Can't get past FTP in the installer?

Started by [Unknown], May 30, 2004, 01:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jitspoe

A note: Since I didn't have FTP set up on the server, I had to manually set the permissions with sftp.  In addition to the directories/files you stated, you also need to chmod the directory containing all of them (in my case it was "forums") to 777.

toontastic

I was curious about this to try and get my package manager to work. So I tried that file and got this error

An error occured while trying to connect. The error was:

550 Failed to change directory.

Details I used were

FTP Server: Localhost Port:   21

Username:  my username
Password:  my password

FTP Path:  /virtual/newcastle-online.com/html/newnufcforum

[Unknown]

Try this path:

html/newnufcforum

-[Unknown]

toontastic

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 26, 2005, 03:13:43 PM
Try this path:

html/newnufcforum

-[Unknown]

Same error and it automatically reverts back to the old path.

An error occured while trying to connect. The error was:

550 Failed to change directory.

[Unknown]

What directories do you see when you log into your FTP?  For example... well, as I said before:

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 31, 2004, 03:42:08 PM
So, if you see this in your FTP:

+ public_html
    - cgi-bin
    + forum
       - attachments
       - Packages
       - Smileys
       - Sources
       - Themes
    - some other folder

Type:

/public_html/forum/

-[Unknown]

toontastic

Ah right I put the full path in (was something daft like virtual/var/www/html/newcastle-online.com/nufcgallery) and that has worked. At last I can use package manager :) Thanks for all your help. Is there any reason why it picks up the wrong path when it does it automatically ?

scorptile

hi i get this error when i dont put in a password.

The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some hosts, you have to create the database in your administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefixes - like your username - to your database names.

and i get this when i do put in the password

Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.

i put in the correct information and i have manually went in and made all the files i am supposed to 7's and still get errors..can someone tell me what im doin wrong or is it that my host doesnt support this?

[Unknown]

Quote from: toontastic on April 29, 2005, 06:25:25 AM
Ah right I put the full path in (was something daft like virtual/var/www/html/newcastle-online.com/nufcgallery) and that has worked. At last I can use package manager :) Thanks for all your help. Is there any reason why it picks up the wrong path when it does it automatically ?

Because it's impossible to know without knowing what FTP server is installed and how it is set up, usually.

Quote from: scorptile on April 30, 2005, 11:07:32 PM
The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some hosts, you have to create the database in your administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefixes - like your username - to your database names.

I'm almost sure your host doesn't allow you to use just the "smf" database.  Read the installation readme, which came with the file you downloaded.  Contact your host if you don't know what information to use.

-[Unknown]

myst

i have installed the atributes manually but still the ftp asks to connect which i cant by givin the details of the ftp though those are corect
the message is
Unable to connect to FTP server with this combination of details.

plz help me
is the 1.0.4 also asks for the same thing
i had 1.0.3

[Unknown]

What details are you using?  Are you sure the path is correct?

-[Unknown]

misscalais

I had heaps of probs trying to apply mods in the package manager via ftp and I couldnt figure out why?

then a light globe went off LOL

it comes up automatically as /forum as your local path to SMF but for me using cpanel it is :: /public_html/forum so it seems whatever u have directly behind your ftp domain address such as ftp://mydomain.com/public_html/forum [nofollow] is what you use !

lol seems so obvious now but think it would be better suited left blank if possible as to not confuse more ppl ??

myst

thank you
the mistake was of path
the default path was wrong
i changed it
and it worked
i m feeling great thank you

Tye

Okay I can not get to the page where you are supposed to install smf on to, once you have uploaded all of the files. I have followed all the instructions, created the directory called forum, uploaded smf install package and changed all of the chmod to 777. The problem is when I go to

http://tyrcar.100webcustomers.com/forum/install.php

all it does is leave me back to the cpanel home.

Now just so people don't add here is details of what I am using

100 web space as my hoster
FileZilla for my ftp manager.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

[Unknown]

KingKoz

I'm running WinXP SP2 and when I try to add mods, some of them ask for the FTP info. Took me awhile to figure it out, but I finally got it to work (most of the time anyway)

- In the HOstname (where it defaults to "localhost" I use the IP
- Obviously, your username and password for the FTP and don't forget to  change the port if you don't use the default port 21.
- For the path to the forum (where it defaults to "/forum") I ended up getting it to work with the FULL path to the forum dir...i.e. c:/program files/apache group/apache2/httdoc/mydomain/forum (NO .com or whatever for the mydomain and it worked. I played with  it a little tonight and tried http://www.domain.com/forum but that didn't work. However, the error msg SMF gave me pointed me to just using domain/forum and that worked also. Now if I can just get past the error msgs, hacking attempts and the Not writable issues, everything would be hunky dory! ;-)

Hope that helps......

Koz

SmallTalkNation

If the ftp transfer does not work, am I supposed to get an error message?

[Unknown]

Quote from: SmallTalkNation on August 06, 2005, 07:14:11 PM
If the ftp transfer does not work, am I supposed to get an error message?

No FTP transfer takes place.  It only changes the permissions on a set amount of files.  If it fails, partially, you may be able to continue.  I would suggest just making them writable yourself.

-[Unknown]

SmallTalkNation

Tried it, to no avail. 777'd every file listed, on Linux. Used right localhost, etc.

[Unknown]

Are you sure you are chmoding the directories, not just the files within them?  Actually, for example, the attachments directory should be 777, but attachments/index.php should probably not be.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: