SMF and SEO ... SID , and Friendly URLs ... No Expert answer Yet

Started by Tarek, September 26, 2006, 10:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarek

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC3
Hello :
i have reviewed all topics about SEO And SMF , i found no answer for the following issues :

- SMF Sends SID : which is very bad for SEO .
OK you can add a Spiders array to detect spiders and send URLs without Session IDs ...

- Why Friendly URLs are not working in SMF , while it normally works in My Server ?
well , i think you could use .htaccess and adjust the script to work ..

here is the big issue , friendly URLs are very important for SEO , and you are not taking this issue seriously , no one topic about this issue is answered yet !
this is weired ,

please post here the steps to make .htaccess file and enable it manually for SMF 1.3 .

Isaac

There is no paid version of SMF.  The Charter Membership gets you the same thing as everyone else, but a bit sooner.  ;)

Tarek

there will be !
it is a matter of time, when all the bugs are fixed in the current version .
it is always the same, this is what have happened with vBulliten , and with others , starts open source , and then you need a licnce to use the forums ..

Isaac

Trekkie101

Google and others spider SMF just fine, the session ID is used just once and then disappears :)

H

Sometimes the session ID will appear for ever. This is a known bug with old versions of php and SMF 1.0.

Upgrading to 1.1 RC3 should fix this problem.

Quote- Why Friendly URLs are not working in SMF , while it normally works in My Server ?

Is php running as a module or CGI?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Tarek

Quote from: huwnet on October 01, 2006, 04:17:04 PM
Sometimes the session ID will appear for ever. This is a known bug with old versions of php and SMF 1.0.

Upgrading to 1.1 RC3 should fix this problem.

Quote- Why Friendly URLs are not working in SMF , while it normally works in My Server ?

Is php running as a module or CGI?

a php module

SleePy

Try this then
Admin -> Features and Options -> Tick "Search engine friendly URLs"

Save that and see if you get SEO urls..
If not there is a way I did to bypass smf checking of SEO support..
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Dannii

SMF 1.1 doesn't show session IDs to spiders it recognises.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Tarek

Quote from: SleePy on October 02, 2006, 12:32:39 AM
Try this then
Admin -> Features and Options -> Tick "Search engine friendly URLs"

Save that and see if you get SEO urls..
If not there is a way I did to bypass smf checking of SEO support..

oyes please let me know your way , in the amin Feature , it says your server won't work , and i know it will ...

Tarek

okay i have just tried to use
http://www.**************.com/forum/index.php/topic,1.html

and it worked fine , but the problem now is that the script won't change the linking to topics and threads  and boards .

do i need to update the script manually ?

SleePy

Yea. The test you just did confirms that your server can use it..

Do this..

Backup and Open:
/Sources/QueryString.php

Find:
// This should work even in 4.2.x, just not CGI without cgi.fix_pathinfo.
if (!empty($modSettings['queryless_urls']) && (!$context['server']['is_cgi'] || @ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo') == 1) && $context['server']['is_apache'])

Replace:

if (!empty($modSettings['queryless_urls']))

Save and Upload it..

And view your forum..
If you get a blank page Upload the Backup. Otherwise your should have the new urls..

Tarek

Quote from: SleePy on October 02, 2006, 09:54:45 PM
Yea. The test you just did confirms that your server can use it..

Do this..

Backup and Open:
/Sources/QueryString.php

Find:
if (!empty($modSettings['queryless_urls']) && (!$context['server']['is_cgi'] || @ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo') == 1) && $context['server']['is_apache'])

Replace:

if (!empty($modSettings['queryless_urls']))

Save and Upload it..

And view your forum..
If you get a blank page Upload the Backup. Otherwise your should have the new urls..
thank you so much , finally , it is now working :)
thanks ...

SleePy

No Problem...

I think SMF needs to have that detection imporoved or at least a way to force with without editing the file..

godboko

Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

SleePy

apaches mod_rewrite is your only answer. I am not good at that so I can't help you there..

but basicly you need to take all requests and redirect them though correctly.. and then in load.php remove the part that addes index.php when it creates $scripturl.

godboko

Quote from: SleePy on October 15, 2006, 11:05:01 PM
apaches mod_rewrite is your only answer. I am not good at that so I can't help you there..

but basicly you need to take all requests and redirect them though correctly.. and then in load.php remove the part that addes index.php when it creates $scripturl.

Ok that's what I thought but thought I would ask. I will see what I come up with but the devs might consider making this an option in SEO friendly URL's.
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

Advertisement: