News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Notifications not working?

Started by garybeck, May 28, 2004, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garybeck

Hi,
I have a board where this box is checked:

Notify on Announcements
Sends an email to members when new topics are posted.

It doesn't seem to be working.  How can I check that everything is set up correctly in regards to this?

Thanks
Gary

[Unknown]

Are you sure emailing is set up properly?

Have you set the related settings in Edit Features and Options?  Can it send other emails?

-[Unknown]

itomic

I have the same problem using  SMF 1.0 Beta 5 Public.

- Yes, my board can send other emails (e.g. email all members)
- Yes, as far as I can tell, I have set the related settings in Edit Features and Options - eg. mail option set to sendmail.

Any other tests, suggestions? It's probably me - I only installed SMF yesterday and so far VERY impressed. :-)

[Unknown]

Remember that it won't send notifications to YOU when YOU reply.  Obviously you know about the reply if you made it ;).

-[Unknown]

itomic

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 22, 2004, 04:55:00 PM
Remember that it won't send notifications to YOU when YOU reply.  Obviously you know about the reply if you made it ;).

No probs.

The issue as I understand it is not about replies - it's about (not) auto-emailing all members when a new topic is posted by any member. As admin of my own board I've also got a standard registered members account, and when a new topic is being posted by myself (either as admin or a member) or anyone else, no-one is being auto-notified.

[Unknown]

Do you have any access to your mail logs or anything?  Perhaps the server is not sending the messages for some reason?

-[Unknown]

itomic

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 24, 2004, 12:46:02 AM
Do you have any access to your mail logs or anything?  Perhaps the server is not sending the messages for some reason?

-[Unknown]

Nothing in the mail queue on the server right now... will be able to gain access to the mail logs tomorrow and will let you know.

That said, surely the same email mechanism that allows me as administrator to email all members (which works fine) is the one that should be emailing all members when a new topic is posted? If this is the case, then I don't expect to see much in the mail logs, but I'll reserve judgement on that :-)

[Unknown]

True, but the message is different.  It shouldn't matter, but we can't know until we see, huh?

Do you get notifications for this topic? (assuming you have them on...)

-[Unknown]

itomic

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 24, 2004, 05:48:01 PM
Do you get notifications for this topic? (assuming you have them on...)

Yup, no problem, and I get notifications normally through my own forum board when someone replies to a post that I have made.

[Unknown]

Sorry, I admit I was misunderstanding you a bit.  Reading back, I can't understand why I did.... sorry.

Hmm... okay... can I have a test account on your forum, at all? (I may want you to do some test posting, etc.)

Is this happening when they have requested notification from the board?  Or is it with boards you have set as announcement boards?

-[Unknown]

itomic

itomic

Something else to note: even though as administrator when setting up a new board I'm checking the box that says "Notify on Announcements", I notice on the board itself (now logged in as a normal member), the button 'NOTIFY' is present in between 'MARK AS READ' and 'NEW TOPIC'. Clicking on it pops up a javascript dialogue box that asks 'Are you sure you wish to enable notification of new topics of this board?'.

My point: if the 'Notfify on Announcements' checkbox was working as intended, then I guess that the 'NOTIFY' button should either not be there, or disabled, or a different message should appear when the button is clicked on, eg. 'Notification of new topics already enabled by administrator'.

Don't know if that helps... :-)

itomic

No resolution here yet - anyone?

Yonkey

I'm experiencing the same problem.

As Administrator, if I post in a board with "Notification on Announcements" enabled on the Modify Boards screen, then all my users receive the e-mail.

However, when I post as a regular user, no one receives any notifications.  I should mention that I do not use pure regular accounts.  Each member belongs to a member group, but Administrator and Global Moderator belong to secondary groups as well as the primary groups.

I'm also baffled by the Notify button appearing in a forum's message index when you set a board to have "Noficiation on Announcements" enabled and have disabled "Allow users to disable announcements".  ???

[Unknown]

That actually will change.. currently, you must be an administrator to send an email announcement/post.

Compuart proposed a system to change this, and may soon implement it.

-[Unknown]

itomic

Sorry to labour the point, Unknown, but have you got anything to add re: my problem? Did you get my PM with passwords and the like?

Just to review/refresh: When any member makes a new post, then I want all members to be automatically emailed to alert them to this, and I believe I've configured my forum to achieve this. I believe this functionality should work, but currently it doesn't, so really all I'm looking for is advice to say that my understanding is correct (that this should work), and whether it works for anyone else (so that I can dream of it working for me!).

Thanks! :-)

Yonkey

Quote from: itomic on July 05, 2004, 08:00:44 AM
Just to review/refresh: When any member makes a new post, then I want all members to be automatically emailed to alert them to this, and I believe I've configured my forum to achieve this. I believe this functionality should work, but currently it doesn't, so really all I'm looking for is advice to say that my understanding is correct (that this should work), and whether it works for anyone else (so that I can dream of it working for me!).

Thanks! :-)

This is the exact same thing I'm trying to achieve.  However, I've only seen it send out a notification to all members when I post as an Administrator.

According to [Unknown], it is currently only possible to send out e-mail announcements as an Administrator, meaning as of Beta 5 all non-Administrators are unable to send out e-mail announcements when posting in Notification Boards.  :)

[Unknown]

If you don't have a lot of members, please just ask them all to request notifications...

I got even busier really fast, so I don't have time to change this for you right now.

-[Unknown]

Yonkey

I have about 40, but it's alright since most of them haven't noticed yet that I'm the only one that can post announcements.  ;D

itomic

Quote from: [Unknown] on July 05, 2004, 11:34:12 AM
If you don't have a lot of members, please just ask them all to request notifications...

I got even busier really fast, so I don't have time to change this for you right now.

-[Unknown]

If I become a charter member
1) Is this notification problem fixed in the latest version of smf? It's essential that all members receive an auto-notification when any member starts a new thread with a new post.
2) If 'no' to point 1), then does charter membership mean that someone will fix the bug just for me? :-)

Thanks!

Advertisement: