News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Turns Three!

Started by Oldiesmann, September 29, 2006, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

I am happy to announce that today is a historic day for SMF. It was on this date three years ago that SMF 1.0 Beta 1 was released to Charter Members. It's hard to believe that it's been three years since then, and even harder to believe how far SMF has come in just three years. I don't think anyone could have predicted that SMF would become as popular as it is today, and we couldn't have done it without you.

As a way to say thanks to everyone who has helped to support this project over the past three years, we have decided to unveil the SMF Function Database. Here you will find information about every one of the hundreds of functions contained within SMF, organized by file. Compuart came up with the idea several months ago, and somehow I got hooked and spent most of my free time documenting functions. My initial plan was to get it finished by the time SMF 1.1 Final was released, but I got so much done so quickly that we decided to release it early. Please note that it is still a work in progress, so your comments and suggestions are more than welcome. I think everything is correct, but should you run across any bugs or find something that we forgot, please let me know.

As an added treat, I would like to show everyone just how much SMF has changed. Attached you will find some screenshots of the admin center in SMF 1.0 Beta 2 - the oldest version of SMF that I could find - which was released a couple months after 1.0 Beta 1. If you are interested in seeing more, please check out http://smf.oldiesmann.us/beta2/index.php.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has helped to support us over the past three years. We are especially grateful to those who helped with the initial beta testing.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Harzem

Good ol' SMF :)

Happy birthday!

Revo1

Happy birthday, and may you (we) have many more! :D

Alan S

Smf has come a long way in the last 3 years. That much is pretty clear from the screenshots. I remember i was first introduced to smf 3 years ago on a local forum. Of couse i had no idea about forums,coding etc..... in fact i remember spending about 1 hour trying to figure out how to post ( I was 11.......give me a break :P )

Happy Birthday Smf!
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

codenaught

Whoa! :)

Happy Birthday SMF! As you grow, you keep getting better. :)
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

J. Williams

This is just amazing, 3 years old :D Can't wait for the next birthday of SMF
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

Aaron

Happy birthday SMF! :D

And good job on the functions list, Oldiesmann and Compuart! :D

FunPika4

Wow! Three years old!? Amazing! I am pretty new to SMF (recently used the install package for 1.1 RC3). If only you could have released 1.1 final to celebrate. :P

codenaught

Quote from: funpika on September 29, 2006, 04:59:48 PM
Wow! Three years old!? Amazing! I am pretty new to SMF (recently used the install package for 1.1 RC3). If only you could have released 1.1 final to celebrate. :P
But then the 4th birthday of SMF would also be the first birthday to the buggy 1.1 final release, we wouldn't want that now would we? Now I know you probably weren't completely serious, and I do admit of course it would have been nice to release SMF 1.1 final on SMF's birthday, but somethings just don't work out the way we would like. ;)

Oh and I did forget to mention in my previous post, Compuart and Oldiesmann sure did a great job on the functions database. Big thumbs up goes to the both of them. :)
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Trekkie101

Harro

Happy birthday SMF! :D
Didn't know SMF was already this old ;)

And great work on the function database!
Really usefull!

SleePy

Happy Birthday..  :P

Been Great since I came here...
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Isaac

Wow, has it really been 3 years?  ::o

Truly hard to believe it's been that long, and SMF has come this far.  Great job on making it this far team.  Here's to another 3.  :)

winrules

Happy Birthday SMF :)

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

SKETCHi

* SKETCHi opens a bottle of champagne

The next three years will be even better :).

Daniel15

Happy birthday SMF! This reminds me, it's been about 2 years since I started using SMF :D
Haha, I just checked, and I still have my local SMF Beta 5 Public, 1.0 and 1.0.1 testing installations... And I'm still using SMF 1.0.3 on my main SMFShop installation (I should really get around to upgrading them! :P. I do have several other testing installations, though.)
Indeed, I remember the excitement when SMF 1.0 Final was released ;)

I wish all this documentation was available when I started coding SMFShop... I had to take apart a few files just to see how they worked :P. Lucky for [Unknown]'s help, otherwise I wouldn't have got far ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Gary

Quote from: daniel15 on September 29, 2006, 09:46:05 PM
Indeed, I remember the excitement when SMF 1.0 Final was released ;)

There will be more excitement when 1.1 goes Final. (I have a DeLorean :P)

Still, happy birthday SMF.

-AwwLilMaggie
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Skipdawg

Happy 3ed SMF may there be many many more.  8) ;D ;)
Skipdawg's Community