Java SMF automated database backup

Started by viulian, September 24, 2006, 05:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viulian

What app. version are you running ?
I run it on Windows 7 Ultimate as well as Windows 7 Home Premium without any issues. Is true that I keep the UAC disabled though, since I don't like the annoying popups for everything I do ..

PLAYBOY

Is there anyway to get an update on this? I think its a very useful program.

tfs

It seems to be working for me.  I'm using 1.3.6, which apparently isn't available for download on the home site.  I'm not sure where I got it from.  Perhaps from a link provided upthread somewhere. 
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

viulian

tfs - I think I've sent you the link on my post from April 28, 2011 to try out the HTTPS part.
Other than that, no changes in 1.3.6 as opposed to 1.3.5.

And thanks for mentioning it, I will update the website (since only you requested HTTPS anyway :) ).

tfs

You're welcome.  I'm not sure why Playboy would ask for an update, as it seems to be working fine with SMF 2.0 final for me.  I wonder if it's possible for different themes to break something?

I'm surprised that there's not more HTTPS going on since it's so trivial to steal a login on an unsecured network.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

PLAYBOY

Well the reason i asked for an update was because i couldnt see 2.0 on the list of forums. So i uninstalled it.
Its ok. I couldnt really figure out how it works anyways. I had some problems with it so i gave up. Going back to old cron job method.

Thanks anyways.

tfs

Oh, I see what you're saying now.  Yes, the last SMF option in the list is SMF 2.0 RC2.X, but it appears to work fine with 2.0 final for me.

viulian

Hello,

I've just released version 1.4.0, with support for SMF 2.0 Final (nothing changed in fact from SMF 2.0 RC5 related on how backup is handled through the browser). So if you still have 2.0 RC5, you can use this new release (but just select 2.0 from the dropdown).

The application also upgrades the configuration file, so before you uninstall, please copy it somewhere else then copy it back after you install the new version. The version of the forums will be updated automatically to SMF 2.0 (for 2.0 release candidates).

I've tested it also with SMF 1.1.14 as well as HTTPS and it works.

Here are the links:

JavaSMFBackup_1.4.0_setup.exe
JavaSMFBackup_1.4.0_linux.tar.gz

The source code: https://code.google.com/p/javasmfbackup/source/browse/#svn%2Ftags%2F1.4.0%2Ftrunk

Homepage of the application is here.

Please let me know in case of issues or success stories :)

tfs

Works great on my regular and HTTPS forums.  Thanks for the update!

tfs

Something to add to this would be the ability to run the backup while server is in maintenance mode.  I had to go to maint mode, and then wanted to run backup, but forgot that it doesn't work while in maintenance mode.

viulian

I hope you mean maintenance mode 1 (and not 2 when forum is unavailable)

:)

I will check to see how easy is to implement and what is different (because there shouldn't be too many things different as long as the username is that of an admin).

viulian

I notice in my logs that people are still downloading very old versions of Java SMF Backup .... Which probably don't even work on newer versions, etc.

Please always use latest version. In the short future, I will actually remove the old versions and all download links will provide the latest version (which works with latest SMF releases, 1.1 and 2.0 anyway).

I did not put any "call home" functionality or anything, so I have no way to warn users that a newer version is available, etc.

tfs

Quote from: viulian on September 01, 2011, 04:29:28 PM
I notice in my logs that people are still downloading very old versions of Java SMF Backup ....

SMF is still handing out JavaSMFBackup_1-3-3_setup.exe

http://download.simplemachines.org/?tools

viulian

I will contact SMF to put the latest version up for downloads :) I did the same in the past.

I've just disabled downloads for versions less than 1.3.5 (on my web page) and people will now be redirected to the project page to download latest version.

tfs

Any news on being able to backup a forum that is placed into maintenance mode?

Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > Enable Maintenance Mode

tenshico

I should of used this :x didn't think was updated,
also a bit off question but same thing, is there a away to automatically do it from linux SSH ?
i love to use this on my windows, but what about ssh script wise?

Kimmie

I just tried to use this and my download was empty when it should have been about 65MB.

ANy idea why?

tfs

Quote from: tfs on October 10, 2011, 02:44:40 AM
Any news on being able to backup a forum that is placed into maintenance mode?

Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > Enable Maintenance Mode

Bump

viulian

I will check to see how easy it is...
Basically, I thought of the tool as something that you use to make backups while forum is running, just in case. If I put the forums in maintenance mode, I can do local backups with mysql just in case something goes wrong - and since this rarely happens, I did not add such behavior.

I will investigate :)

Advertisement: