SQL database to a file on your local hard drive.  To restore that database you'd use something like phpMyAdmin, which is a common SQL database administration program provided by web hosts.

viulian

I have an HTTPS version working, I've tested it against SMF 1.1 and it does the job.
In case the forum (website) is signed with a self signed certificate or with a certificate that Java Runtime Env / JDK does not trust, there will be an additional step to configure the certificate, as described here: http://blogs.sun.com/andreas/entry/no_more_unable_to_find

I've decided to keep the certificate management outside the application for now since:
1) I assume that if forum are HTTPS, somebody did pay for a trusted certificate (otherwise all users will get warnings, etc). Chances are that latest JVMs will trust these certificates too, so the additional step mentioned above might only be needed when testing (and using untrusted certificates).
2) there are many ways to do manage a keystore that includes a self-signed certificate (the simplest I found is above). Thus no need to complicate the application with an additional layer of checks (pass-phrase, keystore management, handling all new possible errors, etc).

I will release the application in 1 day, I need to test (and adjust the instructions) on Linux too.

perfec2

Quote from: tfs on March 20, 2011, 10:38:39 PM
This program backs up your online SQL database to a file on your local hard drive.  To restore that database you'd use something like phpMyAdmin, which is a common SQL database administration program provided by web hosts.

I mean backing it up online not on local hard drive(pc). As I use slow internet connect most times, I doubt if such connection would carry ou this work.

viulian

A new version (1.3.5) is available here: http://hex.ro/wp/projects/java-smf-backup/

Please let me know how it works! I've added also a small tutorial on how to setup the application to make a backup if the forum is signed with a self-signed certificate (or a certificate that JVM does not trust).

pitbull10

I have downloaded this and installed it to C: drive, desktop icon when clicked nothing happens?????
Learning how to code at my age is fun but need some help sometimes.

Ken.

Quote from: pitbull10 on March 23, 2011, 08:35:18 AM
I have downloaded this and installed it to C: drive, desktop icon when clicked nothing happens? ??? ?

You may need to run it as 'Administrator'... rt click the icon to select 'run as admin'.
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

tfs

Quote from: viulian on March 22, 2011, 03:26:03 PM
A new version (1.3.5) is available here: http://hex.ro/wp/projects/java-smf-backup/

Please let me know how it works! I've added also a small tutorial on how to setup the application to make a backup if the forum is signed with a self-signed certificate (or a certificate that JVM does not trust).

Seems to work fine.  Thank you so much!

tfs

Correction... It's not working for me.  The result file isn't a backup of sql...  it appears to be an HTML page that is being backed up... not the SQL database.

Also, when I turn off compression, I get a .SQL file, but it's still a GZ file, simply named .SQL.  And as I said, when the file is uncompressed, it's not really a SQL file... it's an HTML file.

This is on a HTTPS forum, running SMF 2.0 RC5.

viulian

There are some ways to tell what goes wrong:
a) try to rename the .sql file to .html and open it in the browser. Do you see an error ? Sometimes the forum, instead of replying with the raw SQL file, might show you an error page instead (and that's what the application picks up).
b) try enabling debug mode and see if there are any apparent issues within.

I hope that point A) will provide the details...

tfs

When I rename the .sql file to .gz, then uncompress it, I get an SQL file that is really an HTML file.  Then I rename that SQL file to HTML and open it in a browser.  Sure enough, it's my Forum Maintenance page displaying an error.  The error says "An Error Has Occurred! -- Your session timed out while posting.  Please go back and try again."

There's nothing in the forum error log.

I enabled debug mode but there's nothing in the log that jumps out at me.  I'm not sure how best to proceed.

tfs

Anything I can do to help resolved this HTTPS problem I'm having?

viulian

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, I was in the Easter break and did not have time to investigate :)
I will also try with the latest SMF version and see how it goes - will post an update in two days.

viulian

Can you please test this release : http://hex.ro/tracker/EasyTracker.php?id=22 ?

I had an error while detecting the sesc value for 2.0 RC5 SSL version (I've only tested with version 1.1.11 over SSL, and did not notice the error on 2.0 RC5).
Please choose version 2.0 RC2.X as usual and post back the results.

It should now work for SMF 2.0 RC5 (at least this is what I tried) over SSL.

tfs

Works now under ssl for RC5.  Thank you!!! 

yogesh_gamer

There are some problem in window 7.
1) Doesn't minimize to system tray
2) Can't open directly, run as administrator
3) Backup doesn't start automatically

Advertisement: